4eat won't go in drive

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by Silky21L, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Silky21L

Silky21L Well-Known Member

2006 fxt, 200k miles
    Started missing shifts when cold last week, now it won't go in to drive. The last two start ups I've waited fifteen minutes and it finally will start rolling and grab 1st gear. Once it has made it to second gear and gets on the road it acts completely normal. Snap on scan tool shows no transmission codes. Is this even worth diagnosing, or should I just replace it with a used one?

2. Chux

Chux Well-Known Member

Sounds like textbook low fluid level. Have you checked it? Fluid condition? Maintenance?

Silky21L likes this.
  3. Silky21L

Drained the trans oil pan, replaced trans filter, and refiled with oem atf 3,800 miles ago. The first time it gave me trouble I checked and the fluid level was on the low side. I was able to add one whole quart, now it is at the full mark. No change in symptom after adding fluid though.

4. Silky21L

First code came on today, second gear incorect ratio. It was flashing the AT temp light and would not shift out of second gear. Cleared the code, restarted the car and everything was normal(ish). Other symptoms include slamming harshly into the next gear when fluid temps are low, and torque bind anytime when turning sharp in parking lots.

5. JasonoJordan

JasonoJordan Well-Known Member

Sounds like front diff is toast.

6. Silky21L

I just want to stress how flawless it works once it warms up and gets going! I have an hour long drive to work. Ten minutes down the road this thing downshifts, upshifts, and behaves perfectly normal. If I restart the car within an hour of stopping it has zero issues. I just dont get it. I might go yank a 2008 N/A Forester 4eat at the junk yard tomorrow. Can anyone confirm that it will be a direct replacement?