08 OBS and 5-door Impreza differences?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by bhiku, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhiku

bhiku Well-Known Member

Hiya!
    I am new to the forum and just recently moved back to the States. I have owned 2 Justy's (Justies?) in the past but was never a car guy until our last car - a classic Mini.
    Anyway, we have been looking at the 2008 Imprezas and I am wondering about the differences between the Outback Sport and the 2.5i 5-door.
    I don't mean the simple differences Subaru posts on the website, i.e. 16x6.5 steel or alloy wheels vs. 17x7, heated seats, two-tone (I don't dig that, actually), fog lights, etc.; but things like suspension or brakes, cockpit guages/controls, etc.
    The OBS wheel size is the same as the WRX; but is there a OBS suspension different from the 2.5i or the WRX? There are Navi options for the 2.5i and the WRX but there does not seem to be one for the OBS. I don't think I want the Navi, but am curious why it wouldn't be offered. And are the Bumper Underguards that are standard on the OBS merely cosmetic since it appears the rear differential protector is only an option?
    MNSubaru seems to have a pretty diverse and knowledgeable membership and since dealerships don't seem to be getting very many of the OBS in, I thought this would a good place to ask these questions. Thanks for any insight, eh!

Christopher

2. Dynapar

Dynapar Well-Known Member

I am not so sure about the newer OBS and 2.5is. However I think that on the GF (90s) styled OBS they had a slightly different suspension setup giving them slightly more groudn clearance. sorry i cant be of more help.

3. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

like martin said, historically, the differences are pretty minimal. the OBS get's a very slightly taller suspension. and other than that.....it's pretty much a trim package. they may have changed it for the new body style, but I doubt it.

4. prezawagon

prezawagon Well-Known Member

On the older outback sports, most of the extra ground clearance actually came from slightly larger tires. I've read speculation that they have different strut/springs, but I've never been able to find any proof of that, and visually you can't tell them apart.

Chux is right, the outback sport is mostly a better trim package.

5. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

my work (mtk) has a couple obs's

6. bhiku

bhiku Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for the responses. I thought I had read somewhere that there was a suspension difference between the OBS and Wagons on some past models. But I don't remember where so I can accept the trim difference explanation as good marketing.

Anyone want to weigh in on the Bumper Underguards as being functional vs. cosmetic?

We'll be in the Cities this weekend so maybe we'll try to stop into Minnetonka. The dealer search says one the OBS is a manual :) - that seems to be a bit of a rare bird nowadays.

7. Dynapar

I am not quite sure which bumper undergaurds you are reffering too. IMO replace all that plastic junk under the car with some good ole aluminum (primitive racing FTW)

8. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

Previous OBS's had:

Rear diff cover standard
    UGLY 2 tone paint
    Softer springs
    Same struts as in a 2.5RS
    Steelies

9. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

ugly? psh... beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

10. Dynapar

Indeed.

11. curly2k3

mmmmm, goldies. outdated pics now. lol

12. AWDimprezaL

OBS ftw, sleeper (when swapped)

13. curly2k3

no kidding, makes me wish i would've trucked thru and done mine

14. esperunit

esperunit Well-Known Member

the obs was the first impreza or subaru I ever rode in and made me love them. But it was a black one that wasn't two tone.

Also some year obs's had 17's that were kinda crappy looking.

this is the pure awfulness of the obs in pictoral form

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

god they're horrid.

and here is the answer to all of your questions:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/impreza/impreza2008.html

15. bhiku

bhiku Well-Known Member

Great link! Thanks for the help all.

Curiously there is a reference in the model comparisons that claims there is a OBS version not yet released that will have a moonroof... hmmm. Subiesport says maybe an option in the year 2008 as I recall. But this if OT. Thanks again!

16. Taras

Taras BANNED

Get a wrx and you will not regret it.

17. driftin240

driftin240 Well-Known Member

If you think the OBS (especially the red one) are ugly, then your calling your car ugly. It's an Impreza wagon, with two tone paint and some different wheels. The ground clearance difference is so minimal compared to a 2.5i wagon.

I'll give you the point that some of the paint schemes aren't the greatest choices, but the car is far from ugly.

18. AWDimprezaL

also all OBS's were two tone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.