04 Forester - AC compressor gone bad?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Krazylegz1485, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Picked the wife up an 04 Forester earlier this summer. When we test drove it the air was cold when we first started but got warm already by the time we were done test driving. Got a smoking deal on the car so didn't consider it that big of a deal. Added a little refrigerant at some point and it got colder, but didn't really solve the getting warmer over time issue.

Recently it's developed a little belt squeal right at start up, and then would go away after a second or two. Figured maybe the belt(s) were loose so gave them a wiggle and they seemed adequately tight, but visually looked like they could be replaced. Plus $20 to have some peace of mind through winter is alright with me.

During the replacement I noticed the AC belt tensioner was broken. The pulley was there but the actual bolt that you turn to apply the tension was MIA. Nice. So I went to the warehouse and grabbed an extra I had. Made one good one out of the two and put it back together. Fired it up and all seemed fine.

The next morning I started it for her to warm up for a few minutes before we left. Thought I heard a squeal again but it sounded a little different, and it was already running. It lasted several seconds and sounded painful... Haha.

Popped the hood quick and saw the compressor was not spinning but the belt was, slowly. I hit the defrost off quick and the clutch kicked off and started free spinning.

Safe to assume the compressor finally took a dump? Seems like the clutch itself is functioning properly.

2. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Yep, sounds like it seized up. Happened on our '04 VDC. Used compressor fixed it.

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  3. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Nothing is ever easy.

silver03 and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  4. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Especially not pimpin'.

MrBlue and tangledupinblu like this.