2017 WRX fog lights

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Jason C, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Jason C

Jason C Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I installed a set of projector fog light housings in my '17 WRX Limited and they give a much nicer even light beam than the stock housings. These projectors are supposedly able to withstand HID bulbs, so no worries about melting. I've currently got the H11 55W bulbs in them and they work out much better than the dim stock 19W H16 bulbs. I read the higher power H9 65W bulbs can fit in H11/H16 sockets, but require a slight modification of the tabs.

My worry about attempting to use the H9 bulbs is the wattage they draw compared to the stock 19W. Can the stock fog light wiring handle the 65W H9 bulbs?

Thanks.

2. unhguy78

unhguy78 Well-Known Member

What is the current draw? You can reference the wire gauge with the current draw via a standards chart (google) and see if you are within the safe operating range

Jason C likes this.
  3. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

This ^ current draw on a Incandescent bulb like the stock fog bulb will be different then that of an HID bulb.

4. Jason C

Thanks. That makes sense. My Google-fu gave me: Amperage = watts / volts. So, the H9 bulbs are 65W and I'm pretty sure the car operates at 14 volts when the engine is turning, so 65/14 = 4.64A. I'm guessing the wires to the fog connectors are something like 18 gauge give or take. I may end up going to LED bulbs later for longer lifespan.

5. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

This is probably apples to oranges due to the year difference but I've been running 100w fog light bulbs in my 03 WRX for years with no issues. I think factory ones are 55 watts.

6. Jason C

Wow, 100W? That's some serious light output. I'm guessing the fog light housings are metal. I don't know why, but the 2015+ stock fog lights use the 19W H16 bulb, which barely puts out any useable light.

7. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Do you have yellow lam on them... I forget, I want to run brighter bulbs but I have the lam and figured it would be too hot for that

8. Krazylegz1485

I don't think so? Are you talking the overlay stuff? If so, no. Mine are just clear.

9. Krazylegz1485

Bugeye fog lights are the old style big glass ones, so they probably can handle pretty intense heat. Obviously the wiring is more to be worried about but I've never had an issue with fuses or wires. The bulbs were labeled "off-road use only" of course and had a little tab built in to prevent them from going in. 2 seconds with the roloc disc and they're in. They make a significant difference when it's foggy or snowing.

10. unhguy78

unhguy78 Well-Known Member

Exactly, well googled. If you reference a standard's chart, you'll see that you are within the safe operating range of 18 gauge. If you are nervous you could always splice in a fuse, but this is relatively low current so I wouldn't worry about it. Let us know if you're successful!

11. Jason C

Yes, I did see 10A being kind of the safe upper limit for 18ga wire. What I learned from reading online is the wire itself isn't often the bottleneck, but it is the connector where issues can arise due to resistance and heat generated from said resistance potentially melting a plug.

Anyways, I ended up going with a set of 25W LED bulbs that supposedly put out more lumens than incandescent. These are $35 on Amazon and put out seemingly more light than the H11 55W bulbs I had in there. Not sure if it is the 6000K color temp that gives the illusion of brighter/more light, but it seems to match the factory LED headlights pretty well - just a tad on the bluer side. Guess I'll give these a try and see if I like the bluer light or the warmer H11 incandescent light. All the LEDs seem to only be in the 6000K range with nothing warmer except for the yellow bulbs.