2013 BRZ Build Thread (Previously Next Upgrade)

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Kneel Weiß, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Kneel Weiß

Kneel Weiß FUMP BDI Staff Member

OK. I have come to a decision point with the BRZ. I want to replace the headers and work the exhaust all the way back. Now, I am looking for opinions on the Invidea N1 dual cans or the GReddy Ego 3s. I'm leaning towards the Evo's. Also does the BRZ have a down or over pipe? Or do I just got the headers, catalytic and back. Help is appreciated! Thanks guys and gals.

2. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

TURRRRBOOOOOOO

3. tehfuzz

tehfuzz Well-Known Member

+1 yeah turbo that **** ,lunchbox!!!!

Kneel Weiß likes this.
  4. Kneel Weiß

Supercharger...that's down the road a ways though.

5. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Shoulda got a Rustang GT! ;)

Kneel Weiß and tehfuzz like this.
  6. derp

derp Well-Known Member

2jz no sh!t

tehfuzz likes this.
  7. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

The name "downpipe" is the term used for the exhaust piping that connects to the back side (hot side) of [some] turbo setups. Most turbo subaru's have what we call a "downpipe."

Your BRZ, does not have a "downpipe." It will have exhaust headers and a catback...and probably some exhaust piping in between (midpipe)? If you're not already aware, an exhaust system does not add a lot of power to a naturally aspirated vehicle. Also, replacing the exhaust with an exhaust that has too large of a diameter on a NA, it may actually cause a loss in power.

For making loud noises though, exhausts are great :thumbup:

As far as which exhaust...that's a matter of your personal preference. I don't like the Invidia melon launcher style exhausts on GD chassis WRX's, although the BRZ N1 exhaust doesn't look terrible. I really like the Greddy EVO exhaust for GD WRX's, and the exhaust looks very similar for the BRZ.

8. Kneel Weiß

I am currently still leaning towards GReddy. Got a list of what I'll need headers back too. Thanks for the clarification though. I had no clue, suspected they were on turbos only.

Mostly I'd like to eek out a little bit more juice until I can find a tune. Sound is important too. Being NA I'm not expecting a ton of power. But bit by bit helps. Plus I would like it to be a bit more bullet proof than stock so I can look at adding serious power later down the line.

Thanks for the input!

9. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

I watched a how to video on super charging the Scion's version of the brz. It was one thing after another going wrong. I'd look into it more before you go that route. The video is on youtube.

10. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

I have n1 on my brz if you want to hear it come over. Its due to be fired up anyway.

11. JasonoJordan

Also it does have a over pipe. If you remove it dome say it can trigger a cel as it has a cat in it

12. Kneel Weiß

I'd be interested for sure! Wasn't planning on taking it off. Lined up my parts so now its a money thing.

13. Kneel Weiß

I got a lot of thinking on it yet. No solid promises. I would like to do something like Crawford but, I'm a newb and filled with dreams.

Cotts612 likes this.
  14. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

LSx swap that mother.

The new LT4 in the Z06 has some possibilities.

Go exotic and do a 5.0L Coyote swap.

15. JasonoJordan

Pm me and we will setup a time.

16. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

Stick with the supercharger idea!

A header will help with the torque dip you see on stock BRZs, many have tried to tune it out with no luck.

17. Kneel Weiß

I am looking at Borla Unequal length headers, Invidea front and up pipes, then GReddy Evo 3's to round everything off.

18. JasonoJordan

Next summer I'll have to decide turbo or supercharger.

19. Kneel Weiß

I like supers. Immediate response from the low to mid range RPM band, which is kind of what the BRZ really needs. Being that its so light, I don't think I need a turbo that can generate more than 350 to 500 horses because it just isn't needed or practical. Look at me! I weigh 2700lbs or less with 400 horses! I can't get my tires to stick and give me traction even with slicks!

Cotts612 likes this.
  20. JasonoJordan

I have not read much on superchargers buy im looking for 320-375 whp and torques is my goal.

Kneel Weiß likes this.
  21. Kneel Weiß

22. Kneel Weiß

The biggest issue is the tune. Speaking of, did you get yours flashed? If so where? I would like something a little better than stock, especially after the exhaust gets done.

23. JasonoJordan

Have not got it done yet. Once romraider catches up I'll have my friend who tuned my Wrx tune it

24. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

The term downpipe is a term used for a pipe turning down. The term sidepipe... well, ask your mom.

tangledupinblu and Kneel Weiß like this.
  25. Kneel Weiß

Alright, I have ordered my Invidea Front and Up pipe. Now is the tricky part. I am torn between Borla Equal Length Headers or HKS Headers. I am kind of leaning with HKS even though they are almost double the cost of the Borla. I think the nicest part is that they dont coil back around the front of the engine (not sure if im describing that right). It looks like they just come right of the heads and straight back with minimum bending. Which will no doubtedly make it really loud. Decisions Decisions. Thoughts my friends?

ofspunk7 likes this.
  26. Kneel Weiß

Also, before anyone says it. I know its my car and I should do what I want and not build it based on what other people say. I am merely curious on if anyone has used the parts and can give a personal testimony to them. Better than off the product sites. Thanks again!

27. JasonoJordan

Cant speak to your choices of parts but will warn you doing that will give you a cel.

28. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

why unequal length? For sound? Equal length are typically more efficient and offer better power.

tehfuzz likes this.
  29. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

My housemate has a BRZ that he is developing for autocross.
    So far he has an intake and catback exhaust. The BRZ can be tuned for E85 without any modifications.
    I don't know if NF has any experience with tuning these yet, or if Cobb is offering a solution. My housemate went with EcuTek. He was able to contact a tuner on the east coast somewhere that has tuned a few of these. (Full Blown Performance locally is listed as a dealer/tuner) This system gives you the ability to load 4 maps at once, switch between them with a flick of the turn signals, flat foot shifting and rev matching, (both are VERY cool, tried them at DCTC), launch control, etc. He has a regular gas map, E85 map, a blended fuel map for when he has a half a tank of E85 and needs to fill up with regular gas, and I think the stock map.
    If you want more/better info, let me know and I will pass along what I can.

Kneel Weiß likes this.
  30. Kneel Weiß

I said equal length Borlas in my last post this morning. I apologize if I wasn't clear. Will both headers trigger the cel?

31. Kneel Weiß

Also is it because it eliminates the O2 sensors?

32. JasonoJordan

No its because I believe I read somewhere that the stock heads have a cat on it could be wrong.

33. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Ah I stand corrected...reading comprehension won that round.

+1 for E-85. I'd take a bet that E-85 will yield more power than the headers and catback. I've also driven the BRZ that Glen is referring to and it has plenty of power and is plenty of fun ;) Heck, they are plenty of fun in stock form!

Kneel Weiß and tehfuzz like this.
  34. JasonoJordan

Did you ever get that master brace installed?

35. Kneel Weiß

I sure did, total cake walk, just DONT drop a screw or the red end cap like I did. You will be looking for it for a while. Have you done headers yet?

36. Kneel Weiß

Its a blast, even in the snow we have been getting. Not so great when the wind blows and 694 is an ice rink that sends me spinning. Whenever a map does come out for it and its readily accessable I think I will stick with a 91 octane tune. Just because. I really dont have a better reason, other than its still corn oil with stuff that makes fire. I reall just want the car to rumble a bit too without tripping every warning light it has. Its a little deflating when I can park next to TehFuzz and he cant even tell I am there cuz its so quiet >.< I would love to do headers, i still gotta check and see if it will void my warranty. It probably will even though I seem to remember White Bear saying that the only thing that will void it is if I drop a super/turbo or dont change my oil and the engine explodes.

tehfuzz likes this.
  37. JasonoJordan

How walser explained it to me is that nothing you do will void your warentee unless they can prove what you did caused the part to fail. I have not done headers yet no. I've been just doing supporting mods thus far. Will finish the exhaust when opensource tunes become more Available.

38. JasonoJordan

39. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Here guys. Do this :)

Kneel Weiß and RexSpeed like this.
  40. RexSpeed

RexSpeed Well-Known Member

'Scuse me while I mop the drool from my desk...

Kneel Weiß likes this.
  41. JasonoJordan

Im going the supporting mod route 1st this time around...better pads rotors handling bits that kinda thing before I make the jump to powaaaaa. I did the powwwaaaa route on my 02 wrx and had nothing but issues holding the power reliably till I finally did the sti drive line swap onto it.

42. Kneel Weiß

I looked at the ft86 forum regarding the Borlas, seems like hit or miss it'll come on, but getting it tuned will make it almost a none issue.

43. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Ryan FailRad, Kneel Weiß and tehfuzz like this.
  44. derp

derp Well-Known Member

J

45. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Z