'02 Outback overheats when A/C is on

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Ryan, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

Car is my coworkers:
    195,xxx miles
    2002 Outback Sedan
    Stock

He's having overheating issues when the A/C is on. Ben and Brian have worked on this car and I cannot remember the situation of the headgaskets. It doesn't overheat unless the A/C is on. Can a broken A/C unit cause that?

Thanks,

Ryan

2. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Check for a plugged (airflow) radiator and condensor.

3. 2.5SubieRS

2.5SubieRS Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^this

4. thunderdan1313

thunderdan1313 New Member

+1000

5. Ryan

Best way to check for that to have a coolant flush? Sorry for the newb question but I've never dealt with this before.

6. thunderdan1313

thunderdan1313 New Member

u can first try by felling the hoses. hose on the bottom should be cooler than the hose on top rada/condensor. also check the hoses for the heater core.
    also make sure that there is nothing that is infront of the rade/condensor. like some plasic/carboard that got picked up while driving on the roads. make sure the fins ont hem are also not bent

7. 2.5SubieRS

2.5SubieRS Well-Known Member

If you have noticed that its been "snowing" in your area check the front of your condenser. All those cottonwood seeds build up on your condenser and don't allow air through I've been dealing with it daily as I work in the HVAC field

8. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

no, clogged for airflow. not internally. Just get down in front of the car with a flashlight and make sure the condensor/radiator isn't caked with crap.

9. AWDimprezaL

Get down with your garden hose and start spraying the condenser see how much **** comes out of it.

10. Ryan

Thanks! I'll send my coworker to town with it. He's been watching this thread.

11. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Also make sure the cooling fans turn on. IIRC even when the motor is cold, as soon as the ac gets turned on, the cooling fans kick in.

Russ

12. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Russ' answer makes the most sense. It there was something (crap, cottonwood seeds, or small children) blocking the airflow through the radiator the engine would overheat all the time, not just when the A/C is on. The fans do kick on as soon as the A/C is turned on even when the engine is cold. When the A/C is being used, there is a higher heat load being dissipated in front of the engine radiator which will cause it to cool less efficiently. The other clue would be if the engine does NOT overheat when the A/C is on AND the car is travelling at highway speed. The air flow moving through the radiator should be enough to keep it cool regardless if the fans are running of not. I suspect the engine overheats because it is being driven at low speed in-town and the fans are needed to keep the radiator cool.

13. AWDimprezaL

Ac works an engine harder, it could be the straw that broke the camel's back, Ive seen it before.