2010 Forester XT transmission swapped and not working

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by polskaWRX, Mar 2, 2021.

1. polskaWRX

polskaWRX Active Member

I have a 2010 forester XT automatic with 80,000 miles and I recently swapped the transmission. Subaru told me the last one was junk after experiencing shifting hesitation at 40 mph and the check engine light and at oil temp lights came on.

This past weekend I replaced the transmission and when I went to test drive it I had hesitation at 15 mph and the lights came back on.

I need help brainstorming solutions to fixing my transmission. I’m hoping that I missed a simple step or there’s a simple fix and that the replacement transmission is not junk.

2. euro

euro Well-Known Member

Is the tcu separate on these? I would say bad computer unit, bad grounds, something electrical

3. curly2k3

curly2k3 Well-Known Member

I'd have an extremely hard time believing a trans failed at 80k unless you were pretty frequently beating the **** out of it. Take it to another dealer or someplace like JM?

4. polskaWRX

polskaWRX Active Member

I believe the tcu is separate but I’m not sure. I couldn’t believe it either. My forester is stock and we used it to run errands. Never beat on it or anything. The dealership thought it was a speed sensor, replaced it, drove it and didn’t fix it. Then they opened the transmission oil pan and saw metal pieces and told me it needed to be replaced after they charged me and quoted me $6000 for a new one. So I towed it home.

5. polskaWRX

polskaWRX Active Member

Update: I checked the codes I got a p0700 and p0720. I opened up the transmission oil pan and it was clean no metal. I replaced the speed sensor harness with the new one Subaru had put on my junk transmission. After swapping everything, I got the same codes again.

I’m looking for any suggestions. The only thing I can think of at this point is replacing the tcm. Otherwise I’ll have to take it to a shop.

6. polskaWRX

polskaWRX Active Member

Transmission #2 was junk. Brought it to JM Auto and they figured it out and quickly fixed it! Thanks for the suggestion!

tangledupinblu and euro like this.