94-95 Honda Accord Spats Alternative

Discussion in 'DIY Instructables' started by John Yang, May 27, 2013.

1. John Yang

John Yang Well-Known Member

Thanks to 2.cinco for the idea, I would have never though about doing this Idea, Its just perfect! well about, at least for my taste. So since I saw it, I thought that since it works, yet the accord has a top layer that you can actually just screw onto, or use double sided tape or whatever, I decide I should do it that way in which I did but Flubyux2 got to it first since it was too cold here in MN, I couldn't do it until now.

WITH SO MUCH LONG WORDS, THINGS WILL BE ABBREVIATED.
    So what to start off:

Bent nose pliers
    Socket wrench
    10mm socket
    8mm Long socket
    phillips (preferably a long small phillip head)
    sissors/shears/anything you can use to cut.
    Any sort of screw/bolt with an ending nut. (S/B)
    Any Drill/Power tool
    Drill bit (any size)
    Marker

optional:

Double Sided Tap (DST)
    Zip ties (ZT)
    Washers
    heat gun
    sand paper
    Plastic push/pull pins (if you break any of yours)

Step 1:
    I didn't take picture of this step since i don't think it was needed to. First of all, go to your local junkyard or find someone parting or selling the rear spat. you don't need the middle part as its no good for our bumpers. Once you have that, go back home and take off Rear bumper. How to do this; take off the tail lights by using the 8mm long socket to take off the four nuts on the studs of the tail lights. From here you can use the optional heat gun to melt the black sealing.. it gets pretty sticky, but for me, I just unplugged bulbs and pulled.. HARD! once there you can use the bent needle nose pliers to pull the push/pull plugs or you can use flat head to start it off. If your's is old like mines.. THEY BREAK/ So be cautious from this point. after that there are some plugs under the bumper, pull those as well. Then also take any 10mm bolts you see too. There should be 2 on each side one where the 1/4 panel is and one under the bumper. After this, pull the bumper out a little bit and the license plate lights are revealed inside. just grab the the long small head phillips and unscrew the four screw. once you get that out, just tug and pull on it and it comes right off. ADVENTURE TIME TO THE WORKSHOP!
    [​IMG]

Step 2:
    During this step and through on out, make you measure things carefully. It's better to cut less than more. Honestly, throughout these step, you can really do whatever you want because technically, you are "customizing" it yourself to your flavor/taste. Flubyux2 left a little slanted part on his passenger side as for me I wanted both sides to be equal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

step 3:
    Mark the spats with whatever you feel like marking. At the time, I couldn't find any paint pen or silver marker so I just went with black permanent and hoped for the best. I'm amazed it actually showed!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

step 4:
    Use your scissors/shears/what ever you use to cut thick material with. Its pretty simple on the edges but once you get to the corners, its gets pretty tricky. Again, safer to cut a little at a time than more than what you wanted. For me, I just left it at that.
    [​IMG]
    This one didn't have a flashed picture but you should get the idea.
    [​IMG]

2. John Yang

John Yang Well-Known Member

Step 5:
    Once you are done with the cutting of the spats, use a paint marker or paint if you want. During this time, I had bought one on my way back to get some screws. Align the spats back to how you want it and mark the drill holes.
    [​IMG]

Step 6:
    Drilling time! I didnt show pictures of me doing it because it was just me doing the job. Once drilled, put a screw/bolt in the drilled holes holding down the spat to see if fitment is right. If not, then redrill. Its ok if this happens, its being covered anyways.
    [​IMG]

STEP OPTIONAL!! RECOMMENDED!
    Now that you have it measured, cut and fitted to your liking, go clean off your spats. Scrub it with soap or degreaser or whatever. Just get all that dirt, dried gasoline and residue off. Once cleaned off and dried, apply double sided tape to however you see fit.
    [​IMG]

Step 7:
    Fit the S/B with washers into the holes to hold it down. (if you did the optional step, do this carefully; first fit the S/B on then taking one of them off, slowly lifting the spat and peel the other side of the DST. Slowly work your way around the spat. If in such an occasion you mess up by peeling the other side of the double sided tape and put it on in a way you didn't like or the measurements weren't right, then you'd probably have to heat shrink and rub it off or maybe use goo-gone or something similar. Once its gone, just give it a wipe with alcohol or electro wash and redo step optional.) Now that you have it held down, for me I used another washer then tightened the S/B with a wing nut. I only hand tightened down with the wing nut because I knew it would be easier this way.
    [​IMG]

STEP OPTIONAL 2: ZIP TIES (ZT)
    I was a little iffy about it since I am one of them "perfectionist" so I did two extra steps and zip tied around it as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STEP OPTIONAL 3: SANDING
    I decided not to do this step but if you feel like it, sand the edges that you cut IF YOU WANT. I could careless about it since its pretty unnoticeable.

now that your done with one side, review if you need to go over anything. If not, repeat process with the other side.

Once finished, reverse step 1 and get no plastic push/pull pins if you broke yours from step one. I know I did.

FINISHED PRODUCT!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Credit goes to RS25

NOW GO HAVE FUN WITH YOUR CHEAP SPAT!!