2004 WRX - STX Autocross Prepped

Discussion in 'FS: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats' started by Shane86, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shane86

Shane86 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone... after some long running internal debate, i think it's time to part ways with the WRX.
    She's a hell of a fun car, but after spending a season in RWD vehicles, i think that I've learned too many bad habits driving AWD to really get myself driving faster.
    And between all the autocross events, and efforts to have a social life, i've just been too busy to give it the attention it deserves.

The car is quite well setup for STX, and i do believe it could trophy at nats... next year (once that e85 allowance goes away)... as it sits.

Drivetrain
    STI Short Throw Shifter
    Gutted Stock Up-pipe
    Custom openECU reflash
    Bosal Divorced Wastegate Downpipe
    Blitz Nur-Spec R Catback Exhaust
    APS 65mm Cold Air Intake
    BoostFactory! Custom 3" High Flow 3rd Cat

Suspension
    ZZyZX Motorsports EM-Series Coilovers (Koni 8611 DAs)
    Ground Control Camber/Caster plates
    Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar
    Whiteline HD Rear Endlinks
    Whiteline 24mm Rear Sway Bar
    Whiteline HD Front Endlinks
    Whiteline Adjustable Rear Lateral Links
    Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
    Hypercoil 700lb/in Rear Springs
    Hypercoil 575lb/in Front Springs

Brakes
    Hawk HP+ brake pads (new front pads in a box)
    Brake Man Stainless Steel Braided Lines

Wheels
    17"x8" Enkei RPF1 Wheels (15.5 Lbs Per)
    245/40-17 Dunlop Drizzera D1 Star Specs

Exterior
    Blacked out Headlights
    Debadged Grill
    Debadged Trunk

Interior
    Schroth Rallye-4 Harness
    TurboXS KnockLite

Stereo
    Apline MP3/CD Head Unit
    Harmon Kardon Drive/Play iPod Interface
    Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.5" Component Speakers
    Infinity Kappa 4" Speakers

It'll come with all the stock parts i have, which includes all four struts completely loaded, sway bars, and intake. I may still have the cat back exhaust but it won't fit in the current configuration, and parts of the original downpipe were sacrificed to the custom welding gods to make the high flow full 3" system that is on it today. I also have a spare stock turbo that has lower mileage that will be included, as the one on the car has started blowing some smoke.

It will also come with a set of stock wheels painted gold, currently wrapped with "acceptable" all season tires that I've been using to basically keep the car off the ground. I used to put snows on them, but the car has been garaged winters for the last 4 years, and seen very few non-autocross miles.

Mileage is at 101k last i checked, and it has not had it's 100k service, which includes a timing belt. I can either deduct that cost from the price of the car or have the service completed by a trusted mechanic. 100k includes spark plugs, oil, Coolant, gearbox, and diff fluid changes. It's running a little lumpy at idle as it REALLY needs those spark plugs.

only cosmetic issues with the car are the stickers, which i will happily remove, or leave.. and a dented rear door from a deer. it's mid panel, and can probably be handled by a PDR guy.

The only mods that are really left to do on this car are a pair of race buckets, some bushings, and a more aggressive tune. Current tune is mild, but delivers slightly more power than stock and can run on 91 octane. if i really wanted to turbo stomp all over Mr. Murphy's face, i'd have gone and tuned for 104 octane.

I have additional parts available that are not included in the purchase price, but are available for negotiation. They include:
    Full electronic gauge package with good center cluster (boost, afr, oil press, oil temp, and water temp)
    LC-1 Wideband system (the bung is already in the exhaust)
    APS 3" turbo inlet tube

There have been a few questions lobbed my way about daily driver, streetable, etc..
    it's entirely possible to daily drive this car. It will be rough, but on the new Koni setup, it's much more comfortable than what it was when i daily drove it. That being said, it is very aggressive, and it does want to rotate as it should. but, with the package included at this price, you can return the car almost completely back to stock suspension.

Right now, I'd like to see $13,500
    The added price of the car is based off the used value of the parts that are on it currently plus current KBB pricing.
    The coil over/strut top package will fetch over $2k on it's on pretty easily, as they're UBER-RARE
    there is nothing factored for all the setup time and information I have to Impart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Whaaatttt! So you're actually going to pull the trigger and sell it? Sorry to hear that, but I'm sure you will be on to bigger and better things.

For the rest of you - I have had the chance to drive this car and it is set up very well. As Shane mentioned...the ZZYZX coilover setup is one of the best out there, but extremely difficult to find (as they are no long made). They do accept koni inserts which makes the coilovers very easy to service and adjust dampening rates.

glws!

3. Shane86

Thanks!

The story on the ZZYZX motorsports coil overs is basically there was a guy who was not pleased with any of the offerings in suspension for subarus.. so he went to work and built the ZZYZX series competition coil overs. They were an all aluminum threaded body with independent preload and ride height adjustment, all wrapped around one of the best double adjustable macpherson shocks, the koni 8611 that had been custom valved to spec. These were over $4000 for a set.

Unfortunately, they cost far too much in the market segment, and only the top guys with the biggest check books could afford their glory.

Later, he made a cheaper steel bodied coil over setup, the EM series, built around that same 8611, still custom valved and ready to go. this just had single height adjustment, but gained insane alignment capabilities. these cost over $3300 new, and are the second best suspension option available for an impreza.. the only coil over that was ever any better than it on the market was the competition series.

AFAIK, only a single run of these coil overs made it out to the public before ZZYZX Motorsports folded taking all designs with him.
    I managed to find a used set in excellent condition from a fellow autoxer i managed to badger into selling to me before he sold his RS.

Being inserts, they can be removed from their coilover housings and rebuilt and customized by a multitude of koni dealers, including koni usa themselves, so there's almost nothing these can't do.

4. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

Shane.. You know I feel about them RPF-1 wheels..

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to make something happen ;)

5. Shane86

For now, they're going to go with the car. If i don't get any traction on the car within a reasonable amount of time, i'm going to strip the thing back as stock as i can and sell it that way.

6. boone1186

boone1186 Active Member

7. Shane86

Bumping this up.
    I'm not getting a whole lotta interest for the car as it sits, so I'm thinking after nats I'm going to put the wrench time in and tear her down, and return to stock.
    Breaks my hear to do it, but if that's the only way I'll get some interest in selling it, so be it.

If you're remotely interested, let me know asap.

8. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

I think you might drum up some more interest if the stickers are removed...

Regardless, I hope this car goes to a good home as is...it was a blast to drive!

9. Shane86

I think the issue is it's pretty narrow group of interest for this kind of setup.
    The suspension setup is top notch in a rule set, and it's excellent for that, or an excellent base for a track/hpde car with some minor mods.
    Moving to other autox classes, it's a better deal to just buy the parts and start with an 06-07.

It's streetable.. and it's a good all weather sports car with all the stock hardware being included.. swapping out the struts and wheels (both included) puts it back to a fine winter car in an afternoon.

10. Shane86

Okay. Absolutely last ditch effort.. 10k, but I'm not spinning another wrench on it.
    You can put it back together where it stands, or tow it away, but this price is only for the next week.

11. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

What are you going to do it it doesn't sell?

12. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

I.E. I am interested in the wheels and tires.

13. Shane86

I have a friend who's already got dibs on the tires, but the wheels and most other parts will be comng off for sale.

14. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

I'd still be interested in the wheels, let me know if you end up parting it out.

15. Shane86

well if someone doesn't take me up on this deal before next week they'll be for sale.

16. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

I mean.. if we look up top.. I already had dibs on the wheels... Just saying ;)

Shane, I really hope this doesn't have to go to a part out.
    Hopefully, as the season approaches, someone will snatch this up!

17. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

If a part out begins, I would be interested in the trunk, and maybe the headlights! GLWS - This is a great price!

18. Shane86

Yeah, not that level of part out.
    Part-out as in the aftermarket parts. It's still a very street able car with no significant chassis modifications.

19. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Gotcha! My bad - GLWS

20. ericthegoalieman

ericthegoalieman Well-Known Member

Just courious what is taken apart as of right now?

21. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

ugh... if I didn't have a STi, and a outback already, plus wanting to buy a kart.

What does the car need, and has anything been sold from your original post?

22. Shane86

All the accessories are detached, so i could get to a problematic crank position sensor. I've got the replacement belts, and crank position sensor.
    The AC tensioner was damaged in disassemble, replacement part also acquired.

Lastly, the inline nugget for the boost control solenoid cracked, and i have a replacement.
    A new battery is on a charger and ready to go.

The parts are pretty much all there, it just needs some effort to put it back together.

All the parts listed are still included.

The spark plug change was completed before stopped working on it.

Ctracey218 likes this.
  23. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

I might be interested in the coilovers if you let them go alone.

24. Shane86

Car is Sold!

tehfuzz and Ctracey218 like this.
  25. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Congrats!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.