04 Forester, 5mt - shifter assembly, help needed.

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Krazylegz1485, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Greetings! I'm trying to replace some pieces of the shifter assembly on the wife's Forester. The exploded diagram from Subaru isn't much help other than identifying part numbers.

Anybody messed with one of these before?

TL,DR - where the f**k does the "lock wire" go...?

Long story short, the ball end of the shifter popped out of its socket and then wouldn't stay back in. It left the wife stranded and I ended up having to drive it home with a flashlight aimed down in the console to make sure I maintained enough downward pressure while shifting so it wouldn't pop out again.

Fast forward to now and I've got all the new parts from Subaru, so attempting to reassemble. The problem I'm having is finding out where the "lock wire" goes. It's part # 0999S in the diagram, kinda right in the center. I have no idea where it goes or what it does. What I do know is that the old one came out pretty mangled so I'm at least sure there was one in there to begin with.

I attached a screenshot of a diagram I found online.

Attached Files:

Butthau5 likes this.
  2. Butthau5

Butthau5 Well-Known Member

Pics of the lock wire. If it's what I think it is I pulled mine out and tossed it when I did shifter bushings.

3. Butthau5

Upon reviewing the diagram I belive it is what I'm thinking. It just holds the rubber part to the linkage I'm pretty sure. I think it goes over the rubber and is like twisted on to be tight. Mine broke when I pulled it apart to do bushings and I didn't put it back, no problems yet.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  4. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I think you're right. I feel like it was up inside the center console when I started ripping into it in the Costco parking lot that night.

I ended up getting it back together today, sans wire, and it seems to be working just fine.

Also, for whatever reason I read your username in the voice of Dee Snyder now "this is the house of butt!"

Butthau5 likes this.
  5. Butthau5

If I can't use butthouse for whatever reason I use the name casadeculo which translates to house of ass lol

Krazylegz1485 and tangledupinblu like this.