2005 Legacy Turbo Death

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by leemoreno, Jan 5, 2012.

1. leemoreno

leemoreno New Member

Well in between my last oil change i lost 2 and a half quarts of oil!!!! Holy Crap... Turbo is leaking oil everywhere. So im off to MAP soon as they get my turbo in. Ill do a new vf52 a catback and a tune. Not ready to do injectors and other fuel upgrades. I totally forgot to tell them I joined mnsubaru. eh guess ill let em know tommorow. Any suggestions? Comments? Requests?

2. bikerboy

bikerboy Subie GOD Staff Member

Remove all the banjo filters. Change your oil and filter before you start the car, change it again after it has warmed up. Drive it for 10 miles and change it again. Then pray your motor isn't damaged.

leemoreno likes this.
  3. leemoreno

leemoreno New Member

well My turbo still works. The car still runs. Dealership said it was warped. It still has near full power. Does that still apply????

4. Deride

Deride Well-Known Member

Listen to bikerboy, those filters (screens) have killed many turbos and motors.

5. leemoreno

leemoreno New Member

O yes the screens,... for sure. Now what about the chance of my motor being bad and having to flush oil a few times

6. bikerboy

Your not still driving the car are you? I would drain the oil into a new or very clean pan. Let it sit in the pan for an hour then slowly pour of the top till you get down to about a cup left then pan it around and look for any shinny stuff. If you see anything shinny refer to my original post.

7. turkeylord

turkeylord Well-Known Member

8. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Compression test also

9. leemoreno

leemoreno New Member

thank you guys so much. Its awesome to have people that I am able to get in contact with that actually care. Thanks a million. Way to treat the new guy. Oh and why a compression check

10. leemoreno

leemoreno New Member

No im not driving the car. Its Just sitting waiting for Modern automotive to get my turbo in then my plan was to drive it nice and easy over to them. it was driven for about a month like that though. I have been so busy and its my wifes car so i dont drive it everyday. I just went outside and checked oil and it was low again way low. Not even on dipstick. So i freaked and used my Monday off, filled it up with oil and took it to a shop. they just checked it and said i should take it to a dealer. I took it to a dealer then the tech gave me the whole spill on everything thats wrong. Took me out in the shope with it raised on the stand and around and under my car we went. So shes not driving..... now that is.

11. leemoreno

leemoreno New Member

So was your motor fine and how much did you pay for all the work you got done. How many miles on it before it failed

12. leemoreno

leemoreno New Member

????? compression

13. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

I find these reports of turbo failures rather ironic since I purchased a Subaru with a turbo because I knew (maybe a better word would be "thought") they had extensive experience with turbocharged engines (prior to 2005). I'm gonna hope that religious 3,000 mile synthetic oil change intervals will be my savior.

14. sneefy

sneefy Well-Known Member

Indeed. I almost bought a Legacy GT, but thankfully I did some reading into the turbo failure history and the infamous oil line filter issue. I decided to get a 3.0R instead. Legacy GT turbos are known for eating themselves.

15. turkeylord

So far so good on the motor, it had 80k when I pulled the turbo.

I did all the labor myself, it's really not that bad. $0 :D

16. leemoreno

leemoreno New Member

I did all the labor myself, it's really not that bad. $0 :D[/quote]
    did you change banjo filters??? if not you need to your turbo could die and fast

17. turkeylord

The IP&T line relocates the feed to the AVCS oil galley & replaces the stock banjo with a higher-flow double banjo. Stock feed is capped off and not used.

18. derp

derp Well-Known Member

this thread is relevant to my interests.

is there a writeup of removal of the banjo filters?

19. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

And you would also think that after YEARS of piston ringland failures on the 2.5 blocks that they would have done something to resolve the issue. Unfortunately they haven't. I have faith that it will not pertain to my 2.5 hybrid like the "02 burnt exhaust valves" never applied to my 2002 2.0 block...although it did to alot of the others!

20. bikerboy

IMHO I think the Legacy owner is more at fault. Let me try and explain my thoughts. The average LGT owner has never owned a forced induction car before. The think they can just drive them like a Camry and put 5-6k on them between oil changes. Then they think its better to put Mobil 1 in to run those changes out longer. Then the car starts to consume oil between changes it gets slug build up from running 3 quarts of 6000 mile old oil.

Then the turbo starts to get starved for oil from that plugged screen in the banjo bolt. All of a sudden the car is down on power and they really don't notice because they rarely use the pedal. So now they notice it's down on power, so what do they do next? Well let's take it out for a beat. Hum, now they hear this noise and don't know what it is, so they make a couple more pulls "to try and figure it out."

So now with a bad turbo and maybe engine damage from neglect they want to fault the LGT or Subaru for there own neglect. I have two things to say:

RTFM
    RTFM

Lee I am sorry to crap in your thread and that the story is so similar to yours. Your not the first and there will be many more after you. I hope it works out for your car.

idget likes this.
  21. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm...my LGT IS my first forced induction car...I DID have a Camry before it (1994 that my step daughter has up to about 240,000 miles now), BUT I have used synthetic oil for years in a variety of vehicles and have kept my oil change intervals at 3,000 miles (once in awhile I go a little over, but rarely have I ever gotten to 4,000 miles). Some say overkill and a waste of money, but it is cheaper than an engine rebuild.

I suspect there are just as many ignorant/cheap Impreza owners as there are Legacy owners.

22. leemoreno

leemoreno New Member

I know this is way late but no problem Matt. It is my first forced induction car and i did go about 4-5 thousand miles between oil changes. I had no idea how important it was to do meticulous maintenance on them especially with the oil. All i knew is what ive heard. I very much understand everything now that is relevant going with these cars particularly subies, and have since this done so much research spoke with so many people at so many different shops and spent hours and hours doing these things after work and on the weekends. I'm not the kind of guy that just believes what I hear. I dont blame subaru at all, and am very happy and thankful for mn subaru. I have met and spoke with so many wonderful people thanks to this place.

23. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

Actually the vf40 had a lot of problems. In 07 they switched them out to vf46. They are a lot better and less prone to failure. I still get an oil change every 3500 miles from the dealer. I'm sort of lazy now and no real time. I'm not hard on the car and really just drive from home to work and back.

24. Subie Lovers

Subie Lovers Well-Known Member

Was there a problem with the '08 LGT??? or was that addressed with the new turbo as well???

25. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

I believe they addressed that starting in 07 when they all went vf46. But then again, Its either better or people are just starting to really take care of their car.

26. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

revised, better, lol
    i doubt people started to take better care of their car. when that day comes, you'd see unicorns flying and rainbows with pots of gold at the end of it.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  27. Medic_538

Medic_538 Well-Known Member

:facepalm: you don't get the unnnniiiiiicorn! (enter despicable me)

28. .17HMR

.17HMR New Member

I like it how Bryan recommended the FP (UNfiltered) feed line kit W/ his Hybrid Turbo's than later switched to recommending the FILTERED feed line kit from IP&T. $400 rebuild left me out of a vehicle for nearly 3 weeks in which I failed 2 classes due to attendance. Interesting thing is that t'was still under warranty. -Yeah, the LGT's runs dirty, but if anyone else has had the "contamination" issue W/ any of the BNR turbo's, make sure to get an analysis to double check.

29. Subie Lovers

So my turbo shaft just broke in half on my '06 OBXT... http://mnsubaru.com/threads/is-my-turbo-still-functional.39898/#post-662148
    mainly trying to figure out why... pulled both banjo bolts on the front side of the heads... no screens with large holes, But when I got to the one for the turbo there was just a very tiny hole in it maybe like 2MM if that... Is that the correct banjo bolt for it???

Ill post a pic of it when I get home today.

30. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Thats the right banjo
    Oil restrictor ;)

Btw those stock turbo are known to blow even with no filter

Time to man up and go with a 74mm turbo

Subie Lovers likes this.
  31. Subie Lovers

Thanks Nuke... Going BNR 20g, RACER X FMIC, JP stock bore pistons, new bearings, new oil pickup, new oil cooler, braided lines, oil catch can, fuel pump and injectors... Any thing I'm missing???

32. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Save $ and skip the bnr/lgt style location turbo and get a regular turbo (your fmic will bolt to it)

33. WLGT

WLGT Well-Known Member

plugs, up/dp, cbe, tune, wheels, brembo brakes, paint job, park under a tree during a big storm and strong winds;)

34. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

And an $80 ziptie too bro

Subie Lovers and WLGT like this.
  35. Scoobyvroom

Scoobyvroom Well-Known Member

2005 OBXT, drive the crap out of it and have 110K, still have the stock turbo and screens. Only reason is I can't get he banjo bolt loose. Was going to leave it for when I do the timeing belts.