132k bugeye comments?!

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by 9blackmax6, Sep 25, 2008.

1. 9blackmax6

9blackmax6 Well-Known Member

alright so i found a 2002 wrx 5 speed with 132k miles on it. i was wondering what the common problems were with the 02-03 bugeyes, i know that the trannys arent the greatest and if you dont go easy on them they like to blow up. i did some searching on nasioc and i didnt really find any major problems with the engines or turbos going back or blowing headgaskets. but i was wondering if some of you could share some more personal information about the quality of your ride :cool: btw ive been looking for a bugeye for a while now, my lego was just a doorway car to get me onto bigger and better things.

P.S. can someone run a quick carfax for me too if someone has unlimited carfaxes. heres the vin in case someone wants to run that for me
    #VIN_JF1GD29652G507160

2. driftin240

driftin240 Well-Known Member

The '02MY were notorious for burning valves if imporperly maintained. '03's did it too, just quite a bit fewer.

Possible clutch replacement, check all suspension, check wheel bearings. Mostly wear items.

3. 9blackmax6

is there anyway of checking or hearing for certian sounds when trying to figure out if it has bad valves? other than ticking?

4. Ghost

Ghost New Member

I have an 02 WRX with over 148XXX miles. Just recently, I started to hear a clunky noise from the rear. Perhaps suspensions? The car is very lightly modded. Mostly hwy miles, oil is changed religiously at 3000 miles. But again, I don't beat up on the car often.

5. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

the turbo at that mileage could be taking a downward spiral too

6. BoBo82

BoBo82 Member

i also hear (not sure if its true) that the transmissions in the 02's were a bit weak at first because they couldn't handle the power as well. im told they beefed em up a bit in 03'--but like I said, this is what my buddy tells me with an 02 bugeye.

7. Vector

Vector Rally Organizer

Compression test is probably the best.

My understanding was that the vale issue was more dependent on the fuel used, and not maintenance. It's happened to some people I know maintained their vehicles impeccably, but who ran particular brands of gas.

8. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

beating off the hordes of adoring moist females in love with you for owning such a sexy beast...

9. Ylime

Ylime Well-Known Member

piston slap...I have it and its annoying...but it goes away once the car warms up.

10. wrexinator03

wrexinator03 Banana Cream

agreed i have this problem all the time...i carry a broom just to keep them away :laugh:

11. TSTRBOY2004

except in Taxi's ;)

12. wrexinator03

wrexinator03 Banana Cream

why i outta............so back on topic!!! do ittttttttttttt bugeyes=t3hultimatesexorzzzzzzzzz

13. tofuboy

tofuboy Active Member

:biggrin: 10-9........

14. gran0393

gran0393 Well-Known Member

this is my only problem i know of now...kinda annoying but after it warms up its all good

15. ArcticWolf

ArcticWolf Well-Known Member

but that's all scoobys, not just the bugeyes.

16. Ej22TIM

Ej22TIM Well-Known Member

^ not too many 2.2s slap yo

17. SubeN'Siren

SubeN'Siren Well-Known Member

Unless the previous owner took care of the problem, you will most likely notice nasty raw gasoline smells coming from under the hood when it gets cold...something to do with a fuel line or rail being undersized or loose...do a search and you will find it...I haven't got around to fixing mine yet...kinda like a leaky roof...when it leaks, it's cold as hell, and you don't feel like working on the car, and when it's nice out...it don't leak, so you forget about it...till next december.:roll:

18. Daveo

Daveo Well-Known Member

There's a recall or TSB for that fuel leak (can't remember which, but I got my car fixed for free just outside of warranty). Also a pretty unsafe thing to leave unchecked.

19. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

None of the bad outweigh the good!

I pound on it daily. 159,997 miles are on it as it sits right now. I bought it with 46,000 in 03.

problems:

1)The fuel leak recall.(i think we've all experienced this one.)

2)Front wheel bearings.

3)100,000=change the timing belt.

4)Tranny, I replaced mine at 140,000 or so. But I Rally-X also and was a little 'extra hard' on it.

5)People ask you if it's a Neon alot...:roll:

They are very stout little cars. I wouldn't trade it for anything!
    Just make sure that you look it over well. Ask alot of questions when buying and try to find out vehicle/owner backround. Knowing how the car was previously driven is most important.

20. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Oil changes and constant oil level checking are VERY critical on the 2.0, if its stock it has less chance of spinning a rod bearing later in life (because it was probably beat on)

21. Ghost

Ghost New Member

You know how much I love my car. So ok...maybe once in a while.;)

22. 9blackmax6

ok so I went out and test drove the car today.. It has 138 on the timer and some body damage and to be honest I'm about cleanliness in cars and not about JUST if they run good. I'll keep it short and swwe because typing on the itouch is ftl.. Any ways the car was already warmed up when I got to it because supposibly someone test drove of before me and there was no leaks that were noticeable except for this one leak coming from a return hose??? Going to the oil filter. I don't have that on my car so I couldnt identify it anyone know whatit may be? Secondly when I started the car I and my GF noticed thatthe engine was very very shaky upon start up but I'm assuming that is from the soft usdm engine mounts. There was also a CEL butthe car ran and ideals fine which leads me to beleive it was an o2 sensor. Drivingthe car the engine had no boost leaks or spike and seemed very sound for its mileage. I payed close attention to the tranny andthere was no grinding ofthe gears except for a littlebit going from netural to first. The timing belt needs replacing and so does the cutch although I didn't notice any slippage of the clutch. Sorry to cutoff in the middle of. The story but anyone have any thoughts or questions of additional information? Oh yea and it has new spark plugs too

23. aspiringRexer

aspiringRexer Member

the catalytic convertor starts to go at high milage. The comb starts to go and takes the turbo with it. A new uppipe alleviates this.

24. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

My car shakes more with the Group N motor mounts. Also how fast were you going trying to put it in first? I can't unless I'm going like 5mph or less.

25. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

Agreed X kabillion

Oil changed every 2700-3000 miles. Checked every other gas fill. Burns less than a 1/2 quart every oil change.

My 2.0l block has 125K on it. It was flashed from stock to stage 2 at 58K. Since then it's been pushing a 16g hitting 21+psi for almost 30K miles. No issues here.

Look at my avatar picture, that was a few weeks ago. :)

26. 9blackmax6

I think actually 1 time I was stopped and it grinded and the other time I was going probably <5 mph

27. TSTRBOY2004

^^ common on bugeyes and I would say pretty much any subaru... my 03 I could go to first at about 20 rolling stop... but every now and then it would grind...

28. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Well-Known Member

What CEL?

Leaks in the engine bay, a CEL, minor body damage, gear grind. Not sure I would purchase this car unless you could get it very cheap. Oh yeah, and check out that CEL for sure before purchasing.