FactoryFive Project 818...

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by babiker712, Apr 1, 2011.

1. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Exactly...."MUFFLER?!" what muffler? I plan on running a pipe right out the back of the thing from the turbo. Possible some sort of resonator in between to keep it from sounding raspy, but other than that, I want to terrify children and the elderly.

2. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

agreed i guess i was just trying to get at you need something. (after i heard how horrible my car sounds with the straight pipe on it)

p.s. did you see the new design put up, readymix i think your going to love it lol

3. readymix

No, I hate it. It's exactly the kind of body style I DON'T want to see used. Futuristic Batmobiles are neat when you're 8 years old and you collect Hotwheels. For a 30 something male with 10k in disposible car income and no serious mental defects, I'd much prefer a more simple design.

I never understood the goofy stealth bomber car concepts. I've never actually seen one come to anything other than a sketch. But, every sketch I've seen I've had to ask myself "who would ever drive that and not feel stupid the entire time?"

4. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

I DID have pictures of my concept without all the graphics, but... the harddrive on that computer DIED .... so this was the only printout I have left.
    A LOT of hours went into the drawing. The original sketch was a bit diff.. rounder/smoother then I sharpened it up. Was sketched out on paper, scanned into the computer then used PhotoShop to make adjustments and lines. It was projected to have a 103" wheelbase... but we can shrink it no problem...

If I have photoshop again.... I can readjust a few things and take off the graphics. I have making minor detailed adjustments still to keep it more modern.

5. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

LOL, I just realized it says FUJI backwards. It is a cool car man.

6. readymix

I do like it though. Calm down some of the vents, fins and splitters on the front, and they would likely take it as an example. You would also want to have a front and 3/4 view of it.

7. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

i was wondering why they even picked that one, it still has the STI stype scoop in the front of a car that is supposed to be a mid engine car? either they are not getting many design ideas in or they all suck. either way fuji i think you need to submit that design. they might want more then just a side prifile though.

8. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

ya the first design put up and this most recent are by far the worst!

9. readymix

Yeah, if you look at their GTM kit, the kit is exotic for sure, but it isn't some wild, over the top batmobile looking thing. The last one I'd be embarrassed to drive in public.

10. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

i think on the GTM they took body ideas from some great cars, front from a GT(gt40) and rear like a s7, but yes that last one idk how they got that to even pass as an idea

11. readymix

Honestly, since the GTM is their own design unlike their replica stuff, they should take cues from the GTM so that their custom line kinda "matches."

12. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

it would be nice if they took some cues from it but i dont know if they would just becuse of the size difference. like i said their custom design was just cut and paste from other vehicles. though i can think of some cars in the size area of what they want the 818 to be that i would like to see in the design, if that makes any sense

13. readymix

Oh, it does. A Lotus Elise with the headlamps from the GTM.

14. readymix

Ok, one of the designs I saw today was spot on.

View attachment 24491

This is exactly what I want to see the final production based off of.

15. readymix

The only thing I'm not sure I'm a fan of is the placement of the side mirrors. But a set of APR gt mirrors would remedy that in a heartbeat.

16. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

so you want a ferrari/lambo mix? lambo look with ferrari smooth. sounds like a good combo.

17. readymix

I am a huge fan of ferrari smooth. I like how the front to back arch lines are continuous like that. I'm a huge fan of older Ferrari body lines. Especially in the windshield to tail area. Continuing it through the nose of the car is just added candy. That design I posted, if they don't make one like that, I'd almost be down for cutting the skeleton out of MDF and laying my own fiberglas to make it look like that instead. It's perfect.

18. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

i would be checking out the write up on that project for sure! plus then you would have someting even more unique then the 818 project

19. readymix

I think at that point, I'd be better off making my own frame and parts. At which point, this project would get stupid expensive and time consuming. Take my 'i'll make my own body' comment with a grain of salt

20. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

^ Yeah, making your own body for that chassis alone would require making molds, or a free-hand glass body that would be heavy as hell.

All you can do is wait and see. I would expect the guys at FactoryFive to have good taste. They might evaluate each drawing for cues to make their own. I can't imagine they would use some wild design that would only appeal to ricers when their target market is people who do not fit that demographic.

21. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

we can all dream that time and money is no object and we can do whatever we want with cars...ya not really :(

22. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Time is one thing, money is the other. They are not mutually exclusive, sort of, lol. My project is a prime example......

23. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

24. readymix

That car is front engine RWD. And it looks very similar to the FT86 concepts floating around. Nothing like the FF car.

**EDIT**
    Ok, I read the Press Release. That's exactly what it is. This has been in collaboration for a few years now, it was originally going to be the Toyota FT-86, but they likely realized that if they want the spikey haired youth segment on board, they'll have to brand it as a Scion vehicle.

25. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Gonna be a hard sell to anyone at the rumored 25k for a 2.0L NA toyota/scion/subaru eclipse/v6mustang/everyotherhairdressercar mashup.

Either way I'm disappointed that there aren't any big FF updates.

26. readymix

Likely wont see any big updates till after June 1st when the design contest ends. The build-up to the FF car is going to be shortlived and lacking much in the way of updates. They already have the chassis/frame design done. And it is likely designed around re-using lots of WRX running gear. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a near full-frame working model with no body on it at their shop. Or at least in some cad program. The only real updating I can see happening is a step by step pictorial of the body mock up and translation to material. Once that is done, it's mostly logistical crap behind the scenes. I just wish they'd pick a damn body style and get it over with so I can figure out if I am going to keep my WRX or sell it.

27. readymix

BTW, if you find intense humor in the ignorance and general foolishness of other people, you should definitely head over to the FactoryFive Forums and hang out in the Project 818 forum. As someone that has been on, moderated, and owned his own forums, over the years I've gotten pretty good at figuring out the types of people that hang around them. It didn't take me long at the FFR forums. Here's a break down....

The If it Ain't a V8, it's slow and sucks guy: Since all of FF's cars involve the use of an LS-X or Ford V8 of some sort, and replicas are based on american V8 sports cars, there are a ton of guys like this on there. They wander into the Project 818 forum, see that it is built around a japanese 4 banger, and automatically assume it is going to suck. You cannot convince these people that an 1800lb car with a turbocharged subaru powerplant is going to be kill-your-self fast.

The I paid someone to do every step of my Factory Five kit for me guy: Seriously, I understand if you have no mechanical skill what so ever. But in that case, why are you buying a kit car that is hand built and not based on anything that a mechanic can get parts for, and likely would have to spend a couple days sorting before he can take a crack at it. The best ones are the guys that say the GTM is a supercar that the everyday guy can afford. Then they pay some asshole 20,000 dollars to have it assembled, painted, etc...that's on TOP of the price of the kit and the donor Corvette.

The I have a <insert american muscle car> which is the defacto sports car on the road, how will the 818 stand up guy: Very similar to the first guy I mentioned, but he's a fanboy cock-rider for his particular make and model. And usually his posts are absent minded trolling. I'd say it was pure trolling, but these guys are honestly as stupid and biased as they sound, so I honestly believe they have no idea how inflammatory their statements are.

The Checking in from NASIOC guy: I've been part of the Subaru community for around 8 years now. Spend a few minutes browsing either Proven Power Bragging or the Tech threads on Nasioc, and you'll be able to spot these retards from a thousand miles away. They get over to the FF forums, publicly pledge allegiance to their favorite Subaru aftermarket parts company, then every other post they make they post their entire mod list, which usually starts with "Cobb Accessport" and ends with a horsepower number that is likely a bit on the high side.

The NASIOC expert guy: Again, experience is the key to identifying this one. Hang out on Nasioc, you'll know. They know EVERYTHING. And they wont shut the hell up about it.

The OMG, WHY A SUBARU, WHY NOT <insert engine/drivetrain>? guy: This one is calming down a bit now, as it's been made pretty clear by Factory Five that the design has already been focused around a Subaru powerplant. The usual person in this category is likely an Evo/Eclipse or Honda owner. And even though FF explained why the Subaru was the best choice (based on single donor kit) these guys ignore that, and pick some mundane example as to why their engine/tranny is better (usually related to RPMs, HP output, price of motors) and then roll with it. These people usually make about 3 posts and never return, realizing that they aren't going to get their way no matter how hard they stomp their feet.

The I have a GED in Automotive Design guy: Whether they actually do professionally design cars or not, they definitely perk their little feathers up and try to walk the walk. They will regurgitate jargo they've heard elsewhere from professional designers, or they will bitch about some mundane aesthetic detail on someone's pencil sketch. They like to talk about modelling in clay and how it is better than photoshop or 3D software because you can't cheat and hide things with clay or some crap. Everything you do is scrutinized as if your pencil sketch was going into some mega computer that will use it to churn out real cars. When in fact, sketches are used as conceptual visualizing of ideas, and not as a technical ****ing blueprint.

28. Lowrider

Lowrider Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You indeed made a thorough analysis.

29. readymix

So, it's been pretty dead over at Factory FIve with regards to updates on the 818. There hasn't been a design winner of the week in a few weeks now. Hopefully things start to pick up.

30. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

if i can print out that sheet, ill draw mine

31. readymix

Just go download the PDF files and print them. They are available at both Factory Five and Grassroots Motorsports sites.

32. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

33. Jackstand

Jackstand Well-Known Member

Hey the first place one looks sick!

34. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

I love the white version of the 3rd place one! If they make that...goodbye WRX!

35. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

3rd place looked like the winner to me. I also like the editor's choice from the side, wished there was more angles to view.

36. readymix

Xabier's design has been a clear winner since the start.

37. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Necrobump:

38. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Mmmm yes yes only a matter of time

39. SurlyOldManMN

SurlyOldManMN Omdat fok jou Staff Member

Hmmmm...

40. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

They couldn't make this thing soon enough...the timing would have been perfect for me seeing as my WRX was recently declared totaled...