2012 BIR Driving School

Discussion in 'MNSubaru Event Center' started by Musashi, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Well I'm a firm believer that it's never too early to plan for your track events. Here is a short and simple list of next seasons events. I believe the pricing remains the same but for next season there will be events on Fridays in addition to the usual Monday's. Hopefully that will help make it more accessible for others. See you guys at the track my Subaru bro's. :twisted:

2012 BIR Driving School

http://www.birperformance.com/default.aspx

May 7 - Both Course
    May 12 - Short Course **Saturday**
    May 21 - Both Course
    Jun 4 - Short Course
    Jun 18 - Short Course
    Jun 29 - Short Course **Friday**
    Jul 9 - Short Course
    Jul 20 - Short Course **Friday**
    Jul 30 - Both Course
    Aug 6 - Short Course
    Aug 27 - Short Course
    Sep 7 - Both Course **Friday**
    Sep 17 - Long Course
    Sep 28 - Both Course **Friday**
    Oct 6 - Both Course **Sat**
    Oct 8 - Both Course - **CANCELLED**
    Oct 15 - Both Course - **CANCELLED**

http://www.birperformance.com/skins/default/2012schedule-v1.pdf

[​IMG]

2. Subie Lovers

Subie Lovers Well-Known Member

We have access to a lake home between BIR and Mille Lac Lake. I think we are going to try and make the Friday short coarse days 6/29, 7/20 or all of the groupon specials... The Lake home offers many of fun times... so if you are planning on tracking those days and want to make a weekend out of it PM me.

3. Musashi

That's very kind of you Subie Lovers! I can dig it! :cool:

4. Subie Lovers

A little clarification... my cabin is only available during the times I am up there. I will be working every other weekend and Monday- Friday... so if it is during that time it will be unavailable. I will let you know what weekends I work.

5. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

I hope those who have attended THIS (2011) year's BIR Groupon deal can come in and let others know how much fun they had. I've been to BIR many times. I haven't driven on the track yet (well, once, but I didn't really get to push it) and hopefully this coming year I get to. I've only been in the passenger, even so, it was pretty much. Subaru guys should get out there more ;)

6. zisson33

zisson33 Well-Known Member

I know it's probably too early to say, but has there been any talk about future Groupon deals to BIR?

7. Musashi

You know about as much as I do. I know a lot of people are hoping and looking forward to using the Groupon as a means to get on the track but it's not the only affordable way. There's other clubs that will offer two day's of track for the price of a day at BIR School. I'm telling you this because I know where everyone's coming from and have struggled to get up to the track myself.

If you're looking for a loose day at the track with minimal instruction go to the BIR School, this isn't a bad thing, it just means you want less instructions. If you want to really refine your craft and want a dedicated Instructor for your whole weekend I'd recommend BMW. You can go thru Track Time Motorsports at a preferred price to most BIR School dates.

8. Musashi

Over the years I've been providing some feed back verbally and in write ups on the various cars I've had the privilege of driving at our events. It's something I've enjoyed doing and will continue to do. So if you're ever interested in a personal review of your current setup I'd be happy to take it thru the ropes and assist you with where I think the car could use some improvements and save you from spending a few extra dollars which you may never have needed had you not had an experienced driver give you some valuable feed back.

Below is a recent write up from this season.:

Fantastic Five at BIR 110912

http://www.mnsubaru.com/threads/fantastic-five-at-bir-110912.36954/

9. RexNEffect

RexNEffect Well-Known Member

We all had a great time there in September, with Chongs instruction and demoing of our cars. I'm definitely down for one of the Friday courses if I can find it at a discounted rate through Groupon or one of the clubs. And Dean/Sophie, I'd definitely like to stay over at your cabin for the weekend! Sounds like fun to me!

Perhaps MNSubaru could get a group buy or something organized for this?

10. Musashi

RexNEffect - thanks for chiming in pal. There's one other way and that is a group discount. If someone would like to spear head this it would be a lot of fun to get a bunch of us out there all at once.

I saw the Evo driver's were able to organize something at the last Oct 3 event. That was fun to see. Just PM me if you have question or need help with this.

11. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

We should have everyone let you drive their car for a lap on the clock. With Chong as the Stig, we could see who's car is really the fastest around BIR :)

We could even have an "MNSubaru Power Board", just like on Top Gear :)

Musashi likes this.
  12. Musashi

Ben - Thanks, that sounds like a lot of fun and I'm very flatted but I don't think it's in my best interest. And to be really honest I don't like doing things that may appear to some owners as abusive. I can adapt very quickly to a car and will do my best to drive within the tires limits, but there are other things I can't control most of which has to do with the car itself and how it's been put together.

I have a very selected few cars I would be willing to push past 10/10th that's other then my own. These are cars the NF has been developing and have been working with for a long time. They design the initial setup, build it, test it, refresh it, test it further and when they think they've finally gotten it done right then they hand it over to me for a final evaluation. And the process starts all over again as needed.

I can teach you how to go faster, I can give you enough rope to hang yourself and I can teach you how to win. But I won't do it for you. I'll never drive a students car past 8/10ths, yes it may seem fast to you but I always leave room on the table. I love your car's but I'm in now hurry to want to own it.

Everyone has their own personal agenda and for most I think I can help you, I've designed programs to help coach my students to drive safer, go faster, become more competent, win events and stay alive. I'll be happy to discuss this further with anyone.

It's cool if you enjoy watching people like myself drive your car really fast around the track, but won't you rather learn how to do it yourself? :devil:

13. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Says the guy with the very fast car... LOL

I think it should be the owner in their own car. I say this because the 2 people I went to BIR with had less HP and power than I did... but owned me on the track. Their seat time in AutoX and RallyX really showed on the road course. It really opened my eyes to my ability vs my cars ability.

I had a great time doing this in September with RexNEffect, Juks, Tim the Plumber and 08 WRX.... Chong is a great instructor. I really learned a lot about my car and the seat time was awesome. I really wish I would have gotten into road course a long time ago. I plan on pooling 50% of my mod money on BIR and DCTC this year (2012). You really can't beat great tracks and someone helping you learn how improve your driving styles. I highly recommend this event to everyone who wants to learn how to drive their car. Everyone can learn/grow in some way, and IMO this is an awesome way to do it. I hope to see the Groupon again this year, it was April last year when it came out. Either way, jumping on the BMW events sounds like a good deal too. Even if you don't want to drop the $$$ on BIR (BIR is worth every penny) DCTC is only $100 after the membership fee. That is a great deal! I have to say having a full day to do laps was nice. Our group was awesome and a lot of people left BIR around 2pm... so the last 2 hours were great out on the track. My last set of laps I only saw 1 car (was passed by) for 6 laps.

Do it, you won't be sorry!

Oh and I would vote for the SHORT COURSE!

14. Musashi

Oh, so Mr. B had something hidden under his sleeve, gotcha....:cool:

Mr. D - you sound very motivated right now, we should sit down and really talk about how you can advance from your current position as my Lug Nut torque guy. :D And get you into a Backup Driver position asap.

ofspunk7 likes this.
  15. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

Something I should've mentioned in the BMW thread, but will mention here.
    If you plan to spend $ on the car AND the $, why not put your $ into the event first, then see what areas and where to spend your $

16. wrx 08 Sedan

wrx 08 Sedan Member

Can't wait til spring to go around the track some more.
    Sorry Chong but no 08 sedan next year:( traded it for a new 2011:D
    I also wanna say thanks for the compliments and you taught me alot thanks

Musashi likes this.
  17. Musashi

Where has my superstar been hiding? How's the family pal? I'll miss the old car, but I think youre ready for the 11. And you're welcome it's was a treat. Now I'd like you to come back and reproduce what you just did next season. Congrats!

18. wrx 08 Sedan

wrx 08 Sedan Member

working my butt off to pay for the toys and seat time:) . alot of school only a couple of years left i hope if i don't change my major. kids been getting into trouble so been busy with that:banghead:.

19. Musashi

Hang in there you'll get to your destination before you even know it. Smooth and easy!

20. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

Working on that myself.

I 100% agree.

21. Musashi

Can we make this a Sticky pretty please. Thanks!!!

22. i_subie

i_subie Well-Known Member

I have to drive 8.5hrs just to do track events at BIR. Most of you guys in here, live in MN. I feel so left out some days, being the only NA Subaru chasing them BMWs. I honestly would like to see more Subaru guys out on the track as well.

23. FuJi K

FuJi K Well-Known Member

Driver/owners.... your performance shows what you can do with your machine.
    Events like these make that possible. Mark your dates!

24. Musashi

I appreciate the commitment and tt's great that you wanna come and support the MN community, but by now you really should start considering spending some track time at your home track. If I lived 20 mins away from Road America I'd be hitting it at least once a week. Bang Bang!!

25. Musashi

Are you saying we'll be seeing more of the infamous Japanese driver at these events next season?

26. i_subie

I am looking at attending only 1 BIR driving school event this year and probably MAP. When I get a new and faster car, I will hit up RA. Too bad Barber Motorsport is 14hrs away. I love that course.

27. Musashi

Why do you always insist on making excuses. I guess you must of been sleeping during all those sessions from last year's BMW Octoberfest at RA when the NA 2.5RS (which you own by the way) was passing every advance student in that group and some in the Instructors. So how much faster will a faster car make you if this is the case? :coffee:

28. i_subie

Well that was you driving. Not me. After I get a new and faster car. I'll be running at RA. XP

29. Musashi

You're missing the point here but it's okay, you'll look nice in a new!

30. Subie Lovers

I added these dates to the MNSubaru calendar.

31. Musashi

Thank you sir!

32. Musashi

Oct 8 & 15 has been **CANCELLED**

33. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

that sucks

what's the reason for the cancellation?

34. Musashi

I couldn't make it to the BIR School meeting so I don't have the details. But will find out. I know you were really looking forward to attending. ;)

Added Oct 6 both tracks.

35. Bryan

Bryan Member

I would love to do this! I've been to a few HPDE events back in CA with friends and even just riding along was a blast.

Is this just an "instructional" and informative type of thing or will we actually be able to tear it up on our own on the track? Will there be instructors riding along with us the whole time? Are there passing/speed rules? Are passengers allowed (just to ride along)?

I see you guys mentioning a Groupon deal last year...what was that deal? Just a general discount or a '2 for 1" thing?

I would definiately be in for a "group day" if someone sets it up. A bunch of suby's out there would be fun.

36. Musashi

Hi Bryan, this event can be as informal as you like it to be. You'll have an Instructor assigned to you in the morning but you can drive at your own pace and solo if you wish. Rules are like at any open track day, passing will depend on your run group. Passengers are at the discretion of the Chief Instructor.

I have no details on whether or not BIR will be participating in another Groupon deal. Last year we had a group of five that came out to one event together.

http://www.mnsubaru.com/threads/fantastic-five-at-bir-110912.36954/

Hope to see you and others there this season.

37. tjkolb

tjkolb Member

May 7th or the 21st I will be attending and seeing how much work I need to do to prepare for the Proving grounds. Anyone else planning on attending either of these dates? I would really love to hear some impressions about my car from fellow members on site.

38. Musashi

Well maybe the winner from the Free One Track Day at BIR will come out to either one.

39. wrx 08 Sedan

wrx 08 Sedan Member

I see that they have may 7 and 21 listed as using both tracks how does that work.

40. Musashi

The day is spilt in half on both tracks.

41. Musashi

UPDATE: May 12 - Short Course **Saturday** Has been added.

That's 9 Mondays, 4 Fridays and 2 Saturday events.

42. Musashi

43. Soupboy

Soupboy Well-Known Member

Will somebody hold my hand so I don't make newb mistakes that upset the regulars?

Musashi likes this.
  44. Musashi

Well of course sir! We might even learn a thing or two from you in return.

45. Soupboy

Soupboy Well-Known Member

I can guarantee it won't be about driving skills or wrenching! I need to go buy another helmet...