20g turbo vs stock

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Cll, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Cll

Cll New Member

I bought a 02 wrx with a Walboro,800cc injectors and a 20g turbo it is supposedly tuned to 237hp. I also have the stock turbo I’m wondering should I leave it how I bought it or put the stock turbo back on and get it tuned?

2. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Well it's only a matter of time before it dies anyways, regardless of what you do to it, so it comes down to how much fun you wanna have between then and now.

Sure, there's a slight amount of sarcasm in there, but it seems like EJ20 death is inevitable. If it's currently properly tuned for all of the existing mods, just roll with it as is and don't drive like a moron.

3. blackozone

blackozone Well-Known Member

237 on a 20g seems pretty low. My 2.0 setup with a VF39 put down 252 on a Mustang dyno. If I were in your shoes, I'd do a health checkup on the engine and have it tuned again anyway.

4. Cll

Cll New Member

Ok thanks I just bought the car so I’m going to change the oil spark plugs and get it tuned again

tangledupinblu likes this.
  5. blackozone

Check your compression while you're doing spark plugs. It wouldn't hurt to make sure the engine is still good.

6. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

I was thinking the same thing. I would think that he should be somewhere in the 260-270 range with the 20g?

7. Cll

Cll New Member

Yea I thought 237 was low for a 20g and around 6500rpm it sounds like rev limiter or like its fuel cutting.But I thought it was supposed to rev to 7200rpm. Maybe the person I bought it from never tuned it and just put that turbo on? Also what is the average rpm boost should start hitting at cause it doesn't seem to make much power/boost tell after 4400rpm

8. blackozone

Stop railing the car until you check its health and get it tuned. Subarus do not like being treated like Hondas and it will punish you for the mistake.

Krazylegz1485 and GrawvyRobber like this.
  9. GrawvyRobber

GrawvyRobber Active Member

Jfc, settle down there turbo.

Why in the **** are you trying to push redline already?

Also you'll experience lag with that big boy. Td04 you'll hit boost around 3300rpm. What intercooler? Top or front mount?

Krazylegz1485 likes this.
  10. Cll

Cll New Member

I have the stock top mount

11. Fienix

Fienix Well-Known Member

Get a VF39/43 and a decent tune. I got a ton of miles on that setup (before headgaskets went), it will spool faster and if you tune for E85 you'll put down more power.