08 Outback Worst Used Car per CR mag

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by pcwerk, Mar 15, 2018.

1. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

Disappointed to see the 2018 issue of Consumer Reports Auto issue magazine (p.84)
    name the 2008 Outback as one the "worst used cars". I'm starting to see why since ours
    just had clutch go out after owning it a month, and the mechanic showed me while the
    car was up *both* headgaskets are leaking! Hopefully, they will hang in there for at least
    6 months to give me some time to squirrel away some dough :( Anyway, he also pointed
    out that the radiator was for an automatic and was leaking transmission fluid so it was used.
    (i assume the fluid will eventually leak all the way out with time?) oh well, she is a beaut and
    a few more thousand dollars she should be top notch!

2. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

well the leak has stopped, so i guess that was all the residual fluid. it still chaps me
    that the seller said it was a "new" radiator and it was really "new to him"! what else
    did he not mention???

tangledupinblu likes this.
  3. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

I know this thread is technically about the CR article, but I've got a couple quick questions for you:

1. Did you get any kind of a pre buy inspection on the vehicle before you bought it?

2. Was this a private party sale?

3. Did you pull or request a Carfax report, or get any kind of vehicle history?

I feel for ya. The 05-09 Outback is a great vehicle, but it has its quarks.

pcwerk likes this.
  4. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

yes, it was from craigslist but the car was very clean. i looked it over and got a 30day headgasket warranty,
    but these are probably quite a few months (years?) before they go. we did get a carfax so at least it wasn't
    a salvage title (and he showed pics of front end that was damaged and on the up and up). didn't see the clutch
    going out at all...

5. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Yea, I don't know anything about the article. Seems odd, 05-09 Legacy and Outbacks hold their value extremely well, so more people are buying them then selling them.

EJ253 head gaskets leak. They almost all do. Luckily, unlike the stereotypical head gasket failure, it's just an oil leak. It's not something that will leave you on the side of the road. Just check your oil periodically. My '03 had leaking head gaskets for about 50k miles before I did anything about it.

Clutch is a wear item. They are never intended not to need to be replaced, and rarely covered under any sort of warranty.

pcwerk likes this.
  6. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Buying a used car with a manual transmission (clutch) is like marrying a former call girl...you're pretty sure everything works as intended, but you don't know how things were used and abused. And the remaining life expectancy.

7. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

I have had my fair share of repairs with my 08, wheel bearings, cv axles, headgaskets, oil sensors, and transmission pan seal but it’s been a pretty good car and never left me stranded. As a Subaru owner I expect to spend an atrocious amount of money (and tears) on repairs

8. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

Or get an H6 Outback, don't drive like an idiot, and she'll last a long time.....of course you'd be giving up the 3rd pedal, but it's still fun as hell to drive!

9. subie-roo

subie-roo Well-Known Member

I have been seriously considering the 15+ 3.6R Outbacks. I really liked the 15 when I had it as a company car, but the 2.5 was lacking in the oomph department.

But I also hate to get rid of my 08 after all of the recent maintenance, theoretically it should have plenty of life left, especially since I drive it somewhat seasonally.

10. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

So question to the Subaru knowledge base here, would you consider this a very specific to 2008 model year problem or does this rating affect the entire range of this body style? Was possibly considering these for our next Subie.

11. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

I thought you were getting a crown vic? or was it a tahoe? suburban? lincoln town car? come on, "what's it gonna be boy, yes or no?"-Meatloaf. Don't tell me to let you sleep on it either :)

pcwerk and pillboy like this.
  12. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

The word "Meatloaf" was redundant for us old folks.

pcwerk likes this.
  13. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Next Subie doesn't necessarily mean next car.

14. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

i think it has more to do with many people sell there cars after 10 years, and when you get a 10-year
    old Subie it frequently needs a head gasket. the clutch going out after only 30 days was just my bum luck :(
    i guess i should also add they put in the notes on my receipt that the rear u-joint is "starting to
    bind" when you move it around...whatever that means?

15. pcwerk

pcwerk Well-Known Member

Update: the pisser about the u-joint binding is apparently replacements
    come complete with the drive shaft and cost a small fortune...