2000 Silverado 4WD not engaging

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by minnesotanice, May 24, 2017.

1. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 that I use for winter driving and hauling various things. It came to my attention this past weekend that the front wheels do not spin when my 4WD is engaged. When switching from 2 Hi to 4 Hi and 4 Low, I can hear things shifting around and locking into place, but when getting on the gas, the front wheels don't spin. From my light research and my minor knowledge I think it is an issue with transfer box. Someone else also suggested it might be something sheared and the crankshaft might not be spinning. I haven't had a chance to really look at it, but even then I don't really know what I would be looking for. Thoughts on what it might be?

2. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

I fixed the 4wd on my 92, but unfortunately I'm assuming it's quite different from a 2000 so I'm probably no help to you. The older ones have an actuator in the front axle (very easy to fix). Anything like that on yours?

Nhibbs likes this.
  3. minnesotanice

No clue. Haven't had the time to look at it yet. Will get around to it in a week or two. Luckily I don't need it as a daily or much for these next couple weeks.

4. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

Is your service 4WD light on? I had a solenoid go out in my 2000 Z71.

5. minnesotanice

Nope. That's why I'm so confused. I wonder if gear is busted, something is sheared, or something else odd.

6. minnesotanice

I have the push button thing for switching between the modes and I hear that can be faulty sometimes, but it seems like its engaging so I don't thing its that.

7. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Public library...
    All Data...
    Trouble shooting tree...
    Print needed pages...

CarpalTomO likes this.
  8. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I dunno about a Silverado but I had problems with my old 2001 GMC Sonoma 4x4. On that truck everything was actuated by vacuum which was a huge pain in the ass. Is that the same with the Silverado?
    On mine the front axle actuator is a big balloon thing with a spring inside connected to a cable and when it got vacuum it would collapse and pull the cable to engage the front axle. That rubber rips really easy but was easy to replace.
    Also there was another separate vacuum actuator on the transfer case to engage that. If either of them were not working the front wheels wouldnt spin. I never got any lights or errors either.

The manual transfer case lever/front axle locks on my old Tacoma was waaaaayy better. Stupid vacuum bull****.

minnesotanice and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  9. Krazylegz1485

Right? My 92 had a thermo activated actuator, meaning it was basically like a boner that grew when heated up with a 12v current. Obviously that's kind of a hindrance in a cold climate. Thing would take forever to extend and actually engage.

Apparently in 95 they changed to like a solenoid style one that was either in or out as soon as you apply power. Nice thing is the housing is pretty much the same so you can put them into the older front axles with the help of a simple wiring harness. That's what I did and haven't had a problem since.

10. minnesotanice

The actuator will definitely be the first thing I check for sure. I'll update when I take a look next week.

11. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

LOL. If you ever change careers, you need to be a service writer. I'd love to hear you tell that to a customer and keep a straight face.

12. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Doesn't everyone's boner grow when attached to a 12V current?

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  13. minnesotanice

Guys, we get it, you got more resistive dongs, you can quit bragging. Most of us grow with a 1.5 volt...

14. Krazylegz1485

Gonna see if the wife can show me her Ohm face tonight.

Nhibbs likes this.
  15. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Hook a car battery up to her and she will.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  16. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

I grow when the wind blows.

tangledupinblu likes this.