'11 WRX - clunk/knock when shifting at low speeds

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by DavidPHumes, Feb 2, 2015.

1. DavidPHumes

DavidPHumes Well-Known Member

Hi all,

2011 WRX
    62,000 miles

Potentially relevant mods:
    Perrin pitch stop mount
    Perrin front and rear shift linkage bushings

I have had my 2011 WRX for about 8 months now, and so far everything has been flawless up until Saturday. I drove the car Saturday morning and had no issues and then started it to drive to dinner that night when I noticed a "clunk" sound (almost like the sound of engine knocking but it's definitely not coming from the engine) when shifting from 1st to 2nd as well as 2nd to 3rd. You can also sort of feel it when holding onto the shifter. The clunk occurs AFTER being in gear and letting out the clutch pedal. It sounds like it's coming from transmission area. This seems to only occur at very low speeds.

I have searched around and it is often suggested that it's driver error, however, I've driven the car without this very distinct sound for 8 months now - something is definitely different. I jacked the car up and everything looks fine to me, and all bolts seem to be ok. However, I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. Only thing I noticed is that the rubber appears to maybe be separated on the transmission mount, but I don't know if it's usually like this or not:

[​IMG]

Any thoughts on places to start looking?

Thanks,
    David

2. DavidPHumes

DavidPHumes Well-Known Member

Looks like the transmission mount is normal. Might need to recheck the pitch stop to make sure it's tight.

3. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Motor mounts?

4. Sjogun

Sjogun Active Member

I've seen the exhaust hanger bracket break, causing a clunking noise. I would get under there and wiggle stuff around, and use a pry bar to move the trans back and forth. There is part of the trans mount, in the center of it, that goes down through the trans subframe, and if out of adjustment/bent can contact subframe. Just a couple things to check out.