FactoryFive Project 818...

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by babiker712, Apr 1, 2011.

1. babiker712

babiker712 Well-Known Member

Project looks sick. Can't wait to see more pics. Love that factory 5 is doing a WRX builder!

2. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

And here I was planning on doing a GTM build, guess I'm going to have to rethink that plan. At least now I have a reason to keep the WRX around. Also, with a kit price of about 10k, I'm totally in on this. As soon as it is released, there will be alot of primo WRX parts for sale. And they had better keep the stock Impreza wheel sizing, because my Work VS-XX's aren't being sold.

And yes, with this new information about an FFR Project 818, anyone that was waiting around to buy my car, it ain't happenin'.

3. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

as cool as it is, the GTM is still top for me

4. readymix

And the GTM is a beautiful kit vehicle. And if money was no object, I'd buiid one in a heartbeat. But total investment cost of the Project 818 car will be the cost of the kit + paint at this point. As I have no issue trashing an Impreza to build a mid engined roadster. And if they can manage to keep the wheel specs to 5x100 +4Xoffset using standard WRX circumference, then this is a no brainer.

5. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

though if FFR comes out with this 818 depending on how it looks i will have to move some projects around and pick one up. sorry to dirty up your thread with other project talk

6. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

agreed

7. TickTack

TickTack Well-Known Member

Yup. I've been clearing space in the garage since it was announced. It'd be fun to have a few of us building these locally.

8. readymix

SO as not to dirty up that other kit car project thread any further, this can continue here...

Basicly, Factory Five has decided to add a new kit car to their lineup. They are currently taking designs from the community. Their goal is a Subaru WRX running gear based 2 seater in a mid-engine/rear drive configuration, and have it be a single donor car based build.

Target Kit cost is ~10,000.00 US.
    Target build cost is ~<15,000 US.
    Target kit avail. date: 2012-2013

More information:
    http://www.factoryfive.com/whatsnew/update/nextcar/818intro.html

9. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Wait, aren't your vs-xx's multi-piece?

Bionicman, I hope you have a darth vader helmet to go with this vehicle ;)

10. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

I hope they come up with something different than the FT86.

11. readymix

Yes, yes they are, but they are 18's, which doesn't lend itself much to downsizing if they decide to decrease circumference. But since we are talking RWD here, don't think the thought didn't already cross my mind to have new cans made for the rears in a slightly wider size

12. readymix

Judging by what I've seen of the GTM and other kits they sell, it wouldn't even be a "build" in my case. I'd have my WRX stripped to the frame before the delivery truck even showed up. And likely have it assembled in a couple weeks. I'd take a 4 week vacation to knock the thing out and get the scrap parts out of my garage.

13. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Is there a provision for an LS motor? as Ive said before, F subarus for power....

14. readymix

Just get a FF GTM. That is for LS motors. And this doesn't require big power.

15. TickTack

I suppose assembly would be a more accurate term. I was dead-set on building a wrx donor-based locost until I started hearing about this. I can wait.

16. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

so i dont know if anyone else thinks so but i was looking at the designs people had submitted to FFR and i thought they sort of looked like the prodrive p2.

17. readymix

I hope it doesn't look like that thing. I'd rather it looked more like a Lotus Elise.

18. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

i guess i was generalizing but just the small coupe look with the side scoops, i would hope that the front would look better. and i dont know where i read this today because i have been trying to find alot about this project but they are going for a wheelbase smaller then 99"? i want to say i read like 93" somewhere? you said elise so you want a targa top sort of look?

19. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

personally a sort of exige look i think would be great, with a nice functional roof scoop. mmmmmmm

20. readymix

95" was the goal I believe.

And no, please, no more damn scoops. I don't want it to resemble a Subaru in any way. Make it sleek, make it modern, make it exotic. No roof or hood or trunk scoops.

21. idget

Lose your rear glass but gain direct air to the intercooler... The elise SC seems to do fine without the roof scoop.

I honestly don't care what this ends up looking like. It can't possibly be uglier than a Subaru. But the further under 2k lbs it is the better. What does the exige s260 weigh? 2100?

22. readymix

In the GRM post they made, it was stated that the weight goal is 1800lbs.

23. readymix

[​IMG]

That is by far my favorite so far. Smooth, modern, but not gaudy with scoops and vents and **** all over it.

And here it is all colored in and 'finished'

[​IMG]

24. readymix

Also, this one is a close second. Has a sort of Gallardo flare to it. But in a good way.

[​IMG]

25. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

i like the last one that you posted there, but im still questionable about the targa top, if its supposed to be a "track" car wouldnt you want just a coupe? for regidity? and both those has larger side scoops. i know there are many ways they can go with no scoops but everyone has their own personal opinions on looks. i like the idea of the direct air to the engine idea too though

26. predavore

Maybe they should integrate the scoop into the side of the car. Maybe dual purpose venting? IC and Brake cooling....

27. readymix

I don't mind the side scoops so much as they keep the profile of the car low and flat. Roof scoops always end up making the cars look bubbly. If they end up using side scoop designs, I could see having my intercooler piping adjusted to side mount the intercooler and then do the same on the other side with the radiator.

28. readymix

Well, assuming the body isn't a disaster (Knowing FactoryFive, I doubt this wiil be the case), and assuming they stick with the "One donor WRX" plan...including the wheels and tires...I'm 100% in on this now.

As it stands, I can likely get an auto loan for around 10k, as I don't mind financing this one (I've had one car loan in my life, and it has been long since paid off) Pick up the kit sometime late fall of next year, gut the WRX and sell the shell off, assemble it over the winter during my spare time. Then come spring, sell off whatever parts couldn't be used on the kit from the WRX. Then use that money to knock a large chunk off my car loan. I figure there's no reason why I couldn't manage a few thousand in parts sales since I'm sure any suspension based stuff wont be usable, along with most interior bits (the Sparco seats however will be used), body panels, exhaust parts, intercooler (i'll likely need a topmount) and a few other choice bits. This is pretty much a slam dunk for me. Plus it'll give me something to do over the winter.

And the Datsun can continue to be my long term project. This will be more of a weekend project in comparison. So yeah, if they can nail down that 2012 start date, expect a build journal throughout the 2012 winter season.

29. predavore

I've been a fan of the MR2 for ever now. This is the first thing that makes me want to ditch that idea and go a different direction. I would like to try do this as a rolling chassis and then decided which engine/tranny I'd like to go with. This is an exciting direction. I probably won't be able to make a decision until the final design is out.

30. readymix

Yeah, I'm right there on that final design point. If they pick an ugly body style, I'll bail on this. But honestly, their kits are beautiful, and while the GTM is an awesome kit, it isn't over done or gaudy. And I'm hoping they continue in that regard and choose a body style that matches their current lineup.

31. predavore

I hope they pick a design that reflects their quality. I don't want something that looks like everything else they make. Something NEW and DIFFERENT is what it will take to pry that money from my hands.

32. thebionicman

thebionicman Well-Known Member

This thing is going to be great for the community. I just wonder how they are going to be able to build a body and sell it for there target price.

As for rigidity, there are a ton of Factory Five Roadsters out every weekend racing. Factory Five will build a frame that will be much more rigid than the WRX is.

33. readymix

The GTM kit was 19,900 for the base kit with a full body and glass. And I think you got wheels with it to match it. They likely do all their fiberglassing in house. What I saw of the GTM kit, the body does require a little work. It isn't like you just bolt it on. There's some finish work to do. Though, they are saying the panels on this one will come gel coated, which I would assume means they are pre-cut and just require some basic sanding, light filling and primer.

34. carl

carl Well-Known Member

the 1800lb target makes me moist

35. readymix

Yeah, Steph and I were discussing what a squirrely monster it would be with my current motor and setup lodged in it. Too much fun.

36. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

might have to keep all my spares now, this would be an epic project to build.

personally I like the one thats more stratos-esq

37. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

At least they are using a double wishbone suspension. I can see how it wouldn't be that difficult to use the Subaru knuckles in that kind of format.

38. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

I should just drop this in there....

[​IMG]

39. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

you should fuji, i like it, though with a mid engine setup might have to go to rear exit exhaust

40. idget

with a subaru factory location turbo, maybe.

41. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

possibly but i was thinking more of where the muffler would go, there cant be that much exhaust pipe length with the side exit.

42. predavore

Wouldn't this be a fun car with a turbo diesel?

43. idget

muffler? you mean glass packs? it would all depend on where the turbo is mounted I would think. Up top like a stock GD/GR subaru, down in front of the motor like the new lgt, up and to the side like the rotated mount, right off the exhaust manifold like the 911 turbo, or in the rear bumper like the TTG's... I'd love to do a mid-engine RWD eg33TT kit car... Run the exhaust manifold up along the back of the motor, the intercooler(s) straight back off each intake manifold, and the turbos between the block and trans on either side.

44. TickTack

You should, I really like this profile.

45. readymix

Any pics of this without all the graphics on it?