2002 Impreza OBS, 5spd, 92.5k, Rod knock

Discussion in 'FS: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats' started by abrownmn, Oct 14, 2020.

1. abrownmn

abrownmn Active Member

$2000 OBO

I'll start with the basic details/history of the car and then describe the issue it has currently.

I bought this car about 4 years ago with 50k on it and a fully rebuilt motor. The rebuild was done by the dealership who sold it to me and I have the receipts for the parts/labor in the car. The story was basically that a kid who owned it before me bought it new and then eventually slapped a ****ty turbo kit on there (improperly) and blew it up. So, they had it on their lot for some time after buying it from the kid and never got around to the rebuild. Then, they finally did it and I bought it from them a few days later.

The car has been a great runner until recently, and beyond normal Subaru maintenance stuff like wheel bearings, hubs, valve cover, plugs and the standard brakes, tires, etc.. it hasn't needed any major repairs. It has always leaked a bit of oil from the oil pan(3/4 qt every oil change or so) but I kept it topped off regularly and changed the oil every 3000 miles religiously. The body/paint is a bit far from perfect with some dings etc.., but nothing unexpected for the cars age. No rust whatsoever. Interior is in great shape, no smoke or weird smells and it will come with the weather tech mats that I've had in there since right after I bought it. Wheels are Sparco's. They came with a brand new set of tires worth more than the asking price of the wheel/tire combo at the time so the color is just a symptom of a really good Craigslist deal. Normally not my style, but they look alright I guess and the wheels are quality built. Overall, it's a really great starter car and with the right person to fix it up it can be a really reliable vehicle for a long time still.

Onto the issue, so I was driving it home the other day and it drove perfectly as it usually does until I was about a mile away from home, stopped at a left turn light. When I went to turn, I heard an unusually loud clacking/tapping sound from the front of the car. Well beyond the usual Subaru piston slap. Limped home and it ran fine, but sounded really rough, especially at lower RPM and much better at higher RPM. I parked it in the garage and haven't drove it since. Went and got a new truck so it's still sitting there. I am not sure what is wrong with it exactly, but it sounds like rod knock so I don't want to drive it and risk more damage. It will drive a short distance just fine, but I'd recommend towing it. If you would like a video of the sound or just want to come take a look for yourself just let me know. Obviously miles will not be going up.

Would like to sell and just get it out of here ASAP so make an offer. Otherwise, I'll probably part out what I can and junk the rest.

Never really sold a car that needs major work like this so don't crucify me if the price is way off. I just tried to estimate what a swap would be for the DIY'er vs the value of the car with it done and started there.

Thanks for checking it out.

Attached Files:

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  2. abrownmn

abrownmn Active Member

Posted before I could add other pics

Attached Files:

3. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Holy low miles. And it's black... and a bugeye... And a wagon.

Got my attention.

Where are you located?

silver03 likes this.
  4. abrownmn

abrownmn Active Member

Yeah, she's a gem..it's too bad I don't have the time or patience right now to do a swap.

I'm in Spring Lake Park

5. abrownmn

abrownmn Active Member

Bump. Some interest still, no one has taken it away yet.

6. abrownmn

abrownmn Active Member

$1500 OBO, come get it out of here :)