custom wrx fiberglass subwoofer enclosure group buy

Discussion in 'For Sale : Car Parts' started by silence, Jan 2, 2008.

1. silence

silence New Member

I'm going to be making some number of custom enclosures which will fit 02-06 wrx's. They will fit into the "space" in the side of the trunk directly in front of the tail light and likely replace the entire trunk "liner" for that side.

I have a ton of experience with fiberglass and they will be of very high quality and customized to your exact needs (woofer cut-out diameter and enclosure size).

I'm going to be able to save everyone money by molding the parts of the enclosure which "fit" the vehicle using my own 2002 such that i can make easy replicas of the sides of the enclosure which have to be identical for everyone. It will then be easy to customize to fit each individuals needs for the part that shows.

This will allow me to keep the cost somewhere just north of $200 for the enclosure in carpet.

You want one of these because they will be-

light
    strong
    built with an emphasis on the sound
    fit perfectly to your car and your needs

I will be able to accomadate a wide range of woofers- but will also be able to provide woofers for anyone interested (as well as to help point people in the direction of appropriate woofer choices from elsewhere)

-drew

if i'm breaking any forum rules by posting this please let me know. I can always be reached at [email protected]. There are some very old pictures of my work at wattsupcustoms.com (in the how-to). I'm sure some of you have seen my work in local car shows (my white flamed ford explorer won best truck or suv in mn at autovations a couple years back, and my mercedes C43 made the rounds a bit last year)

2. Taras

Taras BANNED

I am totally in!

3. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

Are they going to be for the Passenger or the Driver's side? How easily can it be removed? Will this include a grill? How will amps mount?

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

I believe Silence a I agreed driver side, someone else pointed out the water sprayer tank is on the passenger side for the STi. It should be very similar to this product ....

[​IMG]

only cheaper. As for the amp that is all totally up to you, the company that makes the above box makes this ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just mounted mine under my passenger side seat. That way it gets airflow its out of the way and the power and ground cables were easy to run.

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

Yes here is the STi water spray tank minus the Aquamist sticker and pump
    [​IMG]

6. silence

silence New Member

I am actually considering using a bit more space than that one (replacing that entire inner trunk "side") and therefore having a nice place to mount the amp as well. This is still upon to debate though- i'd like to find a consensus amongst the interested parties as to whether or not that would take up too much space. Otherwise i do have a welder and some smarts and could easily fabricate something to mount amps under the decklid (however, the solutoin there isn't likely to be included in the cost). Additionally, the fact that many people will use drastically different amps adds to the potential cost here. I'll look in to the possibility of cheap universal metal brackets that one could just add some mdf to in order to change amp size.

Grilles will be dependent upon the woofer that each person uses- since that part of the enclosure will be fully custom for each person i'll be able to make it work with any grille.

It will mount using the same stock bolt location as that other company uses- plus likely 1 more (again this depends on a consensus from some of the interested parties- since i'm not sure how large people will want this to be yet)

-drew

7. PimPreza_WRX

PimPreza_WRX Well-Known Member

when would you start making these and how many people would you need?Also as far as finish product when would that be.

8. silence

silence New Member

I am going to do it with just the people already in- I'm going to be making my own either way and may as well.

I should be able to knock out the mold and the first 3 or 4 in one weekend (2 days)

Currently, i've got my "other" project (supercharging my C43 amg) running, but not tuned. Assuming things go well it is going back into storage after next monday and then i can shift my main focus to this. We could have finished products by the end of the month for sure.

I am planning on raising the price just a bit down the road- it's cheaper to make a bunch at one time than to make 1 at a time (less time away from my day job, less spoilage of supplies, less set-up and tear down of place to work)

-drew

9. silence

silence New Member

bump-

I have to do some quick work on my car (new turbo etc.) this weekend so can't start now and then the car will be out of town for the next weekend or two. Will be able to do this immediately upon it's return.

Will keep people informed about the exact date.

-drew