2018 WRX Recall

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Queue, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Queue

Queue Well-Known Member

Hi,

While scheduling an oil change on Morries' Mtka website I received an active recall notice:
    Insufficient Tightening Torque of EPF Nuts Recall Code: WUK961. I then logged into the "MySubaru" site which said that there were no active recalls or service campaigns. A web search also indicates that there are not any recalls.

I called Morries. After a wait (the VIN came back invalid on their site) I was told that there was in fact a recall, related to the exhaust, which would require that I change my appointment leave my car (they will provide a loaner).

Mixed messages here.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!

2. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

As long as it is not a dangerous situation, I would just wait for the paper mailing to come to your house. I believe they have to contact the owner on file (which should not be an issue if you bought the car new) via USPS for recalls. The bigger the company the more the chaos as files of affected vehicles make their way from one department to another. I have no idea what an EPF is, much less whether it has nuts or not.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  3. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I don’t recall there being a torque specification on exhaust nuts/bolts. Weird

4. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

Exhaust Pipe Front ffs

5. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Must be the exhaust manifolds?

6. Queue

Queue Well-Known Member

Yep. The recall finally showed up on SOA site:
    Description
    On certain affected vehicles, the six (6) front exhaust pipe nuts at the cylinder heads may not have been tightened sufficiently due to variations in production. As a result, these nuts may become loose during use and cause exhaust leakage. A leak occurring at the front exhaust pipe may result in deterioration of emission performance. As a result, affected vehicle may fail to meet emission levels certified by the EPA and/or California ARB.

Safety Risk
    This is not safety related

Remedy
    Subaru retailers will inspect the 6 nuts securing the front exhaust pipe to the cylinder heads on all affected vehicles. If any of the 6 nuts are found to be loose or lost and / or exhaust gas leakage is identified at either of the connections to the cylinder heads, the retailer should replace the front exhaust pipe.

Thanks

7. Queue

Queue Well-Known Member

Thanks