1982 Honda cb750

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by thomas franz, Sep 8, 2017.

1. thomas franz

thomas franz Well-Known Member

I just acquired a 82 cb750. I never thought I would own a cafe racer but I got one hell of a deal. I got it because it was free from a family friend. Long story short, a friend bought it 6 years ago got laid off then moved back to chicago but left the bike here as it needed work. He told me it needs a new front tire and that it revs when turning right (throttle cable binding somewhere). To me this seems too good to be true but we shall see how it goes. I also have no key or title so it will be an interesting journey to get it on the road. I figure I shouldn't have problems getting it registered because people find barn bikes all the time. Sounds like getting a key made will be the biggest pain as I need to bring the bike or ignition to a locksmith. I have no idea where to begin as far as parts/registering/key's go. Obviously I need to get a key made first. I'm hoping some people on here are familiar with bikes and can point me in the right direction. All thoughts and advice are welcome. I'll have pictures up this weekend to track my progress.

2. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I would think a mobile locksmith coming to the bike would be the easiest. Sure, there would be a trip charge, but it might be worth the time saved by not having to remove the lock cylinder when you don't know how.

3. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

I usually use Quality Locksmith in Oakdale for rekeying cars, I think their number is 651-777-2053. They will come to you and their prices are pretty reasonable. Another option would be just getting a new cylinder and key, which might not be all that expensive.

4. thomas franz

thomas franz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice guys. This bike is 100% a project haha. I'm hoping to get much farther with it this weekend. It is actually a 1981 cb750k. I have a more in depth thread I will be updating more frequently over on some cb750 forums.

Here is the link if anyone is interested in seeing the bull **** required to get this bike going. http://www.cb750c.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=370185#370185