1998 Forester Alarm/Valet Mode?

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by WRXCarl, Feb 16, 2011.

1. WRXCarl

WRXCarl Well-Known Member

Just another Newb question
    My friend Ross (who's to lazy to make an account) recently took his car in for some service (i don't know specifics but can ask him in you think it would help) and when he got his car back whenever the car is off the red button/light shown below blinks but it does nothing when the car is on. I've been looking online and seen similar problems (such as alarm and valet mode) I thought valet mode but when you press it it does absolutely nothing... Suggestion? thoughts? Criticism?

View attachment 24174
    (refers to left most button)

1: What is this button
    2: Why is it blinking only when car is off
    3: ????
    4: Profit

Tell Me if you need more info and I'll see what I can do.

2. phi11

phi11 Well-Known Member

all I know Is
    1: it's not a button!

3. WRXCarl

Well I thought It was by what I've read online and it presses like one ...

4. Back Road Runner

Back Road Runner Well-Known Member

It's not a stock product as far as I'm aware. An alarm system hasn't been a stock item on Subarus. I have no clue what the button actually does. I would look under the dash and see if I can trace down the wires. It could be something as simple as an ABS delete wired to the fuse box. For some Subarus, that spot is where an intercooler sprayer button would go, but your Forester ain't turbo. :p The non-turbos don't even support a valet mode.

It's an aftermarket item, so you need to play detective and figure out what it's for.

5. WRXCarl

Well it has a Subaru genuine alarm system sticker in the rear driver and pass. windows although u can put a v-tech sticker on it as well it won't mean anything.

6. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

Looks like an indicator light for an aftermarket alarm (armed/disarmed). But, as mentioned, it could be anything. Definitely trace the wires. Start by popping the coin tray out and go from there.

7. Back Road Runner

Back Road Runner Well-Known Member

Well it could be an oem alarm, but it'd be the first I've seen or heard about. Subaru hasn't really been big on the whole alarm thing from a oem point of view. Maybe in the late 90s alarms where a selling point though. I don't know.

8. WRXCarl

Well my friend Ross bought it used and he didn't get a key fob with it so there's no simple press a panic Button and find out. although he's buying one so well see. it has a few other more important problems than a little blinking light right now now (unless red light means its going to blow up :))will update as we find out more