2017 wrx blind spot detection mirrors

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Jason C, May 1, 2017.

1. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how the blind spot detection mirrors work? Do they have all the necessary hardware in the mirrors themselves and just require being wired up? Or is there other stuff involved within the car? Just curious because I do like the little sensor light in the corner of the mirror that notifies me if another car is in my blind spot, and I'd like to consider a mod to get this functionality if it is not too costly and at all feasible.

2. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 Well-Known Member

I just read on another forum someone said the sensors are not located in the mirrors, so it's not really possible to add factory blind spot monitoring to a car that didn't have it

Jason C likes this.
  3. Jason C

Thanks for the notice. Too bad. Was hoping it would be a swap and plug-n-play deal. I noticed on my mirrors there is a little small rectangular plug on the outside edge, leading me to think that perhaps that might be where the sensor would go.

4. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

There's a a sensor on each of the rear corners, behind the bumper cover. The mirrors only contain the indicator lights. You'd need the mirrors, sensors, harness/wiring, and control module. There are also functions built into the ECU and dash display so it would be a lot of work to do, if it's possible.

Jason C likes this.
  5. Jason C

Wow. That's a lot of stuff to do. Guess I'll just stick with the tried-and-true driving technique of not being lazy and just turning my fat head to look before merging. AFAIK, only the CVT models have available Eyesight monitoring system that includes the blindspot detection. Eyesight seems useful. I know if saved my friend once when he was slowly backing out from between two pickup trucks while some moron was ripping around the lot stupidly fast.

6. pleiades

pleiades Well-Known Member

Our '15 Legacy has the Eyesight package and it is useful. The cross-traffic monitoring is my favorite part because I often find myself backing out of a space between big trucks that I can't see around.