2015 STI questions

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by STi_From_DSM, Jan 17, 2015.

1. STi_From_DSM

STi_From_DSM Well-Known Member

So I have been throwing around the option of getting a 2015 STi. I currently have a 13' WRX currently with 3 things I would like to transfer over if possible and know that's probably not able to happen. I have Axel back, mud flaps, and 5x100/5x114.3 winter tires/rims.
    Would the rally armor mudflaps fit on the 2015? Does the exhaust match up seeing that the power train is the same? I'm confident the rims would fit a 2011-2014 STi but I don't know very much about the 15' yet

Any thoughts? Or would I be out of luck?

2. DIRTY D

DIRTY D Well-Known Member

small change$$$ compared to cost between the two and insurance.

TMF likes this.
  3. Aluminati

Aluminati Vendor

Other than the rims fitting, I don't think anything else will.

4. STi_From_DSM

I don't think they will either. I was hoping the exhaust would, but I think I may SOL on that and the flaps

5. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

What size are the wheels? My buddy with a 2015 had to use 17" winters. The 16s from his previous WRX wouldn't fit.

6. Ryan FailRad

Ryan FailRad Well-Known Member

Fwiw if they were from a WRX and not an STI, the bolt pattern is different and that could be the simplest reason, both the sti and wrx received the 5-114.3 bolt pattern on the 2015 models.

7. STi_From_DSM

I have 17" winters. Lol, that's nice they finally made them the same bolt pattern.

clajiness likes this.
  8. tonyv

tonyv Well-Known Member

I wouldn't get the new gen STI until they put in a new motor. I would rather get a 2015 wrx over the STI if I had to chose between the two.

idget and Nhibbs like this.
  9. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

I believe the exhaust between the '13 sedan and and the '15's will transfer over. Its a better question for the NASIOC forum.

For the rims, it depends on size and offset. The biggest concern is that they clear the larger brakes.

10. Ravi

Ravi Member

I love driving my '15 STi

I also test drove the '15 WRX before purchasing. The STi is noticeably more raw and engaging to drive. It is the same motor, but the throttle response is much better now. Further, there is no press release of when the fuel injected motor will be offered in the STi stateside.

11. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

Already checked, there is slight difference in the exhausts 2011-14 exhaust will not fit 2015.

12. tonyv

tonyv Well-Known Member

I understand it'll be more raw and engaging to drive, but close to 40k for a car still running the same engine just isn't worth it to me. There's reports of a refresh in 2 years...but we all know how reports are.

Nhibbs likes this.
  13. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

I love a carbureted Sti ;)

atacamaR and drac77 like this.
  14. STi_From_DSM

I have a 2013 WRX, I test drove a 2011, and a 2013 STi and they feel like a different car. Yes, you could buy a WRX and put the added money into it and make it faster, but it still doesn't feel the same.

15. Ravi

Ravi Member

Lol. I meant direct-injected of course!

16. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

The 2015 chassis is completely different, even the new WRX is a better platform than the old STI. I agree with Tonyv. Unless you are trying for big horsepower immediately the new FA20DIT is a better motor and the WRX is considerably cheaper and insurance will be lower.
    Here is a dyno comparison of a 2015 wrx vs a 2015 STI both with tunes. WRX has more power and torque and less lag and you don't have to worry about the pistons cracking like the old dinosaur EJ25.
    [​IMG]
    If you want 500+whp immediately then the 2015 STI would be better because the aftermarket is much more mature and the bugs are worked out but you will need a built motor...

17. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

Or you could just buy the STI and not do a damn thing to it and enjoy the engine for years. Piston cracking etc is usually experienced by 2nd or 3rd owners that get a car that has already been hooned to hell and back, they slap more bolt-on parts to an already ragged out engine, don't properly tune/build it and then they cry on the forums about their failing engines. Back home I have a buddy with an 04 and another with an 08, both stock except for exhaust upgrades of course and neither of them EVER had issues with their EJ25s. They both of course had the ringland failure recall work done and that's it, that ringland failure btw was fixed I think even prior to the 2011 EJ25 engine production. My point is even if you plan to take it to the track both the 2015 WRX and STI are more than capable out of the box to have fun in, more than capable out of the box to have fun during commuting and make more expensive rides look dumb all off the showroom floor. Unless you want to be one of these drag strip 1/4 mile look at what my car can do types just get what YOU want and leave well enough alone and enjoy a reliable and fast ride EITHER way you go. /END

18. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

I would imagine most people (do and) have been purchasing the STI over the WRX for the Transmission, Suspension and Brakes.

TMF and tonyv like this.
  19. tonyv

tonyv Well-Known Member

That's why the new wrx is more appealing to me atleast now with the new 6 speed.

Nhibbs likes this.
  20. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

I have been reading quite a bit about the new WRX engine over revving and being very difficult to drive at around town speeds, whereas I put my STI in Intelligent mode and it not only looks like a Camry but drives like one too :thumbup:

Jake underwood likes this.
  21. mike4king

mike4king Member

FWIW, I bought my '15 WRX because I DIDN'T want something that drove like a Camry.

22. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

That's the beauty of the STI, it's got multiple personalities (3) and they are just a click away from each other..nice bike btw

23. mike4king

mike4king Member

Thanks :) That's one of the reasons I wouldn't buy an STi. I wanted a nice car but it would take too much money into a car to get even close to keeping up with my bike. I'm happy with the WRX.

Nhibbs likes this.
  24. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

Yeah I struggled really hard in my decision, I debated for a while on a fully loaded WRX minus the CVT, but even now that might have been an option that way my wife can drive back when I have had a little too much adult beverage and apparently most of the experts really like how they pulled off the CVT. Then my son talked me into the STI, then after the auto show last year he talked me into Launch Edition..my wife's Jetta lease is up next year, I will make her get a CVT WRX at gunpoint if I have to..

tangledupinblu likes this.
  25. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

That is absolutely not true.

You can justify your purchase all you want but the FA20DIT is a much better motor. Period. End of story.
    The ringland issue with the EJ25 was never fixed and just because you never had a problem doesn't mean it isn't a real problem.
    I also never had a problem with my ringlands EVEN with a turbo upgrade and hooning it around a lot but I am not going to delude myself and say that it is just user error blowing all these engines. There have been a lot of 2015 sti engines already blown and a lot of them weren't even tuned.
    The whole problem is it is a crap shoot if your engine will pop or not. Of course you have a warranty but if/when something happens under warranty you better believe the dealership is only going to replace the shortblock or sometimes even just the piston that is bad.
    I have no dog in this fight (you do) and IMO the 2015 wrx is a better purchase for the money.

Ryan FailRad likes this.
  26. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

The transmission and differentials are for sure better but the price difference is ridiculous and you still get a ****ty engine.

27. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'll agree with the much better engine part after it's been proven, both in motorsport and in everyday use. New does not translate to better. Let's see what gremlins pop up in the FA20 in the future and maybe ten years from now you will be trashing the FA20 like you do the EJ...

28. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

Not anywhere near as good of a transmission as the STI 6spd

I agree its a better bang for your buck but the engine isn't proven yet and there have been issues with the direct injection.

It sucks that it didnt get an FA engine but I would say the Trans, Brakes and Suspension are worth $8200.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    drac77 likes this.
  29. Se7enrex

Se7enrex Well-Known Member

DRAC - I have had an 06 STI and an 10 STI both with popped motors completely stock under 30K miles - Oil pickup in one and piston issues in the 10. My point being that its all subjective, but overall the EJ25 in the STI's since 06+ have all had their run of issues that tend to present themselves early from my experience, yours was obviously different. The EJ25 is dated, and like the DSM crowd and the 4G63 its time to inject a little life into engineering. I LOVE Subaru but innovation has not been their strong suit lately. The 15WRX is a step forward and I think that's why many people prefer that - it represents where the brand is going and not where it has been. The successor in the STI is long overdue, and I don't think there were people jumping from the rooftops singing "God save the EJ, we have been blessed for another moon!"

The FA will have to end up in the STI eventually, and that's when I will JUMP at the chance to buy one. The trusty old bucket stance on the EJ has just got to die or else we are doomed to living with this crotchety beast for eternity

drac77 and Nhibbs like this.
  30. drac77

drac77 Well-Known Member

2017 supposedly is what I have been seeing for the FA and mayyyybe a slight redesign to look just a tad more like the concept. Don't get me wrong everyone, I am not trying to be an EJ evangelist, I am just going off my experiences and two buddies who took original ownership of these cars and had zero problems, granted I only had my 2011 WRX for three years but I was by no means gentle on it. Then again we are just stock fanboys and just change exhausts and run COBB OTS vanilla tunes at most. Poor uncle EJ gets quite a beating and I just stick up for him from time to time. Also by no means am I anti WRX I am blown away by the performance and fuel economy of the new engine, up until this year I never justified the STI money. The media got me, but luckily I agree with what they say and love the way this whore handles..

31. Se7enrex

Well the 15 STI is awesome - and I am super Jealous you have one, I have thought about it but am not in the right point to be doing that right now. I love your car, I just am excited to see what the next generation of motor can be!! I have owned so many EJ's and I JUST bought one for my swap - so I still like them, I just look at all the improvements other brands are making and I want to see Subaru do something bold, innovative, and performance focused.

But truthfully I want them to release a new BAJA or JUSTY remake so I can have my cake and eat it too

drac77 likes this.
  32. EricS

EricS Nooberator

I'm curious about this, are the 04/05 EJ257's less problematic for some reason?

33. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

The tune from the factory was not so lean I believe but the pistons are just as weak. Less strict emissions and whatnot.

34. Se7enrex

Yeah - the 05 has long been held as the best one on the block - it got the upgraded 5x114 and rear flares, updated dash, 1 year had passed since having this 2.5 in the states so they learned a bit, the tune was a bit more conservative/rich as I have heard as well. Supposed to be the most reliable of the STI's but its so subjective.

35. sinks88

sinks88 Active Member

You know, I went through this exact question my self....I did the research, I did the test drives....etc, etc. and now I have an STI.
    Biggest reasons I went STI: Brakes/Suspension/Diff Control/Wheels

buy the time I got all that in a WRX I'm over what I paid for the STI

Plus I'm pretty sure this is the fastest STI to date due to chassis overhaul. and it might end up being a unicorn. (new body style on the last year of the old motor platform)

drac77 and Ryan FailRad like this.
  36. STi_From_DSM

So I got a bug up my a$$ and contacted Nameless Performance just to see if the exhaust would match up. The guy said since the new wheelbase is longer, and the Y-mounting area has slightly changed. He did offer me a discount for being a repeat customer though.
    I'm looking forward to potentially owning a 2015 STi soon if the right deal comes along.

37. tonyv

tonyv Well-Known Member

evo x>new sti

Jake underwood likes this.
  38. STi_From_DSM

The new evos are fugly. They do have a slick dual clutch shifter on the wheel though.

39. tonyv

tonyv Well-Known Member

The new stis look almost exactly like the evo.................

40. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Make it sit like this and you won't need mudflaps!

image.jpg

41. DanWRX14

DanWRX14 Member

Kinda wanted to chime in here since I have a 2014 WRX and was a road track racer in a previous life... :)

So, I bought an almost new 2014 WRX last year - the WRX/STI used market SUCKED last year so I had no good options in the Spring,
    and I hated the 2015 body style, so I was sticking with the previous gen no matter what.
    There were a couple other used WRXs around town that were similar and only 1 STI with under 40k miles, and it was a new WRB STI for $35k.
    I really didn't want WRB, and I didn't want to pay another $8k to get it. Had there been an STI around $30k I would've gotten it...there are 5 for sale right now.

Like others have said, the biggest upgrades are the brake, trans, and suspension. However, I really didn't want the 6-speed and the DCCD - I just didn't care,
    and didn't think I would ever use the DCCD settings. And I didn't like the idea of shifting an extra gear, especially when they both spin the same RPMs at 70mph.
    Also, the 2011+ WRX 5-speed is a solid transmission - it's NOT the transmission from 2005 that everyone (still) complains about. I've never heard of anyone blowing up their WRX transmission in this generation, but I've heard of a few 6-speeds - mostly race cars, so that's a whole different story...

Onto the brakes - unless you add 50+ more HP/torque, there is no reason to have bigger brakes on a WRX. You would never notice a difference. This debate is just as old and popular as the drilled vs. slotted rotors, and some people just don't get it. Get some HP Plus pads and high temp brake fluid.

Suspension - for less than $2K you can get the GTWORX with RCE Yellows and pair that with 24mm sways and have a much better setup than any STI.

We're almost there...next is just a downpipe and a tune for $1K and your WRX is now more capable than the STI.

Of course some of this is personal preference because so many people love the 6-speed transmission for whatever reason, but for about $3k you can upgrade your WRX to an amazing car for far less money than buying a new STI. Unless you really want those shiny red/black Brembo 4-pot calipers to look at in the driveway, add another $1K to get a brake upgrade.

I will admit, the new WRX chassis is a huge upgrade (not convinced about the engine just yet), so unless the STI gets a much better engine upgrade in a few years, still don't see a reason to get a new STI over a new WRX.

Oh dang, forgot about the ringland issue debate - I have a long warranty so not concerned at all, BUT after doing some testing, my AFR hits about 11 - 11.5 at full boost at over 100 test runs, so the tune for my WRX seems to be exactly where it should be, which everyone thinks is the cause of cracked pistons (too lean, slap against the wall, break). So I don't feel any reason to get a tune either with this engine.

Just my $.02 - curious what others think about all this soapbox talk :)

42. STi_From_DSM

Mad stance bro!

43. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Most of what you wrote makes sense but this above is absolutely not true. The 2011+ wrx tranny is still weak and people blow them up all the time. It is slightly stronger than the 2005-2007 wrx transmission but it is basically just the same as the LGT gears (which people blow all the time also). The problem is the split case design and even with PAR or PPG upgraded 5MT gears people still blow them up with far less abuse than a stock STI 6MT will take.
    Not to mention your WRX has open front and rear diffs and a viscous center diff. It is terrible compared to the STI drivetrain and if you were a "road track racer" should be able to appreciate the front and rear LSD's not to mention see the value in the DCCD.
    That said, I agree the WRX is a better buy for the average person who just wants an awd turbo car so they can brag they have a "rally car" while they drive to work in rush hour traffic.
    How did you measure this AFR? If it was with the stock O2 sensor it is useless when in boost because of the placement of the sensor. Unless you have an aftermarket AFR sensor you actually have absolutely no idea what AFR you are running at full boost. I am not sure what you mean by "too lean, slap against the wall, break" but it doesn't sound like you understand enough about how engines work to comment on what causes the well documented failure of stock pistons.

It sounds like you are happy with your car and have justified your purchase to yourself which is all that matters. That doesn't mean the STI doesn't have a lot of real benefits over your generation of the wrx. The new models are a slight different story though. Once the new sti gets some form of the FA engine it will be great. I would still probably buy the new Focus RS though lol.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  44. clajiness

clajiness Well-Known Member

Nhibbs and tangledupinblu like this.
  45. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

image.jpg