08 STi power steering pump

Discussion in 'Want To Buy : Cars/Parts' started by Burrz, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Burrz

Burrz Member

Anyone have a working power steering pump that'll fit an 08 STi? Mine is impersonating a pig.

2. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Have you tried fully swapping in new fluid? Sometimes that will fix the issue, assuming you haven't run it bone dry.

3. Burrz

Burrz Member

The fluid looks decent and isn't empty. It squeaks and squeels like crazy on cold starts so I figured the pump was gone.

4. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

When was the last time you drained and refilled the system? Try that first (it's best to drain it from the rack or the return line...not the turkey baster method) and properly bleed it...if it still makes noise, there are also some other common culprits that allow air into the system (there's o-ring on the top that can cause issues...search on iwsti/nasioc). Once you've exhausted those options, then you might need to replace the pump. But if you don't fix the core of the issue, you'll just keep burning out pumps.

My 08 STI had steering pump noises...the guy I sold it to (I see him all the time) actually fixed the issue. He ended up having a machinist make a specific fitting for the top of the pump lol. He also made his own custom PS reservoir/swirl pot. This stuff is not always necessary (he's an engineer and likes to over-engineer), but if that seal wasn't fixed, he probably would have kept burning out the pump.

5. Burrz

Burrz Member

I haven't messed with it since I got the car. I assume it was done when the motor was out 29K miles ago. I've had it for 26K miles. Car has 121K on it and I'm not sure if it was replaced when the motor was out. I should try doing fluid first as it's cheaper. It seems to be leaking from the reservoir as there's fluid buildup on the hose at the bottom of the reservoir. But the fluid level is good.