2012 Subaru plug and play HID or LED headlights - suggestions please!

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by 2012WRX, Oct 29, 2018.

1. 2012WRX

2012WRX Active Member

Where can I purchase the easiest plug and play HID kit to replace the OEM Halogen bulbs (low beams and high beams??)? Or, with the technology of LED these days am I better to just replace the Halogen bulbs with LED?

Also, I'd probably prefer to change the bulbs in the fog lights at the same time to match the color/glow of the headlights when they are turned on if possible.

Any suggestions on which route to take from others that have done it would be greatly appreciated! Also recommendations where to purchase please.

Thanks in Advance!

2. Terry Ammerman

Terry Ammerman Well-Known Member

I have LED bulbs in both my cars 98 Outback and 02 WRX. Personally I would never get another set of HID.

3. JaloP

JaloP Well-Known Member

Are there different "colors" for LED headlights or are they all pretty much generic?

4. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

The different ones should change in color from warm(yellow/white) to cool(blue). Less blue is better for what it’s worth.

JaloP likes this.
  5. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

HID bulbs have a much larger light output point (looks like a filament, but technically isn't) than the filament on a halogen bulb. So you will get light where it wasn't designed to be (how much and where will depend on the light housing), this frequently results in glare for oncoming drivers. Not acceptable, IMHO.

The light on LED chips originates from a smaller point than a halogen filament, which means if it's placed right, you won't get light where you don't want it. It does mean that there will be less, usually on the sides. I put cheap LEDs (from Amazon, unfortunately the exact ones are no longer available) in place of the low beams in our '04 Outback, and checked very closely to make sure the patterns were acceptable.

Halogens:
    [​IMG]
    20170106_190722
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

LEDs:
    [​IMG]
    20170106_194357
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

You can see that the light pattern is narrower, but crucially does not cast any more light above the cutoff than the halogens.

And from down the driveway. These are not projectors!
    [​IMG]
    20170106_194211
    by Numbchux, on Flickr

My wife has driven this car behind me in my Celica (very low driving position) in traffic, and those headlights are no brighter to

Yes, there are light color options. Most Halogens are about 4500k color temperature, which is a touch on the yellow side of the spectrum (which is good for snow, as it won't reflect off the white quite so badly). Most cheap LEDs are in the 6500k range (that what mine are), which is a bit on the blue side. The bluer colors are also not as good for long distance, I rode in a friend's vehicle with really nice (Lifetime LED) LED headlight bulbs and when he switched to high-beam, you could tell that the pattern was higher, but it didn't seem to go any further down the road. As a result, I left the halogens for High Beams in our Outback.

LEDs generate quite a bit of heat, but not at the point of light, but at the base of the bulb. This means 2 things. First, you don't get the heat to the lens, I've heard people say they ice up easier, although I haven't experienced this. The other thing is that they have to have a heat sync and sometimes even a fan at the base. This can be a challenge for fitment depending on the application. Most housings don't leave a ton of room behind the bulb. And on Subarus, the cap behind the bulb is part of the sealing system that keeps moisture and debris out of the housing. I've seen cars where people get out the hold saw a cut a big hole in that cap, and then get crap in their headlights. There are LEDs that have a flexible copper braid as the heat sync, that's what I used and did not have to modify anything, the integrity of the seals on the housings are in tact. These seem to be less common, but IMO are much better.

JaloP and tangledupinblu like this.