04 STI vs 08+ engine reliability

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Rico-03 WRX, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Rico-03 WRX

Rico-03 WRX Member

So I have a 2004 STI that I am considering trading/upgrading for a 2011 Sti but I recently heard horror stories about the 2008+ Sti's having reliability issues due to the fact that the internals are not nitrate coated, such as the pistons, rings and valves. I have tried doing research online but have been unable to find anything on whether this is true or not. I was told that the reason Subaru switched from coated internals to non coated was because of a "spill" of the coating and they wanted to prove to customers that they were still "Eco friendly". Obviously I'll be spending more to get the 2011 but don't want to buy something that is gonna blow up on me with a small amount of tuning. If anybody has any more info on this subject and could shed some light on it for me that would be great.

2. Kosh

Kosh Well-Known Member

I have an 08, and I think the biggest issue is the factory tune. NF or Cobb can fix that problem. Like most things on the net the perceived issue with it is much greater than the actual.

I also have had an 05 and the 08 is much nicer noise and comfort wise.

3. Shancaldazar

Shancaldazar Well-Known Member

Call up crawford performance and ask them about the reliability of the 08+ STi's and their tune worthiness. Mr. Crawford has said several times that the 08+ STi engines are good for about 500WHP on stock internals-you just have to tune them properly to prevent detonation. I think he knows a thing or two about these motors :)

4. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Lol

5. GiMp

GiMp Well-Known Member

Agree

6. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

Buy the 11, and sell me the 04.

spudd likes this.
  7. Rico-03 WRX

Rico-03 WRX Member

Nuke how about some input?

8. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

I'll wait to read more funnies first

BroCo, ofspunk7 and Cotts612 like this.
  9. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

I recall hearing about a nuke coating spill, lol

10. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I think I read what you are referencing and Crawford actually said that the stock block doesn't need to be sleeved until 500+ whp. The other stock internals (especially pistons) would certainly not last long at 500 whp...

11. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

No, I think what Nuke was "lol" about was calling Quirt Crawford an expert on reliable EJ-engines and the actual output power they make. 500+ whp on 720cc injectors? I lol'd. Also, Crawford Bobble Performance.

phi11 likes this.
  12. Shancaldazar

Shancaldazar Well-Known Member

Found the article. We are both kind of wrong :p

He says change internals when you start reaching over 500 HP

What's this bobble thing with quirt? Haven't heard this

13. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/491760-post552.html

14. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

The bobble thing was basically Quirt tossing aftermarket pistons in his blocks without checking piston to cylinderwall tolerances and then blaming the customer when things went to ****.
    I think he got Nasioc to wipe most of the inflated horsepower claim threads. But there were a few where he somehow had cars making well over 500whp on 720cc injectors. Usually those threads were posted when a more legit shop had posted about a 500+hp car they were tuning/building.

15. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

So back to the OP's original question (this is coming from an 08 sti owner that experienced a cracked ringland)...

First, you ask 5 people for their opinions, and you will get 5 different responses. Here's mine:
    Either an 04 or 08 will be unreliable with a poor tune, bad maintenance (specifically monitoring oil levels and changes) and pushing the stock motor past...stock power levels.
    With quick research, you will see that 08+ STI are fairly prone to ringland failure. Everyone from babying a bone stock STI to a larger turbo on stock block have had failures. There are also a lot of people from stock to heavily modified stock that are running fine (search for the IWSTI thread for the high mileage 08+ sti owners).
    Reasons for ringland failure? Again, a million different opinions. But here is what I've seen/heard most commonly: poor tune, poor fueling (stock fueling setup), too much power for the triscuit pistons, etc.

I don't think that any STI pistons were ever coated, but I could be wrong. I think the only big change between the 04-07 sti's and 08+ STI was going from dual AVCS (intake only I think) to quad AVCS (intake and exhaust). (AVCS is basically subaru vtec...variable valve timing).

Are 08's more prone to ringland failure than an 04? Probably.

What did I do/why did I buy an 08? I wanted the extra leg room, slightly "nicer" 08+ platform, and better car loan rate. I also accepted the fact from the day that I bought my STI that I was going to crack a ringland, and I budgeted for it. When it happened (I would blame it on too much power and racing for the stock block), I made the executive decision to rebuild it stronger and keep it.

ofspunk7 likes this.
  16. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Here's the truth that many can't seem to accept. I don't know why...

It seems that all the Turbo Subaru pistons are weak. Doesn't matter if it's a 2002 or 2014

The EJ257/255 are more prone to cracking ringlands vs the EJ205, but that doesn't mean the EJ205 are bulletproof. They're also weak.

All the OEM subaru pistons have coating on the side skirts.

Some funny stuff you read on the internet.

I've read the stock pistons are only good up to XXX Hp.

You can make power on anything. Lol, but how long will it last?

You have Driver A who made 500hp on a stock motor but drove it like a grandma for 70k without issues. Probably hit 5psi once in a blue moon.
    Then you have Driver B who made 350hp on a stock motor who beats the crap out of it and only lasted 10k.

Can't really put a # on these stock motors.

spudd, Nhibbs and TMF like this.
  17. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

And let's clarify this whole 255/257 mess so others won't try to say one is better/weaker than the other.

FXT 2004-2005, LGT 2005-2006, and the Baja came with an EJ255. Those models have the same pistons as the EJ257.
    Same crankshaft, Same connecting rods. Same camshafts, same cylinder heads, same Semi closed deck.

They did include the Intake AVCS just like the 257.

Starting 2006, Subaru decided to give the WRX a 2.5L
    EJ255, but this time, piston dish was redesigned. Also changed was the combustion chamber in the cylinder heads.
    Still contains AVCS, same camshafts.
    As for the shortblock, same crankshaft, same rods. Still semi closed deck.

Does it make the pistons better/worse? No, still same ringland failure, lol

2006+ FXT and 2007-2009 LGT now have this EJ255

Starting 2008+ STI, they included exhaust AVCS. The connecting rods are SLIGHTLY beefier.

However, 2010 LGT went back to the same design as the 08+STI. Dual AVCS, same camshaft, rods, and all that stuff.

Subaru began to use nitride crankshaft vs standard crankshaft. Subaru then discontinued those nitride crankshafts sometime in 2011/2012 and have heat treated crankshafts.

You can google up the 2007sti and their piston issues. Subaru changed a few things in the ecu. Those things were popping left to right. More of a tune issue than anything else if you ask me.

Nhibbs and TMF like this.
  18. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Nuke = the best

ofspunk7 and Nhibbs like this.
  19. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarifications Nuke, good info ;)

I do remember you telling me while I was searching for an STI that the 08's were no worse than the previous years!

20. Rico-03 WRX

Rico-03 WRX Member

Thanks for everything. It definitely makes things easier for me to decide. Nuke I may be giving you a call in the near future for some more tuning :)

21. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

he just had to wait until the very end to say anything. So nuke of him.

eterenity11 and ofspunk7 like this.
  22. LagWagon

LagWagon Well-Known Member

This weak motor crap makes me regret buying a Subaru. A little sad that my stock block e36 m3 turbo can throw down 500+wtq reliably every day of its life and take a beating without issue (granted it is a 6cyl) when even going stage 1 on a Subaru WRX is putting it at a very real risk of crapping out. Oh well. I'm going to do a tune and intake on the WRX and call it a day - its plenty awesome for what it is right now.

23. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Famous Last Words :coffee:

joebush44 and Jim C like this.
  24. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Somewhat yes, but you have to keep in mind that there are far more well running WRX's than broken ones. You will just see more of the "broken" ones here on the forum because a lot of us tend to modify them, beat the crap out of them, and then only come here to the site to complain about it. Maintain yours properly and you will be far ahead of the curve.

ofspunk7 and LagWagon like this.