'04 WRX wagon stereo reciever and speaker questions

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by nimblevictoria, Aug 20, 2010.

1. nimblevictoria

nimblevictoria Well-Known Member

Looking for a place where I could get an aftermarket receiver installed for a good price. I live around St. Louis Park / Hopkins area.

Also wondering about the size of speakers for my '04 WRX wagon. It's 6.5" front door and 4" rear door, right? Anyone recommend some good speakers? I'm thinking about Polk db series.

2. Bielke55

Bielke55 Well-Known Member

I live in hopkins and dont mind helping out with install radio/speaker parts.

I know the fronts are for sure 6.5" as for the rears IDK. But 4" sounds/looks right for the parts pictures.

I have always been pleased with kenwood speakers and such.

3. pattertj

pattertj Member

You have the speaker sizes correct, Bielke55. I used to have Polk db speakers in my truck, I liked them a lot.

As for reciever install, it is super simple. If you have the wiring harness it is just a matter of minutes to do. I did one for a forum member when he bought my old stereo, as well in my own car twice. Mine is an 05, his was an 04.

4. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Some of the deeper front door speakers need spacers to fit correctly. Maximum top-mount depth w/o spacer is about 1.6". Maximum top-mount depth w/spacer is about 2.6-2.9". Check this thread for more info on the installs:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170844

5. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

6. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

Agree, a stereo install is fairly easy. I've got polk's in my car and have been very happy with them.