91 non-oxy fuel

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by Cotts612, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

Ive seen 91 non-oxy fuel at a couple BP's around town, and was wondering what the non-oxy means/does. Is it higher octane essentially? Does anyone run this fuel? Just curious if there are any advantages or disadvantages. Thanks.

2. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

Doesn't have ethanol in it.

3. Cotts612

Cotts612 Well-Known Member

I've read that you get better milage, but also read the opposite. Anyone know for sure? Wondering if our Subies would like that fuel more than 93 with ethanol?

4. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

My car has always seemed peppier on non-oxy...but i can't back it with Science. Only mah butt dyno.

tehfuzz and Cotts612 like this.
  5. pillboy

pillboy Well-Known Member

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=239.791

Take note of the exemptions starting with subdivision 10. I didn't see any specific for Subarus. I have been under the impression that non-oxygenated fuel is allowed to be used only in certain cases and that regular passenger car use is not one of those cases.

6. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Tru dat.

From my understanding it is to be run in "off road vehicles"....ATV's, snowmobiles, mowers, etc.

(and subarus of course because rally cars) :facepalm:

Kneel Weiß and pillboy like this.
  7. AWD Alex

AWD Alex Member

I'm pretty sure I read on Cobb's website that their OTS tunes are meant to contain at least 5-10% ethanol to be safe.

I run non-oxy in my race bike and dirt bikes.

8. Noone

Noone Well-Known Member

I use non oxy in the nova, boat, lawnmower and snow blower. Other stuff in the daily drivers.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  9. emiliorescigno

emiliorescigno Well-Known Member

This is the most important line of the law regarding non-oxy fuel. Feel free to use it in your car if it's at least 20 years old! (I use it in my '91 Supra whenever I can.)

10. tehfuzz

tehfuzz Well-Known Member

Paging @Curry for science, and well the magic of currytology.

Nhibbs likes this.
  11. Curry

Curry Well-Known Member

I will do my best to do as much of this....(see below) as possible. Non-oxygenated fuel doesn't break down as quickly because it doesn't absorb moisture like Oxygenated fuel does. This is because it doesnt have ethanol in it like @KA-T_240 said. On a daily driver modern car, it makes no sense to run Non-Oxy fuel.

12. Ravi

Ravi Member

I ran a half tank of 91 non-oxy this week in the STi. I was near empty and it was the only station close.

Car ran just fine, pulled pretty hard in fact. Mileage was terrible though.

13. Sjogun

Sjogun Active Member

I kept going back and forth, and evey time I filled up with the other one, I thought it felt better. I switched permanently to 93 now because I got a bad tank of 91 last fall. My knock readings were over 60(arbitrary A'pexi Power FC number), and anything over 60 is not good. Never had a problem with 93, so I'm sticking with that.

Cotts612 likes this.
  14. project/driven

project/driven Well-Known Member

The ethanol in the 93 actually increases the knock threshold/temps. If your car was tuned for oxy gas just stick with it. The non oxy really is intended for vehicles that may sit for some time between use, or for older cars whose rubber fuel components are not meant to handle the alchohol. On a good tune you should be able to run more boost/timing on e10 than non oxy

Fastsuby likes this.