Remote Starter Questions for 2013 WRX

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by clajiness, Oct 20, 2014.

1. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

Alright, so I have a bunch of questions that the installer could answer, but I'd rather hear from members with experience first.

I've had two Viper starters in previous cars (automatic transmissions), but given that it'll be installed in a wrx, some installers won't touch it. Do you guys have preferred Viper installers? So far I've narrowed it down to Auto Xtreme's in Plymouth, or Best Buy. Thoughts? Experiences?

I know there's a procedure you have to follow to "arm" the starter. Get out of car while it's running, lock doors, turn off car with starter, etc... What stops someone from breaking a window while it's running, putting it in gear, and taking off? Is there a kill function associated with the clutch pedal? Neutral sensor of some kind?

Does anyone use SmartStart? Seems kinda expensive to have to pay a monthly fee...

Do the factory lock/unlock alerts work after installation, or does the new system use the horn? Easily turned off either way?

Has anyone had any kind of electrical issues after installation? I've never had any, nor have I known anyone who has, but the dealer always mentions that it's dangerous. I'm sure they're trying to sell the factory starter, but they have a point since theirs doesn't have to splice into the harness. Not really a huge concern for me...

Thanks all. I'm sure I'll think of other questions, but I'm looking forward to your feedback.

2. jdhunter6

jdhunter6 Member

I would not install an aftermarket alarm/remote start system I have seen many cars loose pcm due to faulty remote start systems just had to replace an entire wire harness on an s2000 that burnt up due to the remorse start viper system.

3. FlatBlackIan

FlatBlackIan Active Member

Why not just get the factory Subaru remote start. They are plug and play with the factory harness. You can install yourself, and then have Subaru initialize it. Way better then some aftermarket crap spliced into the harness.

4. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

Tony with hand command.

I have the compustar drone. Best investment.

5. kongzilla

Alright, so I have a bunch of questions that the installer could answer, but I'd rather hear from members with experience first.

I've had two Viper starters in previous cars (automatic transmissions), but given that it'll be installed in a wrx, some installers won't touch it. Do you guys have preferred Viper installers? So far I've narrowed it down to Auto Xtreme's in Plymouth, or Best Buy. Thoughts? Experiences?

Stay away from vipers. Go with Tony from hand command.

I know there's a procedure you have to follow to "arm" the starter. Get out of car while it's running, lock doors, turn off car with starter, etc... What stops someone from breaking a window while it's running, putting it in gear, and taking off? Is there a kill function associated with the clutch pedal? Neutral sensor of some kind?

Car stays running with e brake up and gear in neutral. Get out, shut door, it'll run for a few sec then turn off.

If someone opens the door, the car dies. It's a safety mode.

Does anyone use SmartStart? Seems kinda expensive to have to pay a monthly fee...

Dont know what this is.

Do the factory lock/unlock alerts work after installation, or does the new system use the horn? Easily turned off either way?

It Can Be Programmed either way.

Has anyone had any kind of electrical issues after installation? I've never had any, nor have I known anyone who has, but the dealer always mentions that it's dangerous. I'm sure they're trying to sell the factory starter, but they have a point since theirs doesn't have to splice into the harness. Not really a huge concern for me...

4 yrs and no problem

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  6. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Because subaru does not offer any remote start for manual transmissions.

And for those looking into aftermarket systems, I've sold tens of thousands of dollars of wiring harnesses, gauge clusters and body control units as a result. Bottom line, if your car is newer than 2008, aftermarket remote starts WILL SCREW THEM UP.

clajiness and EricS like this.
  7. clajiness

All I needed to hear. I'll just toughen up and save the cash. I wish they'd make it part of their cold-weather package though. It's a nice thing to have around here.

Thanks everyone for your insight!

8. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

So does anyone know if there is a good brand that can be used with a smart phone?

9. clajiness

I've only seen Viper's SmartStart. That said, after reading the previous comments, I think I'm better off without.

10. Adibee

Adibee Well-Known Member

Compustar makes one too, its called Drone.

11. Stuck686

Stuck686 Member

i looked into this and it seemed expensive and i had to give up a key! Let me know how it goes

12. kongzilla

well worth the money.

13. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

1)You have the immobilizer,
    2)Thieves can't drive a stick shift
    3)Its not a Honda Accord
    Save your $. Its 2014, not 1990.

14. Lucasoil4u

Lucasoil4u Member

Remote Starts are all about the install. I've done thousands of cars with zero iissue. People who cut corners are the ones who ruin cars. Look up tc auto spot. Eric/I will take the best car of you and your car!

15. EricS

EricS Nooberator

That I can believe! Would you
    mind sharing a little info on the install techniques you use to ensure reliability? There are lots of important wires that get spliced into as part of a custom RS install, and knowing a little bit about how you make these connections might help put people's minds at ease. i know I've considered getting one many times, but am leery about difficult-to-diagnose electrical/ECU issues popping up X years down the road... Cheers!

clajiness likes this.
  16. Lucasoil4u

Lucasoil4u Member

Military grade splice is used . We run with factory harness's. Everything minus the remotes have lifetime warrantys. Compustar pro dealer, only unit I would recommend for manual transmission cars . There is a sensor that detects movement if your able to get around the other safe holds . Very reliable units that have 0 issues !

kongzilla likes this.
  17. Se7enrex

Se7enrex Well-Known Member

After reading this thread I had Tony at Hand Command come out yesterday to do my truck, incredible job he does, OEM look and installation, good guy, very knowledgeable and is a car enthusiast with a modded Lexus he tracks, turbo honda, etc.. Very energetic, nice, and competent individual that will come to your house or work. Great pricing and the quality of work so far exceeds anything any Best Buy or local shop I have gone to does. He showed me all the wiring, where he routed it, and all his connections... needless to say I was impressed and got it done at my house, on a Sunday, 3 days after my initial text to him. Excellent individual.

Ryan FailRad and phi11 like this.
  18. EricS

EricS Nooberator

Thanks for the feedback Se7enrex!

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  19. babiker712

babiker712 Well-Known Member

I'm going to hit up TC Auto Spot on Thurs for a Compustar 2WGS9, will leave feedback. They sell the same stuff as Remotely Started and are actually even cheaper. I was quoted 309 for price plus install (including tax) with rear defrost auto-on option after the facebook discount on 2002 Outback. Nice part of a retail front is that god forbid something goes wrong, you can use the legal system to sort it out, but with all the positive reviews I'm sure that won't be the case...

Lucasoil4u likes this.
  20. Pong K

Pong K Active Member

I actually went through remotely started really nice guy. He did it less then 30 min and he also setup the turbo timer for me.

21. babiker712

He is a nice guy, but he's raised his prices since last year (and is unwilling to match last year's prices for previous customers) and he is not a retail establishment so your ability to sue him if you had to is significantly hindered. Also, Burnsville is further away. I'm willing to get my stuff from the closer, cheaper, well-reviewed retail option if and when the products are identical.

I would still not have any qualms about telling someone they can go to Remotely Started if they wanted to

22. Lucasoil4u

Lucasoil4u Member

What kind of car did you have it installed on? 30 minutes is pretty fast for a remote start on any car.

23. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Did you get the starter installed?

24. babiker712

I did. Install took a little over an hour. I recommend Sandy's around the corner for burgers/beer while you wait but he does have a TV and game system if you want to wait there. Everything seems to work fine, however the reason I was waiting to post was because I had him integrate the Remote Start with the Rear Defrost. He said prior to install he was having trouble finding the relay schematic. He hooked it up, but it was too warm to verify that it was working as intended and said bring it back if it doesn't auto-on under 32. Since I have a garage and really just use the remote start at work, I haven't had it out long enough to confirm that it is working.

I have no qualms about the installer/shop/or job that was done though. I'll let you know if I have to take it back for a defrost adjustment, but this is one of the major perks in my mind about having a remote start

25. Lucasoil4u

Lucasoil4u Member

Just remember remote starters make great christmas gifts!

26. Lucasoil4u

Lucasoil4u Member

IF YOU CALL ERIC AND TELL HIM YOU ARE ON MNSUBARU HE WILL GIVE YOU $25 DOLLARS OFF!

27. babiker712

Since I previously posted, thought I'd give an update: A couple weeks back my remote start briefly would start but not stay running. Apparently there a multiple sensor methods for Compustar remote starts. The voltage method (how mine was installed on a H6 Subaru Outback) did not take, so I had to take it in and have Eric adjust it to another method. Minor inconvenience, I was seen right away and fixed quickly (under 10 minutes). While I found it slightly annoying, know Eric stands behind his work and offers good customer service. I have not had any issues since.

28. 2002WrX

2002WrX Well-Known Member

What's so bad about the viper? I just had the 4706v installed on my 04 Sti. Seems to work great

29. Lucasoil4u

Lucasoil4u Member

The vipers are good units. When i used to install them we had a lot of issues with the brains going bad. We would have to remove and send in to get a new one. In the 7 years ive been doing Compustar I have had 1 brain go bad. The units are high quality and they have ways to safely install in a manual transmission.

30. clajiness

31. subiexe

subiexe Member

I think your 13 WRX has a built in neutral safety switch. I got my Viper 5706V installed by Best Buy and couldn't be happier. It has good range and its as simple as leaving your car in neutral and starting the car. Best Buy has good customer service too. I jumped my battery and somehow blew the receiver in the car and they replaced it for free, no questions. Expect to pay around $800 because it will require two bypass units. You don't have to install the horn included, but I liked the sound of the chirp rather than blasting the Hellas everytime I lock/unlock.

32. kongzilla

$800 is spendy....

For $800, you could of gone Drone with compustar.

tony with hand command could do it with a lot less. He does compustar. He'll come out to you.

33. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

Four years later...this thread is being revived. Recommendations and cost estimate for 03 WRX (4eat) and/or 12 Silverado 1500. Thanks