09 WRX or 06 Evo?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Musashi, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

My Subaru Forester is fast approaching the point of replacement. I'm considering replacing it with a 09 WRX Wagon or a 06 EVO. This will be my daily driver and sometimes track car. I plan to only replace brake pads and tires for my track events. Power mod's will be minimal if even that, I'm more interested in improving the driveability and reliability.

I don't know anything about cars except that they can be a lot of fun and also a lot of trouble. So which one would you recommend? I'm looking for cost effective DD and occasional track, but fun. I'm not too worried about the cops since I can out drive them on NFS and GTA.

2. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

Well I guess it depends on your preference. The EVO is a great car, however the WRX is going to have more room and is a little more "luxurious" as far as the interior goes. Get the EVO if you want a beast that can tear up the track, or get the WRX if you want something slightly more comfortable from day to day.

3. olegrad

olegrad Well-Known Member

Back when I was looking, didn't you try to persuade me to get an Evo? I think that's your answer! ;)

4. Lowrider

Lowrider Well-Known Member

This is a joke, how dare you say you know nothing about cars?

lol

5. Infamous NF Crew

Infamous NF Crew BANNED

foreal? i'd say go with what your heart desires, not your head.

6. 03subyR

03subyR Well-Known Member

I would go with 09+ WRX for daily comute and occational track day.

7. Musashi

hmmm, so which car would be better for drifting?

8. Musashi

I will have you know I am experiencing some amnesia...... :banghead: lol

As the current situation stands I've lost interest in modifying my own cars and it's much cheaper to just show up and help driver others. Although I currently have a ++moderately modified 240sx it's not ideal for DD 24/7 MN. And also for the seasonal trips out of town to National track events. For example like next week I'll be driving to Barber Motosports, Al for a 5 day event but the 240sx isn't ready so I've resorted to going with a friend and his NA 2.5RS.

The WRX wagon would be great should I need to carry tires and need a place to spend the night, but it's way below my skill level. The EVO might be more dynamic and offer more options should I decide to push the car even harder.

For improved DD ride comfort I intend to just lower the tire pressures.

9. Musashi

Well my head tells me since I'm surrounded by Subaru's and I could drive yours and the rest of the crew's at anytime so it wouldn't make sense to get another Subaru, right?

Thanks for entertaining me! I just needed to take a few steps back and think about this. :angel:

But feel free to add additional thoughts below. :frantic:

10. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

I think the only logical answer here is to get the 09 WRX Hatch so we can be twins.

11. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

F dat ish homeboy
    GT-R

Infamous NF Crew likes this.
  12. ofspunk7

Nuke has a point. When I asked you what car you liked to drive most on the track what was your answer? GT-R

Infamous NF Crew likes this.
  13. Infamous NF Crew

Infamous NF Crew BANNED

me and nuke did indeed saw a red r35 yesterday while tuning.

14. Musashi

Yes, Black & Yellow, Black & Yellow all the way :alien:

ofspunk7 likes this.
  15. Musashi

Fine GT-R it is!!! That would be closer to my skill set....:censored:

16. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with a 09 WRX hatch! If you get one of these, you'll have to upgrade the suspension to put it on the track. These are ridiculously soft from the factory. There are getting to be good options out there for upgrades. (Bilstein :) ) Might be better off in a STI. You'll get the better drive train.

17. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

I dunno man.... them tires might get chewed up.... oooohhhhhHHHHHHH!!!!!!! You might lose compression too!

I don't know how to touch GT-R's.... might have to call up MiNEs......

18. Musashi

Thanks for the thought.

19. Musashi

Oh I know you are a very very very busy man so I couldn't imagine bothering you with the Niissann LOLWOT

20. olegrad

Yo, there's only enough room for one gtr in this crew and I already called it! Lol.

21. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Pics or ban

22. olegrad

^lol. I meant I will buy one in the future...or maybe the guy driving the red one was me ;)

23. Musashi

No worries mine will be fully electric and you can operate it remotely

24. Erik508

Erik508 Member

Might be a silly question, but have you test driven both? Evo was on my list until I test drove it- it was awesome no doubt, but I didn't love it $12k+ more than the wrx. :)

25. Musashi

Not silly at all....I don't believe I have, what kinds of things did you like and didn't like about both?

26. Musashi

So which one will get me to the 9's before the NF crew?

27. ofspunk7

You're buying the car before Sunday ;)

28. Musashi

Yes this Thursday, I'll have to find out where I put that 9 sec recipe. :frantic:

Infamous NF Crew and ofspunk7 like this.
  29. Erik508

Erik508 Member

The Evo was an Evo VIII with 37k miles (in fact it was this one: http://www.simplyluxuryimports.com/...cer-Evolution-MR-Eden-Prairie-Minnesota-55344). The WRX I drove (and eventually bought) was a 2011 sedan base model. To be honest, I'd coveted an Evo for so long that I probably was just expecting too much out of it when I got in the seat. It was responsive, reasonably fast, and handled pretty well. But I didn't feel blown away by it. That car seemed to be in good shape, although the interior felt slightly drab. I just didn't feel a good connection with it when I drove it.

In the end, I got a brand new wrx for the same price as the 05 Evo. Even if the Evo had met all my expectations, I might have still ended up with the same car just for economical reasons.

Other cars I test drove: Mazdaspeed 3 (AWESOME car for the money. I couldn't get past the FWD though, it really bothered me :( ), Mazdaspeed 6 (AWD but was too big and clunky, also has a horrible interior IMO), and an STI. I did like the STI, and the DCCD was the coolest gadget I've seen in a long time. I was drawn to it like a moth to a flame.. but overall I figured it wasn't worth $8k more to me than my base WRX.

30. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

I agree that driving both would be the best way to aid in your decision. From what I have read have a good driving skill set, and I would imagine that you would have a pretty good idea by driving either car which one you would be more comfortable and happy with. I think the fact that the two cars you are considering are seperated by 3-years would be a factor, considering that a 09 WRX would still have some warranty, depending on mileage.

I'm sure you will be happy with either...... as long as you end up with a Subaru:D

31. Moleness

Moleness I can change the internet Staff Member

Get the GT-R, then we can high-five and trade cars and drive around for awhile ;) (or the Evo for that matter...)

32. webcrawlr

webcrawlr Well-Known Member

Stock for stock that EVO would eat up the WRX for track duty. You knew that already though. ;)

33. Musashi

Would having driven them on GT5 and Dirt help? I don't know anyone with these cars. Which one would make me look less ricer do you think? I personally like wings.

34. ofspunk7

^ Actually you have driven an 09 WRX. You took mine around BIR for a total of 5 or 6 laps.

35. Infamous NF Crew

Infamous NF Crew BANNED

wings? i'd go with gtr :)

36. asiandude

asiandude Well-Known Member

Evo because top gear said so!

37. Musashi

I've decided since I work with BMW so much I'll join them, M1 would be ideal for what i need.

38. ofspunk7

M5 WAGON (euro)

39. StanmoXT

StanmoXT Well-Known Member

Found this little write up... Bmw 1M vs RS3 (its a pdf so it'll download and you can view)

40. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

To be logical...if you feel that the evo better suits your driving ability, and the 09 wrx hatch is more practical for daily use, why not look at an 08+ STi hatch? It would closely match both your driving abilities as well as your DD necessities.

...only issue perhaps is the cost. You might spend a bit more on the STi, but would probably be more enjoyable in the long run. You might be able to find an 08 for low 30's or high 20's, depending on how much mileage you are comfortable with.

41. Musashi

Thanks for the input. I really don't think I should buy a Subaru primarily because I'm surrounded by them. And I think a 600 hp STI is still not fast enough. I think it's time to get a V8 and put it into an Import and call it a day!

Thanks for providing the insight.

42. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

V8 in an import...just like the little insane purple miata that goes autox's!

And I wasn't recommending the STi simply because this is a subie forum, it just seemed like a good mix. The A3 (too bad we can't get an RS3 here) is an excellent choice as well, although a little small. To me, a good, fun DD has to be practical and fun to drive. AWD, space for storage, power with decent gas mileage and handles well...most of these things can be found in a Subie, Mitsubishi (evo or lancer ralliart specifically), Audi avant's, etc. Heck, for the V8 power and practicality...get an S4 avant! (a friend of mine has the '10 S4 sedan with the blown V6...the thing is a rocket and rides/handles amazing).

I loved my saabaru as a daily...wagons/hatchs ftw :D

43. Musashi

Thanks TMF, I hear ya, Subaru is a great mix. I just don't think they are dynamic enough for what I'm looking for.

44. Musashi

I've decided after much consideration: I plan to turbo charge my new car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]