08 STi traction control button

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Burrz, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Burrz

Burrz Member

my 2008 STi is having issues being able to turn traction control off. The light in the dash illuminates at start up like normal and then turns off and the light on the button turns on when the lights come on. When I push and hold the button nothing happens. I've unplugged and re-plugged in the clip behind the dash. I've also pulled the fuse and put it back in and that didn't help. If anyone has any input that'd be great.

2. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

On the 08 STI, a single push and release of the traction control button turns off all traction control (the light on the gauge cluster will be amber). When you push and hold the button (I don't recall how long), the traction control light (gauge cluster) will turn green, and is not fully off - traction control will still kick in at certain levels of wheel slip/slip angle. etc.

Are you talking about the light on the button itself, or the light on the gauge cluster?

3. Burrz

Burrz Member

I understand that part. It used to work just fine. I recently got tuned and had to wire in my AFR, boost, and ethanol gauge and since then it hasn't worked. The light iluminates during start ups like it's supposed to and then goes away so the light in the dash works. But nothing happens when I hit the button. All of the lights work but it won't turn off ever is the problem.

4. Todd

Todd The Originator Staff Member

Do you have reference voltage (probably 5 volts, test with a DVOM) out of the VDC Control unit to the VDC Mode Change Switch on the Orange wire?

Does the voltage drop to 0 volts when the VDC Mode Change Switch is pressed?

Attached Files:

5. Burrz

Burrz Member

ill look into that this weekend as my buddy has a tool for that and I don't. I'll post what I find out.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  6. Todd

Digital Volt Ohm Meter. Less than $30.

7. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Todd likes this.
  8. Burrz

Burrz Member

Just tested it. The orange wire is 12V and it doesn't turn to 0 when pressed.

9. Todd

Sounding like a bad switch.
    If you momentarily ground the reference voltage, does the traction off light come on?

10. Burrz

Burrz Member

couldn't get the light to come on. We were guessing it's the button and hopefully that fixes the issue. I appreciate your help and insight.