05 LGT vs. Stage 1 WRX

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Scuba Steve, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

Hmm...sounds like I need to get off my butt and order my up/down asap. 05 LGT vs my stage 1 with exhaust. It was even until 1/2 way through second gear and the legacy pulled ahead 1/2 a car length. third i caught up and started move ahead until we shut down

I thought the heavier LGT wouldn't hang so well!?!

2. jdmspecWRX

jdmspecWRX Well-Known Member

Just curious.......what constitutes a Stage 1, Stage 2, Stage 3 in a WRX or any other car? It gets confusing sometimes.......a buddy of mine says that my car has a Stage 2 clutch because its so stiff...........but its stock, and he says that the WRX clutch comes w/ a Stage 2 clutch stock to handle the power and torque. My guess is he's a Honda guy with the feather-touch clutch. What's your thought on that?

What if my rex has Exhaust, Headers, Intake (I know its a no, no), Prodrive suspension, Short throw shifter, larger wheels........what stage is that? Don't mean to sound sarcastic, but just want to know.

Thanks.

3. Scuba Steve

I couldn't help you. I was referring to my Cobb AP, which is an ECU reflash. I should've clarified. However, if you have full exhaust (turbo back) and headers, then I would assume you also have an aftermarket or gutted stock up-pipe? If so, then you should look into engine management.

you don't have a stage 2 clutch. WRX comes with a stiffer feel, but it's by now means what your friend would call stage 2.

suspension is something totally different..regarding stages so I couldn't help you on that.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong with my statements.

Within the next couple weeks I will go to Stage 2, but that again is a Cobb AP stage 2. that includes an up/downpipe and another ECU reflash....

4. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Your Honda friend is talking out of his anus on the Stage2 clutch. Stages are vendor specific. As they are identifiers for staged upgrades that they offer or support. I would assume by Stage1 he is referring to Cobb's Stage 1 which is most popular these days. Not the stage itself, but Cobb's staged upgrade path. So by Stage1 + exhaust he means "Cobb Stg1 AP ECU tune + a catback exhaust."

I know TurboXS has different staging systems...for instance, Stage 4 at TXS could be Stage 2.5 (unofficial) from Cobb. Hell, if you wanted to, you could call your upgrade setup Stage whatever you want. The whole "Stage X" thing got shoved way out of line by the Gran Turismo series. Lots of people ask stupid questions like, "Is that a Stage 3 turbo or a Stage 4?" WTF? Um, no.

5. Scuba Steve

speaking of cobb 2.5. do you know anyone that has installed the injectors? I've been holding off on the stage 2 because stage 2.5 is right around the corner. I figured since I was going to be in there I might as well go all the way. the injector installation is the only part of the upgrade I'm a bit fuzzy on...(regarding the install itself.) I recently decided to just go for the stage 2 until i was clear on the injector install and had ample time to do it properly. Also, my tranny is a concern. It still works very well, by I'm concerned about the added hp at stage 2.5. (FYI- I never drop the clutch or do any crazy down shifts.) Any wisdom on that?

6. yamie700

yamie700 Well-Known Member

05+ Legacies are definitely fast, I have a wagon. Before I bought I test drove the 92x(Saabs WRX) and forester xt. Legacy was noticeably faster than the 92x and the forester xt was a little quicker than the legacy, at least 0-60.

The Legacy may have been Cobb stage 1 as well, that gives about 285hp/300tq at the flywheel. I want to go stage 2 eventually but I will leave it stock for autocross for now.

7. yamie700

yamie700 Well-Known Member

Oh, and the Legacy does not weigh that much more than the WRX, especially if you look at the non-limited Legacy. Also I believe the 250tq of the Legacy is slightly underrated, which makes them quicker than you would think.

8. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

I have seen tuned stage 1 lgt's that were around 300tq at the wheels. The lgt really likes a tune, they are very de-tuned from subaru. You need to remember, it is basically the same motor as the sti.

Russ

9. readymix

If you are like me, and you don't drop the clutch, you should be fine...it depends on what turbo you intend to use. I'm guessing that since you are thinking Cobb 2.5, you are going with the VF34....definately no tranny problems to date on that setup for me. Injectors suck the first time you swap them, beyond that it is easy as long as you don't put the Green Brackets of Death back in.

10. asiandude

asiandude Well-Known Member

fong almost got walk a couple of days ago by my wrx

11. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

almost, if you mean he had 4 people in his car and you had only yourself with an empty tank of gas....fong could hose you

12. Scuba Steve

what are you referring to regarding the green brackets of death? Andyes, I was going for the VF34 due to my cobb set-up. Otherwise I'd have to go with the street tune if I wanted any other turbo, correct?

13. asiandude

asiandude Well-Known Member

uno about that one...but fong was alone and i had a friend with me in my car....it was a good run

14. Dream

Dream Well-Known Member

Dont limit yourself to just the VF turbo beacause of your Accessport. All you would need is a pro-tune if you got anything other than a VF, like a super 16g or something similar. I am running a 20g on my STi with a pro-tune from Jorge and LOVE IT!

15. readymix

A VF22 is a nice turbo though. It'll make nice power on a WRX. But the truth is strong in Dream's post. Any turbo can be tuned for with a ProTune.

The Green Brackets of Death are green metal brackets that cover the fuel rails and injectors. They are all wound up in cables, hoses, and AC lines. They will either pop right out, or they will break your will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.