2013 Wrx exhaust. Is it the same hangars and underbody as STI?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by chriswelckle, Nov 30, 2012.

1. chriswelckle

chriswelckle Well-Known Member

I bought an exhaust that doesn't quite fit. I ordered a 2012 WRX/STI hatch exhaust and the seller says it only fits STI. It seems one weld could have been twisted about 15-30 degrees and it would have fit fine everywhere. But instead it will hit the rear beam along side the rear diff. I need some expert advice!

2. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

I know that my exhaust currently on my 2009 WRX fit using the 12+WRX/08+ STI exhaust I picked up.

3. spudd

spudd Well-Known Member

its the same except for the factory down pipes are different.

4. chriswelckle

So this guy is bull****ting me when he says it only fits Sti's.? The downpipe ends in the same spot?

5. ofspunk7

Well to be 100% we would need to know the exhaust.

Here is a LINK to what I have. (same exhaust minus the Titanium Tip)
    Notice the name -
    Invidia Q300 Titanium Tip Catback Exhaust 08-13 STi / 11+ WRX- Hatchback

Like I said I put this on a 2009 WRX no problem. I am 99.99% sure it would be the same for any exhaust you would buy. To be 100% let us know the brand and model.

6. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

The entire exhaust system for the 08+ STI hatch and the 11+ WRX hatch is exactly the same.

Please post the model and photos if possible.

7. ofspunk7

Ben may want to buy it from you for a week. :uhhuh:

Mr.Tran and ShortytheFirefighter like this.
  8. chriswelckle

M2.
    [​IMG]

It hit at the rear beam/sway bar. To keep it from hitting, and still install it, we bent the muffler mounting tabs up about 2-3 inches. It took 2 people really pushing hard to get the mounting bungees to attach, because as they go up, they turn inward in an arc. It's installed now, but the mid bungee can't be useable, and it hangs too low and looks bad to me. You will notice the mid section has a collar which is room for rotation error at the muffler. But the rest of that mid section needs to be rotated slightly. It looks as if it needs to be cut at the weld just behind the first hangar and rotated to clear the beam. You can see the weld in the photo.

I will post more as my emails come in.

9. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

m2 performance? I'd guess it's just poor fitment. All I know of the company (aside from rumors that it's a Megan sister company/offshoot) is that they offer an exhaust for my car that is seriously 1/4 the price of the second cheapest option out there (http://www.m2performance.net/index....-2004-twin-turbo-axleback-exhaust-system.html vs http://www.agency-power.com/catalog/agency-power-exhaust-system-porsche-996tt-p-33955.html). So I'm guessing a lot of that margin comes at the expense of fitment.

10. chriswelckle

I'd tend to agree with that. Now, moving forward, I wonder how to deal with what I have. Btw, I LOVE WHITIES!

Let me try to add some photos.

undercar.jpg
    You'll notice the hangar not attached. Now cut that weld just behind the hangar and rotate everything aft should give me the clearance I need.

phi11 likes this.
  11. chriswelckle

exhaustswaybar.jpg
    All of this should drop from the left to the right and angle down(it has a collar at the muffler that has a rotatable attachment) and that should clear the beam.

12. idget

I bet you could bend that hanger up with a pair of channel locks. Otherwise a Kartboy (or similar) extra long hanger would do the trick.

13. chriswelckle

My problem is, no lift to get under it easily. I have a mig welder, but I can't weld as nice a they did, and not even sure if you should use that type of welder on stainless.....

14. chriswelckle

A little tougher than that, but a monkey wench with a leverage bar attached will do it. It still hangs too low...not really a fix.

15. chriswelckle

exhaustfist.jpg
    I don't like it when someone can fist my car! It need to fit way better than that.:facepalm:

16. idget

Oh I see what you mean now (I replied before seeing the second pic). If it were me I'd just use an extra long hanger (http://www2.kartboy.com/x4/product.php?productid=16212&cat=262&bestseller=Y) and dent the exhaust where it's rubbing. Early bugeye exhausts had a fitment similar issue with the midpipe/trans tunnel.

Alternatively, you may be able to get the rotation you need at the flange by slotting the mounting holes. Hard to see how much material you are working with at that joint. But yeah, failing that, your solution would work. Albeit more time intensive.

17. idget

ok, I need to wait to post apparently lol. Yeah that's waaaaay off!

18. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

METOOCAPSLOCKS!!!!!!!!111!!1!!1!!111!1!11!1!11!

19. chriswelckle

mufflercollar.jpg

Here is the driver's side just behind the rear tire. That connection is a collared flange giving full rotation. I think a combination of rotating there, and a cut of the weld or near that weld I showed earlier might net what I need.

20. chriswelckle

So now, does anyone have a sawsall and a tig welder who can help?

21. chriswelckle

Well actually, I have a sawsall, I really just need someone who has a welder and a lift....I have beers, and a few bucks..

22. chriswelckle

I am starting to think the cut/pivot point should be in front of that mid hangar.......

23. idget

24. chriswelckle

If I cut behind the flange in front of the mid hangar, give it a twist, the rest should line up. Of course I have to loosen the flange at the muffler to get the rotation, but I think that mid hangar will move right and into better position to be utilized. That may be where the problem is at.

Thanks Sheen. It is Sheen, right?

25. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

That just looks like a poor fitting exhaust. That spot is close with some other exhausts but I've never seen one even close to that bad. Good luck getting it sorted out.

chriswelckle likes this.
  26. idget

Yessir :wavey:

Good luck with the exhaust. Pita that you have to cut it up to make it fit. Hopefully it sounds good.

27. chriswelckle

it does sound good. not too loud....of course the down pipe is not installed yet.

28. chriswelckle

Waiting on the delivery of a connection flange(since I can't get a TIG welder.) I may have to use my mig welder to attach the bands to the original exhaust.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. chriswelckle

Apparently my mig welder CAN weld stainless. I just had to buy stainless wire. I will post the fix. Hopefully it isn't a total cobbled up mess; as I don't weld often.

30. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

sorry I never got back to you.. I just saw you left me a few messages......... I rarely come on here...

let me know if you are still stuck... yes a mig can weld SS with the right wire... helps to have pure ARGON too or the right mix in a MIG... TIG you need pure argon... I dont have SS MIG wire here but I have a TIG...

31. chriswelckle

Okay. We will be using a mig with argon and ss wire. I'm sure it will be a bit of an abortion for a weld, but we'll get it.....

32. chriswelckle

Just a final follow up. I did some work the other day on the exhaust. What we had to do was drop the exhaust, except for the first pipe from the down pipe. Also, we loosened the down pipe connection. We loosened the muffler pivoting piece and cranked it lower. It actually swung so low that it hit the ground when we were re-installing the muffler. Then, with every connection as loose as possible, we twisted the entire exhaust to the max and tightened down each connection, one by one(while I pulled down on the critical spot(axle area.) After all was re-tightened, it all fit. The mid hanger was a little off, but useable. If they would have had all connections fit a little better, and a longer hangar in the mid section, there would have been no problem. Also, I was working with my father in law, and he is a bit of a meat head. He was the one who tightened the muffler, before it was in a good position...that may have been the ultimate reason why it was so off. It was likely twisted in the max opposite position of what it needed.....

At least it's in, no welding, no cutting!

Thanks to all who responded!

33. idget

Sometimes this, along with a BFH are the best tools for the job!
    Glad to hear it's all taken care of. FWIW, the porsche guys mentioned earlier are saying the same thing about fitment of this brand except most times it doesn't fit at all.

34. chriswelckle

I've got a small amount of bending yet to go. When viewded from the back, the left side tail pipes are just slightly lower. That's now an easy tweek... Maybe I will get out my BFH yet!