2003 subaru forester eats transmission oil

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by lepa71, Aug 11, 2011.

1. lepa71

lepa71 Well-Known Member

Hi all

I hope you can help with this mystery. My dad has 2003 Subaru Forester that eats transmission oil. He was changing regular oil and mechanic checked trans oil. It was really low so he added some. A week latter my dad checked it again and it's low(really low) again. There is nothing under the car.

Does anybody have an idea?

Thanks

2. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

Possible leak?

3. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Possible leak only while driving? Or turning a certain direction? Try driving in a circle with someone laying down and watching for any fluid leaking

4. lepa71

lepa71 Well-Known Member

How is that possible?

5. kickin_81

kickin_81 Well-Known Member

Your dad have an automatic tranny? Did a quick google search. Maybe this article can help: http://www.aa1car.com/library/2002/bf90222.htm

Fluid can leak out of the driveshaft seals, the input shaft seal, the transmission pan gasket, the torque converter or the ATF cooler and line connections. If the fluid level gets low, the transmission may be slow to engage when it is shifted into drive. Gear shifts may be sloppy or delayed, or the transmission may slip between shifts. If the fluid level is really low, the transmission may cause the vehicle to not go at all.
    If the dipstick reads low, the transmission is probably leaking. So look underneath to see where the fluid is going. If there are no visible leaks, check the radiator for ATF in the coolant. The ATF cooler inside the radiator may be leaking and cross-contaminating the fluids.

6. lepa71

lepa71 Well-Known Member

Ok. Now it's getting over my head. Does any body have a shop in mind on St.Paul side that knows Subaru? I have been told on SubaruForester.org that Minnetonka subaru has pretty good techs, but quite a bit for my dad to drive.

Thanks

7. driftin240

driftin240 Well-Known Member

If in fact, the fluid was really low, then it's leaking out somewhere. Either into the front differential fluid, the coolant, or on the ground. Most likely case, transmission cooler lines, or transmission harness o-ring. Both would leak externally.

Now assuming the person who checked it, knows that the vehicle must be running with the transmission in park... and the fluid at least somewhat warm... should also know that fluid cannot dissappear. The only fluid known to do that is coolant, and that's becuase it's half water and Subaru doesn't use a sealed system.

8. lepa71

lepa71 Well-Known Member

Can I bring it to Minnetonka subaru to check it out? How much would it cost to check it out?

9. Mr.Tran

Mr.Tran Well-Known Member

Couldn't say off hand but you can call, also make sure to mention your a MNSubaru member for discount.

10. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

Correct, the car HAS TO BE RUNNING to check the level of an AT.

11. lepa71

lepa71 Well-Known Member

Yes, it was running. I asked my dad to check antifreeze to see if it's not leaking into it. It looked fine.

I will probably just take it to Minnetonka subaru unless somebody can recommend a shop closer to highland park in st.paul.

Thanks guys