30k Service - Dealer or Do it myself

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Jason Hex, May 15, 2017.

1. Jason Hex

Jason Hex Member

Total newb (also my 2nd post here) with a 2014 XT - wondering how hard it is to learn how to perform some of the items listed on Subaru's 30k service sheet. Morrie's quoted me 382 - which seems pretty reasonable for a dealership price. Thanks for any advice.

2. BroCo

BroCo Moderator Staff Member

3. ocie

ocie Well-Known Member

Are you referring to the 30,000-mile maintenance that Subaru of America recommends? See here: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/maintenance-2014.html

If Morrie's is saying you need to do more than what is listed in the link I provided, they're likely up-selling you on unnecessary service.

If you're a total noob, you can still replace your engine oil and filter on your own - very easy. The brake fluid replacement may be a little much, so I would either just have Morrie's do that service or contact JM and get a quote.

4. Jason Hex

Jason Hex Member

Great - thanks - yes it's the 30k "Major Service" Subaru recommends. Thanks ocie and Broco for the tips.

So maybe just get a quote from JM on the individual items outlined in the service schedule: oil and filter, cabin filter, engine filter and brake fluid, rotate tires - etc?

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  5. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Multiple quotes never hurt on anything.

6. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Did Morries Minnetonka know that you are an MNSubaru member? They offer discounts on parts and service for members.

7. Stormtrooper1

Stormtrooper1 Well-Known Member

At least replace the cabin filter on your own. It's like a $12 filter off Amazon, or a $69 charge from the dealer.