02 WRX wagon: flooded

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by 02WRXwagon, Jul 3, 2010.

1. 02WRXwagon

02WRXwagon Well-Known Member

While I was in South Africa for the World Cup, my 02 WRX wagon was flooded last weekend in the Twin Cities storm. :emo:

Water went up just above the bumper. Insurance adjustor thinks it'll be a total loss, since the electrical and such for airbags in mounted on floor (correct?). That and the fact that the carpet backing probably will have begun molding almost immediately.

The car was towed yesterday, and I expect to hear from them next Tuesday (July 7).

Thanks to those who've helped me in the past from R&R the brakes, and my clutch replacement.

I've got an extra set of summer wheels, that I will probably be putting up for sale later and will post that under a separate topic.

Needless to say, I'm disappointed, and will need to find a new ride. Luckily, I've got another car to drive in the mean time, so my search will not be unnecessarily quick.

2. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

i think it would be worth checking out to see how bad it is if it only came up to the bumper. yes alot of electronics that are critical are down by your feet but its still worth a shot to let them dry out and start it. a wrx wagon interior should only be about 250-500 bones imo

3. PhilSine

PhilSine Well-Known Member

Buy it back from the ins co and keep driving it or part it out.

4. Shibbs

Shibbs The Daywalker

The ECU is under the passenger footwell, so...... might not be a good omen.

5. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Bummer. Sorry to hear you're bad luck! Must've been a real buzzkill to come back to after what I can imagine was a pretty wild vacation.

I'd be worried about the stagnant water festering and seeping into the sound deadening. Carpet is cheap and easy to replace. ECU might still be good if it wasn't started wet. Maybe try pulling off the passenger side door sill and pulling back the carpet. Check for rust, mold, etc...

6. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

I would WANT to total it if water came up that high. Bad news.

7. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Yeah, water can be a b**** I'd seriously consider letting them total it and then maybe doing a buyback depending on how cheap it was.

8. kvang

kvang Well-Known Member

highly agreed!!

9. piddster

piddster Lone Wolf

Yeah, you would need to replace the mat on the firewall, which is no small task.

10. 02WRXwagon

Just got word from insurance compan, and they valued the car at $7625 (less $500. deductible). So I'm now in the market for replacement.
    I have a pair of 19" summer wheels (very little tread on tyres). I will want to sell the wheels if I don't find another Impreza.
    I'm not wedded to the WRX model, and am interested to know what kind of mileage those who have the 2.5L: or other non-turbo engined.

11. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Highlight his text above to read his post (for everyone with a white theme)

12. pattertj

pattertj Member

My 05 2.5 RS has got 22.8MPG since Nov. of 09. Since my oil change last time though, it has been more like 24MPG. I do mostly city miles with it. So others might be a bit higher...

13. 02WRXwagon

so the 2.5 RS is not too far off MPG from my 2.0 WRX, thanks for the info ... I'm kind of intrigued by the '03 Baja that is for sale here and on CL ... as for those who are asking about buyback, I can check with Ins. Co. but not sure what it would do for me, as I need the $$ for replacement vehicle, I must be missing something.

14. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Depending on the price, you can buy back the car and potentially sell the parts for more money than what you paid for the car.
    Wheels
    Seats
    Engine Parts

anything that isn't damaged.

15. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

I bought my car back from insurance and sold it on here... How it works is they cut you a check for the full value of the car (however they determine it), then subtract the "salvage price" which is what they would get for selling it to a salvage yard (probably less than 2k, mine was around 1100), and you keep the car.

On my last trip to the cabin in my Forester XT (2.5 turbo all stock), I got 26.9 MPG on the freeway, usually average around 22-24 with mostly city driving.

16. atacamaR

atacamaR Well-Known Member

then... you post in the classifieds and people coming running to hand you money, or something like that ;)

OP, depends how quickly you need the money, someone might take a chance on flooded vehicle or need a clean body for something... the other option is to part it out but that can be time consuming, takes up space, etc....

17. 02WRXwagon

thanks, that's good information on the buy back option ... I would only consider it if I could be sure that the turn around was immediate, for I have no desire to transport or store the vehicle ... by the way, the insurance adjustor indicated that the car did start at the inventory center.

I'm to get it all sorted out on Monday with clean title in hand.

18. 02WRXwagon

Been considering what to replace the '02 WRX wagon ... I was quite happy with the vehicle, and enjoyed the AWD with winter snow tires, and the extra space of the wagon configuration.

I've come across a vehicle that may be of consideration: Suzuki SXR on Wikipedia ... I know, I know ... I have not yet driven one, and may find it unacceptable, but it is intriging replacement. The iAWD system seems to be pretty good, but I have yet to find any long term reliability findings. When I was looking at my '02 WRX wagon I did drive a Matrix AWD, and found it to be quite 'tinny', and not nearly as stable feeling as the Impreza.

Other cars that I've yet to test drive include: Mazda3 hatchback or the Subaru Baja.

I am interested in constructive comments regarding other vehicles worth considering. I have not completely given up on another Impreza Wagon, and would consider the 2.5L in addition to WRX ... although most of what I've seen are ATX while I prefer the MTX.

I'm looking at about $12K for replacement, and would like something with low mileage.

I'll be driving another of my cars in the mean time, so I'm not in a huge hurry (luckily).

19. Lowrider

Lowrider Well-Known Member

Did you happen to bring the infamous VUVUZELA from SA?

20. 02WRXwagon

21. atacamaR

atacamaR Well-Known Member

good luck on your replacement

22. predavore

predavore Well-Known Member

WMC will be all over that I'm sure...

23. 02WRXwagon

I am now the new owner of a Black '07 Impreza 2.5i Wagon, so my old user name may disappear and be replaced with a new persona.

I look forward to continued commeraderie and technical support from the enthusiast community.

The 02 WRX wagon is awaiting auction: Insurance Auto Auctions: St. Paul