18" Wheels on MY06?

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by WRXEcho, Sep 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WRXEcho

WRXEcho Well-Known Member

Since the new WRX's will have 17's from the factory, did they make a little more room for 18's to be put on? Or is there still issues of rubbing and clearance with 18's?

2. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

i'm not sure but my guess would be that yes you will rub. but probably only around corners..

3. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

I'm guessing with a shorter tire you wont rub, but once you add springs/coilovers you will rub like a madman. Nothing a fender rolling can't fix. I don't think they changed anything to fit the 17's though, they just needed the 17's so they could fit the nice new 4pots that come with wrxs now.

4. WRXEcho

4 pots in front and 2 in the back. A very welcomed improvement. :) I'm excited to test drive and hopefully own the MY06. Then I can raise my baby the way she should be ;) Adopting the 02 was just an eye opener. Plus, I really want a manual. I just can't find it in me to mod up my 02 with it being a 4eat. Waiting...it's the hardest part.

5. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Yes, not to mention TORQUE! mmmmm

6. WRXEcho

Finally again! I hate it when minivans think they're gonna take ya. I gotta get my fred flinstone legs out before I start spoolin up :-/

7. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Since when can't you put 18s on a WRX? I've had 18s for nearly 2 years now with no issues.

8. Speedemon

Speedemon Well-Known Member

+1 and are cars are very low

9. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

you can put 18s on but stock suspension is to soft.. atleast on my rs and i had to take the 18's off

10. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Hmm I heard some people rub with 18's, maybe I'm just mental, or they were using a horrible offset.

11. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

When I bought my wheels, I had stock suspension, no rubbing issues what so ever...

18x7.5 +40 w/ 225 40 18 tires. And now with the coilovers, the only time I have ever rubbed was coming down a steep incline into a 90 degree small radius turn...I rubbed a little, but probably would have anyway with stockers.

12. WRXEcho

17's or 18's?

I thought that wrx's had rubbing issues with 18's, and that the ideal wheel was a 17. Is it recommended to use the 17's or 18's for performance reasons? I got the stock 16's on my 02, but when I finally upgrade to the MY06, I wanna have certain things picked out, and an extra set of rims and tires for high performance is one of them. :)

13. Mar48

Mar48 Well-Known Member

18x7.5 here with 225-40-18 tires and no prooblems here, but I only have Eibach springs.

14. 1fastwagon

1fastwagon New Member

supposedly the wagon has a narrower rear wheel well and has a hard time with 18's...

15. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

In reality, you can run 19-20's. They are going to have the same outside diameter once you put the tires on. You will have more rubbing issues with the width of the tire before the height.

Russ

16. k_thaosta

k_thaosta Well-Known Member

18's with 225-40-18 tires setup and JDM STI suspension and springs on an 02... no problems, just a little stiff on slow turns like getting out of the driveway, no rubbing either

17. tbone

tbone Well-Known Member

You can ask Nathan, he got 19 's on his dub

18. fino22

fino22 New Member

I got 18x7.5 225/40/18 on stock suspension...no rub yet.

19. WRXEcho

I guess that pretty much sums it up. I do think that the wagon is different in the rear wheel well. Oh well...now i gotta click over to tirerack and check on some 18's ;)

20. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

What wheels are you planning on running?

21. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

I have 19's.... so you can do what you want.. in Australia they run 20's...

22. Chin

Chin Well-Known Member

It is the tire width, more than the rim diameter, as has been pointed out already....Think about it...many that run 18s went with a lower profile tire to accomodate the larger diameter. The idea is to have the same rolling diameter (or as close as possible) as the oirignal tire....so the variable of rubbing is due to the width, not the diameter. (Hope that wasn't too hard to follow)

I have read that wagons are tighter than the sedan in back. Most people step up from the stock WRX width and that is when they have problems. Who wants such a narrow tire on an 18?

With all that being said, it looks like the consensus is that 225/40-18 will fit on a sedan, anything wider or higher profile is unknown right now....

As for your question on what size wheel is better....18s are for looks only. You get equal or better performance from 17s.

23. WRXEcho

I really like the speed star sp1's. Those things just look evil. But, the ones on tirerack are 18x8, so it could be pushin it. Plus the offset is +49. Not sure if that would work either. The 06's stock are 17x7. If the wagon is tighter in the back, not sure if that would work with 18x8's.

24. austinpike

austinpike Well-Known Member

what he said. If you run 20's with rubber bands you'll have the same overall diameter so it doesn't matter.

tire size calculator:
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

so if you start with a 225/45/17 and go to a 225/40/18 you end up at basically the same diameter. But generally the point w/bigger wheels is to go wider as well, so that is what will make you rub, as everyone mentioned.

Really there is no significant performance advantage to using anything bigger than you need to clear your brakes, you'll just end up spending more $ on tires. Lower profile tire may give you a little less sidewall flex, but that varies a ton just depending on the tire anyway. Meanwhile bigger wheel = more metal = more unsprung weight = slow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.