03 WRX Tranny Fluid Leak

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by silver03, Jun 29, 2020.

1. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

I had the car up in the air yesterday to install Goodridge SS brake lines on all four corners and noticed a few drops of ATF dripping. Car is a 4eat with basic stage 2 mods. Appeared to be coming from around the top of the pan, but I will check line connections nonetheless. What is recommended to reseal the pan with and do I even bother replacing the spin-off tranny filter? The car has 138k on it. Any other recommendations on what to do while doing this? Thanks -Rick

2. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

OEM is FIPG (RTV or similar) to seal the pan. I go back and forth on the best option. Gray RTVs are best on aluminum, black on steel. But in this case, you've got a steel pan on the aluminum housing...so either one there. "The Right Stuff" is a good quick-dry formula (we've started using it over the factory Kubota RTV on oil pans at work). The factory uses a ThreeBond.

OEM trans filter isn't cheap, but if it hasn't been done, this would be a good time since you're draining the fluid anyway.

Once they added the spin-on filter, the internal filter was replaced with more of a screen. Spray it out with some brake clean and reuse.

silver03 and tangledupinblu like this.