2008 STI Hatchback, 70K miles, $21,000

Discussion in 'FS: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats' started by racerx321, Dec 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racerx321

racerx321 Well-Known Member

2008 Subaru WRX STI Hatchback
    Base model
    Dark Grey Metallic
    Miles: 70,100
    Price: $21,000

[​IMG]
    1-owner, adult-driven, lightly modified, well-loved, clean STI hatchback for sale.

All maintenance recently updated. Within last 200 miles/1 month: Brand new winter tires (Blizzaks), brake rotors/pads, battery, accessory air pump + relay, full synthetic oil.
    60K maintenance completed. Should be all good to go for quite a while.

Reason for sale:
    · Bought a new 2017 STI.
    [​IMG]

Brief history:
    · I bought the car new in November 2008 (after the stock market crashed, Subaru was offering 0% APR on STIs, so I couldn’t resist and sold my 2003 WRX [old MNSubaru ad link here] and bought this STI).
    · The ECU had already been re-flashed prior to sale (you might recall the bad OEM tune that the first run of new 2008 STIs came with). Installed the catback in Spring 2009, along with a dyno tune at RS Motors. Later that year opted to go with a road protune, which the car has been running flawlessly with ever since.
    · Installed the suspension mods in Spring 2009, and really have done little else to it since then.
    · Car went to maybe 2 or 3 autocrosses in the summer of 2009 and none since. Has not seen any track time.
    · No engine issues at all—is adult driven (I’m 44 years old; no need to drag race at stop lights any more!) and has been a great car.
    · Just started to get a bit bored with it after driving it for 8 years, so decided to purchase a new STI.

The bad:

· Wheel finishes are chipping/bubbling on the OEM 5-spoke wheels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

· Scratched rear bumper cover from parking too close to garage door—garage door scraped it while closing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The good:

Engine/Exhaust:
    · Hayward & Scott catback exhaust (directly purchased and imported from their UK shop); sounds great and is pretty rare to see here in the US.
    · Protuned (by Bullwinkle) for 93 Octane.
    · Never had any other engine/exhaust mods (OEM intake/upipe/downpipe/etc.)
    · Always used Valvoline 5W30 Full Synthetic oil.
    · Just had the recall done for the accessory air pump relay switch (also got a new accessory air pump/valves, as my original unit had recently failed). This is just an emissions system pump.
    · Completed 60,000 mile service (including new spark plugs, transmission fluid, rear diff fluid, brake fluid); done at 64K miles in Jan 2016.

Suspension/Wheels:
    · GT Worx Bilstein shocks.
    · RaceComp Engineering black springs.
    · Whiteline 22mm adjustable front swaybar.
    · Whiteline 22mm adjustable rear swaybar.
    · Whiteline steering rack bushings.
    · Brand new winter tires (245/40/18 Blizzak WS80); mounted on OEM 5-spoke wheels with TPMS units.

Brakes:
    · Brand new brake rotors x 4 (StopTech cryo-treated rotors) and new brake pads x 4 (Hawk HPS Street). Properly bedded last week (before it got super cold!).

Exterior:
    · Window Tinting and ClearBra by Flawless Front Ends. Window tint has a scratch on the rear hatch. Clear bra covers front bumper cover, front half of hood + fenders, hood scoop entry, side mirrors, side skirts. Clear bra is in good shape, except for side skirts (kids tend to do a bit of ski boot clearance on them---grrrr) and front lower lip (is cracked from a run-in with a pile of ice—that I thought was snow—in my work parking lot last winter).
    · Front grill professionally painted flat black (painted over the OEM chrome ‘mustache’).
    · Red taillight overlays (so much better than OEM look; can barely tell they’re on there).
    · RallyArmor mudflaps.
    · Subaru aero roof rack included. I took the rack off this year and noted that the clear coat is a bit worn under the roof rack ‘feet’, so those areas could use some detail work if you’re planning to run the car without the roof rack. Never noticed a big MPG difference with vs. without the rack (maybe 0.5 MPG or so), but I don’t do a lot of long-distance driving (whole other story with a Yakima box on top, though!).

Interior:
    · Prova alcantara steering wheel. Love this piece—stays cool in summer and warm in winter. A bit worn, but not bad. Also retains OEM amenities—airbag, sound/cruise controls.
    · Pioneer Nav/DVD head unit (AVIC F90BT). Includes steering wheel control module and aftermarket larger volume control knob.
    · Low-profile powered subwoofer under passenger front seat.
    · Aftermarket speakers (can’t recall which brand right now).
    · Has auto-dimming rearview mirror.

Clean CarFax report available to interested buyers. Note that I forgot to remove the lien from the title when I paid it off several years ago, but I have the certified lien release document in hand, so you won’t have any issues when transferring the title. CarFax also still reports the open recall for accessory air pump relay, but that has been taken care of at Bloomington Subaru.

I’m super busy (am a full-time doctor and professor with two young kids), but will coordinate to meet serious buyers. My work is in Minneapolis; I live in Eagan. Will try my best to check PMs once per day, but given my work/dad duties, please be patient.

Thanks!

Ken

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ocie, Ntxhuav_Khang and silver03 like this.
  2. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Wow...very clean hatchback Ken! Was this thing driven in the winter? Because it looks pretty darn flawless!

Looked at the bugeye link....you keep all of your cars very clean! Enjoy the new STi and GLWS!!

-Josh

Also, just curious, why didn't you just trade it in on the new one? Looks like the trade in value can be anywhere from $17k-$21k. I put "excellent" condition into the kbb when I looked it up. Been thinking about picking up a hatchback and this looks like a perfect specimen!

3. racerx321

Thanks, Josh. It was my year-round daily driver, but between this STI, my Miata and my bike, I actually didn't put a ton of commuting mileage on it. As to why no trade-in, the previous winter tires and brakes needed replacement, and you wouldn't believe how badly the stealership lowballed me because of that 'significant maintenance work' they would have to do to sell it. :shifty: Seemed weird to me, but I just politely declined, did the necessary maintenance work (using parts that I would want for myself, not some low-grade crap), and am now selling on my own. And now that it's all fixed, the devil on my shoulder says 'keep it and make it your winter ice racer...':devil: Thankfully, I have a wife who shoos that little devil away!

Yeah, CarFax's history-based pricing tool puts the retail value at $22,270. If you're looking for a relatively low-mileage, single-owner hatch that hasn't been beat on, this is your chance (says the devil on your shoulder....:devil:)

drac77 and tangledupinblu like this.
  4. racerx321

Oh, and I definitely miss my bugeye--had some really fun rallycross and autocross times with it back when I had the time to do such things!

5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Not to derail your fs thread to much...but when was that? Just wondering if i may have met you before as i have rallyx'd over the past 7 or so years.

Either way, the wife shood away that little devil this morning when i sent her this link! Hahaha. Great car for the money!

6. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

Beautiful, the picture of your old and new is my dream setup right now. I have a 15 but want to start using it less in the winters and miss my hatchback, sooooo tempting. Either way GLWS.

tehfuzz likes this.
  7. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

This looks to be very clean, well maintained 08 STI, and a fair price as well! The STI hatches are still some of my favorites...I'm tempted, but I've been far down that path before :grumpy:

Anyway, glws, it should go quick.

8. racerx321

The rallycross days were like 2003-2006, and the autox like 2006-2009. Then my weekend life got too busy--hope to get back to it some day.
    Thanks for the comments!

9. hella_sti

hella_sti Well-Known Member

Wow, a clean, thoughtfully modded sti that is deserving of its (non-astronomical) asking price. Good luck with the sale!

10. racerx321

SOLD. Please lock thread--thanks!

idget likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.