'08+ WRX Blouch 440XT Fitment Issues

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Jason@DB, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Jason@DB

Jason@DB Vendor

For those who this may apply to now or in the future.

We are in the works of installing a Blouch 440XT on a '13 WRX using the Perrin TMIC (PSPENG320). The intercooler fits just fine with the stock turbo, but when the 440 is put in place the bolt nearest to the firewall does not line up.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The flange on the turbo needs to be rotated counter clockwise for the bolts to line up. It's not much, but it's enough to cause fitment issues. With the Blouch and Perrin TMIC we found that the intercooler not only sat lower on the throttle body side, but was also crooked (Front to back).

I have been in contact with both Blouch and Perrin to figure out why there is fitment issues but we have not been able to come to any conclusion. For what it's worth, I did find someone who described the EXACT same fitment issue when using the 320 Perrin TMIC and the 440XT.

Blouch sells this as a direct bolt-in turbo for '05-'09 LGT and '08+ WRX. But we seem to have found an exception. I'll keep this updated as I know more. Hopefully this will prevent someone else from having this same problem.

2. 03subyR

03subyR Well-Known Member

Does it fit with stock intercooler?

3. Jason@DB

Jason@DB Vendor

Oddly the fitment was worse with the stock unit. We found the hot side flange barely reached the turbo side flange when the 440 was in.

To make it fit we had to ream out the intercooler bolt holes in a way that it did not mar the end tank, but gave us the clearance we needed.

Although it's still slightly crooked, it's 200% better than it was. Before the throttle body side would pinch the vacuum assist for the brake booster between the core and manifold.
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps someone in the future!

4. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Is the compressor hitting the air pump hard pipe and causing the turbo to sit higher?

5. Jason@DB

Jason@DB Vendor

Nope, all is clear of the compressor housing. The turbo bolts in and sits as it should, and the inlet pipe lines up as well. The only thing awry is the turbo-side flange.

6. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

Most of the Blouch compressors will hit that pipe, even if only very slightly.

Did you try clocking the compressor housing at all?

7. Jason@DB

Jason@DB Vendor

We did, and found even with it clocked the rear bolt does not line up. The flange on the turbo literally needs to rotate to have true "bolt-on" fitment.