Hey MNSubaru / Duluth People... Know this car?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by turkeylord, Apr 25, 2011.

1. turkeylord

turkeylord Well-Known Member

2. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

Haha, my co-workers old car.

He traded it in on a 2011 outback.

What would you like to know?

3. turkeylord

Awesome, glad someone knows it :)

It looks pretty stock - but there are a couple things that concern me... It's got STI stickers, it's debadged, has painted calipers & a burned up clutch. Obviously it wasn't babied, but how hard was it driven? Did he keep up on maintenance?

Do you know if he did all the service at that Hermantown dealership? Maybe they could send me service records...

Did he do the last brake job himself? If so, let him know he put the left rear brake pad in backwards... :squint:

4. Ctracey218

Here is the extent of what I know...

Previous owner bought the car at about 48k I think he said.
    Sold it at whatever it is at now.
    He is a 30 something year old dude, married, and has two kids.
    Second kid just showed up about a month ago and that is why he sold it (need a little more room)
    He didn't mod the car at all and I think he took pretty good care of it.
    He did think that the exhaust was aftermarket. I cannot confirm nor deny that, just what he thought.
    I know he recently replaced a headlight but cannot speak on the other maintenance.
    I can ask at work and see what he has to say.

Hope that helps some what :)

5. turkeylord

Definitely helps... Thanks for checking into this :)

6. turkeylord

Heard the news yesterday that the dealership is putting a new clutch in. Maybe I'll go test drive it again once they've got it back together :)

Did you ask him anything about it at work?

Thanks,
    -Jordan

7. turkeylord

Clutch replaced, drives great now. Bought it last night!

Thanks for your help! I'd be interested if there is any other history I should know. :)

8. Ctracey218

Hold on, I have some more from the old owner.

"The STI Stickers, de-badging and painted calipers were all done by the previous owner. I bought it in June 2007 with about 43k from Borton Volvo in Minneapolis. I was looking for an Outback at the time and stumbled across the car, I couldn't resist it. The car was in nice shape when I got it, but you could tell it had been tinkered with a bit. I brought the car directly to the Subaru dealer in Duluth because the check engine light came on while driving from Duluth to Minneapolis. It turned out the CEL was triggered because the air filter box not been fastened properly. When I had it at the dealer they mentioned it was missing heat shields because of the modded exhaust. I had them order and install the heat shields because I sometimes drive in tall grass when I'm up north.

As much as I loved the performance of the car, I've always had some desire to get the Outback I was initially shopping for. The clutch had been acting up for a couple of months, it was one of the reasons I traded it in. I suspect that was why the dealer sent it to auction. I did use the car to take my 4 wheeler up to the cabin in the spring and fall, that could have been a bit tough on the clutch, but that was pretty infrequent. Around the same time the clutch started acting up I started smelling that burning plastic smell I mentioned to you at work. It could be related, but I am not certain. At 75,000 miles I was a bit worried it could be an issue with the turbo. I read a lot about issues with the banjo bolt on the '05s but didn't want to spend the money to swap out a turbo because of a hunch. I was going to replace the clutch this spring, and was hoping the plastic smell would go away at the same time.
    So I had the cracked headlight housing (which looks from the pics to be fixed), the clutch issue, and the suspension getting worn from mellon sized Duluth potholes. Plus I was worried the turbo with 75k. I traded it in for that Outback instead.

As for the maintenance, the oil was changed at about 4k intervals, typically at Jiffy Lube or Wal*Mart. The only other thing it was brought to the dealer for was to have the trailer hitch installed, so they would not have much for records. I had a few worn belts changed last January when getting the oil changed. I didn't do any of the other 60k recommended maintenance, it probably needs some fluids changed.
    As far as the rear brake pads .. does left rear mean the rear passenger or rear driver side? One of the rear wheels started grinding on the way back from the BWCA last fall. I swapped out the one side and wanted to do the other, but was running out of daylight. I never did get around to changing the pads on the other wheel. The old pads I pulled out were in there all wonky. I'm gonna go ahead and put the blame on the backwards brake pads on the dude that painted the calipers blue ;)

Soooo yeah .... TMI I know but I got to start writing about me old baby and couldn't stop. "

9. turkeylord

Perfect, exactly the kind of info I was looking for! Funny to know that one of the dealers un-installed the hitch - but I suppose that's a car dealership for ya. Good to know about the 60k maintainance too, I'll do that soon.

Suspension all feels tight to me, but I'll keep an eye on it. I'll probably check the banjo bolt finter as well.

Brake pad was the driver's rear. It hadn't been on that long judging by the wear, I bet it happened after you traded it in. The dealership got it flipped around and it's wearing an even pattern on the rotor now. No biggy.

I'll do a UOA at my first oil change, see if there's anything to worry about there.

My plans for the wagon:
    Remove the stickers (DONE)
    2nd set of stock wheels for winter (BOUGHT)
    Red GrafxWerks tail light overlays (BOUGHT)
    Strip and re-paint calipers black
    Fix tweaked fender
    Refurb original wheels (powdercoat?)
    Whiteline RSB / AVO Brackets
    Roof rack?
    Clear the headlights?

Thanks Ctracey218 & %previousownerguy%!