01 outback fuel problems

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Freddy, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Freddy

Freddy Member

ok my sisters 01 outback stopped running Tuesday. it would start and then die. First thing I did was check fuel pressure, it had none. I replace the stock pump with a walbo 255 cause I had one on the shelf. still no pressure. it will pump a lot of value but you can hold your thumb over the supply hose and it doesn't push out at all. I have spark, compression, injectors are firing just no pressure.
    is there anything else between the pump and the fuel filter in the engine bay where it has a relief? thought Id ask before I tear to far into it. thanks

2. Fatboy Walrus

Fatboy Walrus Well-Known Member

Fuel pressure regulator? That little guy near the passenger side head.

phi11 likes this.
  3. Freddy

Freddy Member

I got no pressure before the FPR that's the problem. I though the same thing. im running out of good ideas. I think im going to have to pull the line back out from the sending unit and see if I got pressure there, maybe a crack in the ending unit housing and its flowing back into the tank?

EricS likes this.
  4. babiker712

babiker712 Well-Known Member

5. babiker712

You can disregard my previous surmise that ruled out the O-ring. It could still be the O-ring, since the o-ring would not be affected by swapping pumps according to this thread. You should replace it with a Viton O-ring. It's possible you also cracked the cap on the housing. These seem to be the two most common causes of failure on that pump/housing from what I've read. Many who have attempted to preventative replace that O-ring have cracked the cap in the process so it'd be worth visiting a U-pull it yard and having a spare on hand just in case when you go to do this.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/walbro-fuel-pump-install-127809p4.html

6. horizon_chaser

horizon_chaser Well-Known Member

Check to see if you have pressure between the filter and pump. Fuel pump module has a bad o-ring seal on the pressure cap, check for crack o-ring and cap.

7. Freddy

Freddy Member

thanks man. im going to guess that is the problem is that o ring on the housing or something right there like said. the stock pump probably is ok just the o ring to hold the pressure failed. atleast it gives me a place to start.

8. EricS

EricS Nooberator

the plastic housing crack can be pretty hard to see sometimes from the folks I talked to a while back, the crack can kind of seal itself back together when its not under pressure, so if it isn't the o-ring then check the housing carefully with a good light and fingernail or something - it can be like finding the end of a roll of tape :) good luck!

babiker712 likes this.
  9. babiker712

Solid analogy

10. Lucasoil4u

Lucasoil4u Member

If you have a fuel pressure gauge hooked up to the car pinch off the return hose and see if it changes. If it doesnt . Look at the hose on top of the fuel pump inside the fuel tank.