2004 Forester XT

Discussion in 'FS: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats' started by Everett, Mar 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Everett

Everett Member

Cheapest Forester XT with a manual transmission in the US!

$7,500 obo

Modifications:
    STI ECU
    VF39
    STI Top Mount IC
    Catless 3" Turbo Back with SPT muffler
    Cold air intake
    Tuned at 280 WHP
    Big scoop
    Short Shifter
    Mishimoto Radiator
    Compustar Remote Start
    Tires with 9/32 tread
    WRX Suspension
    Pioneer DVD touch screen head unit
    Under seat sub (aftermarket)
    Sound Deadened in the trunk
    Hitch
    Tint

Car was purchased from MNSubaru member scotty a couple months ago and needed some engine work. Recently had heads professionally rebuilt due to a bad valve. Has new head gaskets, all other seals and gaskets are new too. New timing belt and water pump. New Exedy OE clutch.

Small surface rust on right side quarter panel.

Car is not in absolute mint condition aesthetically but mechanically is perfect.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2018
  2. Everett

Everett Member

I suppose a price would help eh?

$7500

3. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

$5500 profit and didn't touch body work?

4. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

Is this the Forester that was posted on CL a while back for dirt ass cheap?

Aegis and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  5. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

Ntxhuav_Khang and Krazylegz1485 like this.
  6. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

minnesotanice likes this.
  7. minnesotanice

minnesotanice Well-Known Member

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  8. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

raw.gif raw.gif

ScoobySnack, Mitchum, MrBlue and 2 others like this.
  9. Everett

Everett Member

Ok gentlemen, here’s the deal.

I spent $1500 on the car. I repaired the engine and it runs perfect. I repaired the driver door and fender, and looks great. Put newer tires on it, now it gets traction. $1500 on the car and $2500 on repairs. That makes it $3500 profit, and I don’t work for free. Not my fault you guys didn’t jump on this when it was for sale. The going rate for these cars is $9,000, that’s why I have it listed as “the cheapest in the US”. I get that the price is a little steep but I gotta start somewhere. I could definitely spend another $2,000 on more body work and sell it for that $9,000 but it would be the same or less profit on my end.

I really dislike posting anything for sale on this forum because everybody just ridicules you for the price, or wanting more money because it’s modded, or some other ludicrous reason. If you’re interested in the car but think it’s priced too high them PM me a legit offer and I’ll give it some consideration.

ScoobySnack, pcwerk, jubella2 and 2 others like this.
  10. Everett

Everett Member

Here’s what the driver side looked like before and now.

Attached Files:

11. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

I think it's more about the community here being pretty tight-knit and appreciating full disclosure and honesty. I don't see this as ridiculing. I see it as members here taking care of each other and keeping people from getting taken on a deal. I've seen lots of evidence to that fact over my decade plus here. It's one of the reasons why I appreciate this forum.

If you find fault in that, then perhaps this is not the place for you to sell things. I would have thought you would have learned that from your Nintendo Switch thread.

That said, I'm sure you'll have no trouble selling this given the desirability. But I'd say the chances of you selling it to a member here at this point are low.

pcwerk, Aegis and idget like this.
  12. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Nhibbs and minnesotanice like this.
  13. Everett

Everett Member

So let me ask you guys a question. If you had a car that you had $4,000 into it, what would you guys post it for?

I’m not trying to scam anyone, that’s not my style. I just know he value of what people are willing to pay. I’m a businessman which means I’m not gonna just give stuff away at no profit. I’d love to sell this to someone that will appreciate it, like a MNSubaru member but if you guys want none of it then I’ll stop posting items for sale.

14. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I hear ya. I’m sure that asking $6k for my WRX has some people dumbfounded. But to me, it’s easily worth $6k, even with the body issues.

Also, the repairs look good to me!

Everett likes this.
  15. silver03

silver03 Well-Known Member

If it weren’t for the ability to profit, where would we all be? Degree of “acceptable” margin is and always will be subjective. In the end, as always, the market will decide. This is not like jacking up the price of bottled water during a hurricane. No has to have this car, someone will merely want it...or not. If someone on this forum thinks it’s worth the asking price, let them buy it. Thank you -Rick

Everett and MrBlue like this.
  16. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

The price you were able to obtain a car in disrepair has nothing to do with the market value as it sits now. Good for you for jumping on an opportunity, completing the repairs and "time" is worth $$$$ GLWS

Silky21L, pcwerk, readymix and 3 others like this.
  17. Everett

Everett Member

Thanks for the positive commets from the last few people. If anyone is interested in buying this sweet Fozzy but think the price is too high then feel free to pm me with an offer.

silver03 and MrBlue like this.
  18. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I also have the same Pioneer HU in my WRX and love it! Added your asking price to your first post...GLWS

19. Mitchum

Mitchum Well-Known Member

20. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I would probably sell it for market value on NADA, adjusted for condition.

Here is NADA pricing for a Forester XT manual with 166,000 miles on the clock. As a private seller, you can probably ask somewhere between "Clean Trade In" and "Clean Retail." You likely won't get full clean retail because it is rusting on the quarter panel. But you could probably scam some schmuck on Craigslist into paying clean retail for it if you keep bloviating on about maintenance and repair costs that you assume impart some sort of value to the car.

Screenshot_20180305-214756.png

Jwhy likes this.
  21. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Also, I'm sure you're about to martyr yourself about being an honest business man, or whatever. But before you nail yourself up on that cross, let me enlighten you a little.

If your business is selling cars, you should probably be sure to understand how market pricing guides work, and understand that repairs and maintenance are the cost of ownership of a vehicle. If you go wreck your car, you don't get to tack the cost of repairs on it when you sell it off. Those costs are the requirements of maintaining a functional vehicle.

Also, here's another business pointer: Find out what clean market value is for the ****box you're trying to fix-and-flip, then figure out the cost of repairs to put it back to clean market condition. If the cost to repair plus cost of the car is greater than the clean market value, you're not going to make a profit. I know that sounds like simple common sense....but you paid 1500 for a car and put 2500 into a car that will likely sell for around 4500. Expecting 7500 for a car worth 4500 isn't realistic. Plus, once you factor in that this was a junkbox repair job, trying to sell it on a close knit enthusiast forum that is aware of the car's history makes you look like a scumbag scam artist.

pcwerk, pillboy, sneefy and 3 others like this.
  22. housemusic1

housemusic1 Well-Known Member

Damn @readymix, after reading your last post....
    20105854_21_285_216.gif

23. jmyhre05

jmyhre05 Well-Known Member

The value of a car is what someone is willing to pay. Nada and KBB are not accurate in MN. This car is worth much more then 4500 and he will not have a problem making a profit off his labor. When it was for sale for $1500 that car was worth $2500. I would have purchased it but do not have time to fix and sell cars anymore. I even sent it to my employees for anybody looking for a new daily.

I love you guys and love the humor here... But he will get good value for this car. Won't be here because it's history here but Craigslist or Facebook will fetch money in a couple weeks as the snow thaws.

ScoobySnack, pleiades, MrBlue and 4 others like this.
  24. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

This right here. If everyone went off market values then how is it that people sell 05 OBXT and LGT's all the time with nearly 100k miles for 8-10k? Foresters are worth even more then the previous mentioned models.

That said you did not do yourself any favors with your switch thread you had a year back or so and alot of people around here as mentioned are a tight nit group. What they see is you coming in with that thread and trying to make a killing off that switch and they are not soon to forget that thread. Couple that with the fact that literally 90% of your posts here are to sell things and that does not settle well with people. If you are serious about helping repair your reputation on this forum it would go a long way to get to know alot of these people that are bringing up legitimate concerns with your for sale threads, even if a handful of people on here go about bringing up their concerns in a somewhat hostile way.

sneefy and Nhibbs like this.
  25. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Then don't post on here. Or pay for a vendor spot because it seems like all you do is sell **** on here.

GTFOH

26. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

OP - stick around and grow a thick skin. Internet is serious business.

BroCo likes this.
  27. Everett

Everett Member

The guys that keep bring up my Nintendo Switch post are right, in a sense. I’m getting a bad reputation on here, and I don’t like it. The Switch is really the only item that I’ve posted for sale on here that’s wildly overpriced (although someone did pay me $500 for it). For MNSubaru members I’ll drop the price all the way down to $6,000. I’ll even throw in some snow tires for next season. It’s still over the ALL POWERFULL KBB and NADA but we all know that the value of Subaru’s are inflated in our neck of the woods, as previously stated. But 6k is a great price for this car. You could probably even turn right around and flip it for profit if you really wanted to. Just not on here apparently.

And btw, I don’t have thick skin. I’m sensitive, so please be gentle.

ScoobySnack, sneefy, retreif and 2 others like this.
  28. JasonoJordan

Your going to have a hard time around here then because weather it be love or jokes they only come in one form....hard.

29. JasonoJordan

errrr should I say rough...

30. Everett

Everett Member

Sold! Lock it up. Or down. Or whatever.

silver03 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.