2001 RS (Re)Build

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by Leviathan, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

Hello all! I bought Colin's '01 RS last week and I've been speculating on what I'll actually have to do to get it back on the road in the manner in which I'm comfortable. Since the car was initial built more as race car than a road car it's pretty sparse. The wiring is mostly SVX and unnecessary items for a race car have been deleted.

The first item on the list is to find a RS wiring harness and redo the SVX swap to retain all the RS wiring. After that undertaking I need to source and install an interior. Also the exhaust needs to be built and suspension/driveline gone over.

I really haven't had much time to look at it as time off for me has been few and far between, but I'll try and keep you guys updated as much as possible.

2. Jerf

Jerf Well-Known Member

3. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

Thanks. I've been in contact with this guy for a couple days already. I'm worried that since a lot of it has been pulled out it may broken or I may not get all the pieces I need.

4. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

Here's a couple pictures:
    On the way back, complete with zip ties
    [​IMG]
    The 3.3L in all it's glory.
    [​IMG]
    Interior:
    [​IMG]
    Wiring:
    [​IMG]
    The RS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After a little grounding the car does turn over. It doesn't sound like the fuel pump is priming. Once I get it into the garage I'll start tracking these issues.

5. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

6. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Here's the pic I took when he got back in town:
    [​IMG]

7. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

8. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I currently have Sheen's old RSVX build. It is laso a racecar, so everything has been ripped out and she's pretty naked. I do probably have some parts laying around. I also have almost everything needed for a WRX dash swap if you are interested in that.

Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress!
    -Josh

9. Grayguy

Grayguy Well-Known Member

That white RS has a complete interior, but none of it is very great. That's my wife's old car.

10. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

I did a little looking and it seems like there's significant work to install the WRX interior. At this point I'm more concerned with getting it running properly and back on the road.

11. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

That's what Chux told me. However there's not much for other options out there and the snow is coming. :/

12. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

I guess while I'm waiting on the reply about the RS interior I'll ponder the brake situation. Right now there's no lines from the master cylinder to the rest of the car. There's an aftermarket proportioning valve and a hydraulic ebrake. I don't know how keen I am about mounting an adjustable proportioning valve inside the car, that being said I'm all about using the hydraulic ebrake. My idea is to omit the factory ABS equipment. No ABS module, no sensors, no wires, no lines. It'll save a little much needed weight over the front axle and make for a little better brake feel. I've never ran a complete set of brake lines master to the brake hoses before. Is there a bender that works any better than any others? Does anyone have any tips? Has anyone used that NiCopp Nickel Copper alloy brake line? It's very pliable compared to steel and will not rust.

13. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

I also bought this gem... turns out the girlfriend wanted me not to have it more than I wanted it.

[​IMG]

Got the car into the garage:

[​IMG]

Started pulling the front end off to access the driver's fender for the wiring.

[​IMG]

Done.

[​IMG]

Then it was time to figure out what was going on inside the car.

[​IMG]

A little sorting, wiring stripping and vacuuming and it was good as new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pile of fun stuff!

[​IMG]

Pedal assembly installed! It was a brand new assembly, but for some reason one of the studs as snapped off and needed to be pounded out.

[​IMG]

My possible proportioning valve before I looked closer at my master cylinder.

[​IMG]

The NIB clutch master cylinder installed. Also had new clutch line and hose mounting bracket.

[​IMG]

Got one brake line plumbed thanks to Chux. My flaring skills aren't exactly up to par.

PRA4SNO likes this.
  14. DirtyLeg01

DirtyLeg01 Member

Can't wait to see this car complete! awesome project

15. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

Thanks. I think it will be pretty awesome too. I have a line on another entire car to use for the wiring and interior.

16. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

Saw this the other day. Pretty cool I thought.

[​IMG]

Here's my interior from my parts car... some progress there.

[​IMG]

Got my shift bushings as well.

[​IMG]

Ctracey218 likes this.
  17. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

Spent a little time working on the car today. I still need to plumb the brake lines, but I don't have vehicle right now to get the tool. Doh!

Touched up the paint in the engine bay... Ran the wiring for the rear of the car. Put the rear speakers and cover in. Got some of the carpet in the rear. Starting to run the wiring thanks to Chux.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Avalanche of parts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

We've been working on this a bit over the last week or so. Most of the dash is in. Made the first real attempt to start it last night....pretty sure the fuel pump is dead. Power and ground tested good at the connector under the back seat.

Hopefully the snow will hang out long enough to get this thing out to play.

AWDimprezaL, phi11 and tangledupinblu like this.
  19. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

[​IMG]
    Stuff done.

Chux likes this.
  20. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

Just picked up a Walbro 255 in Mankato. Lets see if I can coax some life out of this car tonight!

21. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

New pump and it lives!

This one was sitting with low fuel for quite some time!

[​IMG]

22. tangledupinblu

SWEET!!!!! Congrats!

Leviathan likes this.
  23. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

[​IMG]

Got a little more done! Radio, upper center console, trunk cable, radio, hvac, trim ring...

[​IMG]

Got to 250,000 in my TDI!

24. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

The booster hose is going to need the check-valve, otherwise you're going to **** your pants the first time you drive it.

25. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

That's from the previous owner. I intend on swapping out all the Fast and Furious orange lines.

26. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Good progress! Any plans for the motor, or is it still in solid shape?

27. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

Just leaving it stock for now. It sounds healthy for the few seconds I've run it. I live in a town house and it's open manifolds.

28. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

Got a few miscellaneous pieces for it yesterday from the junkyard. Attached the wiper arms, got a grommet on the heater core line, finally sealed up the trunk, and mounted the ignitor. With any luck today I'll finish the cooling system and maybe even plumb the remaining brakes.

29. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

Holy crap. There's most of a front end on it!

[​IMG]\

I finally got an EJ mount and PS pump, however the that puts the alternator and power steering on different belts. My question is how do I line them up on a common belt? Do I need an EJ alternator bracket? Will that even work on an EG?

[​IMG]

30. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

Anyone?

31. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

It ran and drove today!! I drove it, and he drove it. Not very far, still no cooling system and only one gear, but brakes and clutch work just fine.

Grayguy likes this.
  32. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

Yep. Chux drove the car before me. Should be a really fun car. Sounds almost too good with an open exhaust. Not really sure how my neighbors felt about it.

33. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

Drove it halfway around the block yesterday. The gearing in that transmission is matched great to that motor. I can't wait to get the rest of the interior back together and the front end painted!

34. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

Didn't get any help from anyone online about the power steering issue. No surprise I guess. Luckily chux had a good idea: try an older GC Impreza pressure line on the SVX pump. It worked. I FINALLY have a working set of accessories. I got the passenger side fender liner installed with the rally armor flap. I mounted the ignitor. Figured out the intake tubing. I found that the driver's side sunroof drain tube is missing the last few inches. I'll splice that in. I'm missing the speed nut that holds the mudflap on so I need to put the driver's side fender liner on hold until I get those pieces. I'm still looking for RS door panels AND power window regulators. Next comes the headlights and bumper cover. I don't have any fog lights, but I've heard that Hella 500's work pretty well. How do you go about mounting them? Sounds like I'll be running relays to power them. Then it's on to finish the exhaust and paint! I'm excited.

35. CarpalTomO

CarpalTomO Well-Known Member

I know some people have used the KartBoy fog light adapters to fit the Hellas into teh OEM fog light recess. They're $40 though, so I just made my own after I saw what they look like.

36. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Sorry, I can't help much with with older chassis's, but it's very cool to see that the build is progressing! Looking forward to more pics and vids.

37. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

I got it on the road yesterday. I'm having issues with the engine 'over heating' the gauge says its getting warm, but the radiator is cold as is the plenum.

Almost time for paint.

[​IMG]

It' s tight fit.

[​IMG]

38. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Check your thermostat? If you replace it I recommend you use an OEM one, I've had bad luck with the cheap parts store ones.

39. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

There was an OEM one in it. I already swapped one for the parts store. I guess I could get a new OEM one.

40. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Spotted today
    [​IMG]

41. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

Yep. There she be. I dropped it off Monday. They had to order parts (aka O2 bungs) for Tuesday. Here it is Wednesday. They expect it'll be done Thursday. Rough stuff making an exhaust. Hopefully it's up to snuff. Their work on the Scirocco was pretty good.

42. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

Also they hassled me about buying a cat from them for a few minutes. I had to explain that they just did the exhaust in the scirocco without one. I ended up telling them its a race car of sorts. I guess that's what they wanted to hear.

43. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

I've been driving the car short distances, but it seems like it keeps wanting to get hot. The radiator fan doesn't kick on even though it has passed the halfway point. However, if I unplug the sensor the fan will turn on immediately. I'm not sure if it's a problem with my gauge sensor or my temp sensor for the ecu. Any tricks other than physically verifying the temperature?

44. tangledupinblu

Sheen wired up a toggle switch and ran it direct to the fans on mine. Anytime it runs on the warm side i just turn it on manually. ;) Glad to see the progress has come a long ways, good job!

45. Leviathan

Leviathan Member

That's plan B. hopefully I won't have to do that. I just used my infrared temp sensor I got 90* at the radiator. And about 150* at its hottest point. The ECT sensor showed 145* as well by the infrared. So really it's doing pretty well.