A Family Affair—-2018 ISM WRX

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by 007, Jun 1, 2018.

1. 007

007 Active Member

Greetings all. Pitched in with my kids for this new 6-Speed 2018 ISM WRX Premium. My fifth Subaru and second WRX. Their second Subaru. 4.7 miles on it ordered “Straight Outta Japan”. Ha ha. Mike Clapper at Morrie’s Minnetonka was great to deal with. He knows his Subarus and is a fellow enthusiast. Best car salesman I have dealt with in a long long time. Please go see him when the time comes.

Came with:
    Kicker Audio
    STi Front Spoiler
    STi Rear Quarter Spoiler
    STi Carbon Fiber Trunk piece.
    Engine Block Heater
    Vortex Generators

Purchased and Installing soon:
    Mobile Installation Services window tint.
    STi side skirts
    Subaru Impreza AC Fan Cover (fits WRX)
    Rally Armor Polyurethane
    Subispeed F1 Brake/ Fog light
    Weather Tech Trunk and Interior
    Subaru Factory Roof Rack
    Perrin Engine Cover Fix
    Hella Supertones w/ Perrin brace.

Teaching new drivers the manual transmission is humorous and challenging. The WRX is a good car to learn on though. They have learned that you just can’t watch a YTube video about manual transmissions and away you go. However, a couple lessons and we are now out in the traffic! Hills still scare the newbies even with “hill assist” ON. Had to hurry and switch seats in the middle of traffic a few times when they got “stuck”.
    The 2018 is a really good car. Much better overall than my ‘09 WRX even if it’s not as fast to 60 mph. Updates as we will be working on the car soon. Thanks for viewing.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    JuStaWRX, klutz and tangledupinblu like this.
  2. 007

007 Active Member

3. ryjacobs

ryjacobs Well-Known Member

Looks nice!

007 likes this.
  4. tangledupinblu

tangledupinblu Event Coordinator Staff Member

Any vids of the stalls in traffic?

Lololol, i kid. They don’t need the extra pressure of a GoPro in their faces:)

5. 007

007 Active Member

Ha ha. No. They are at the point where they are fine but not necessarily great .......unless traffic gets thicker or something unexpected happens and then they go back to their auto transmission muscle memory. They might brake suddenly, for example, and then forget the clutch....so stall. Still trouble on hills. They get nervous when they are first at a stoplight.

It’s two steps forward and one step back. They are very happy when things progress and then a little frustrated or embarrassed when they realize they have a ways to go yet. The stock tune and rev hang on this car doesn’t help and the first to second gear transition is the hardest for them to do and very hard to do smoothly. They are just learning to let the revs drop between first and second to make it easier. After second gear it’s smooth sailing.

Downshifts are a mixed bag and the gear indicator doesn’t work while the clutch is in so I have to really watch what they are doing there. Reverse is also tricky for some reason as the clutch needs to be slipped and that is all clutch and throttle feel which they don’t have yet.

They are having fun and I am too. Really nice car but not easy to drive smoothly through first and second. I like all the details they changed in the 2018.

6. tangledupinblu

I learned on an ‘87 Fird Ranger 5-speed. I’m sure that it was a little more forgiving than a 2018 Subaru. Hahaha. Glad that they’re picking it up! And good on ya dad for teaching them properly by teaching them a manual transmission. My wife still can’t drive a manual at 30+ years old. Wish that she would have been taught how at their age!

007 likes this.
  7. 007

007 Active Member

Thank you. They are good kids or I would never have even considered it. They all want to learn. There are probably easier cars to learn on but once they get it then they are driving a WRX! And they are already Subaru fans. The Forester is off at college. Best car ever. Also, stalling at a stop light or the occasional less than smooth shift isn’t harmful to the car........especially when I see the abuse they take on YouTube.

I started by looking at used WRX’s for us but they are very close to new car prices and a lot have been modified or otherwise abused. No warranty. I even looked for a blown up 02-07 to rebuild but no luck. And those are still expensive for year and mileage. So, went with the new one.

My youngest says he wants to go to a “Subaru meet”. Do they organize those on this site?

8. Krazylegz1485

Krazylegz1485 Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and sign up the family for the LAX Cruise. Tons of Subaru's to see and also a bunch of sweet Subaru prizes to be had. And comes with an awesome lunch and a sweet windy road on top of that.

tangledupinblu likes this.
  9. tangledupinblu

How young is the youngest? Most of the meets organized on here start and end at the bar. Lol

With exception of the LaXCruise. It’s been kid friendly since it’s inception!

10. 007

007 Active Member

Youngest is almost 16. Learning on the Forester for almost a year now. We have been out a few times in low low traffic situations in the WRX learning the manual transmission. We will sign up and be there for the LaCrosse adventure if I am in town.
    I am sure we would both enjoy it.
    Everyone just stay a few car lengths back at stoplights and hill starts. Ha ha

11. 007

007 Active Member

Do they make “STUDENT DRIVER” stickers for the WRX? Ha ha

12. tangledupinblu

Bwahahaha!!!
    I’m sure that we could whip something up!

13. 007

007 Active Member

Ha ha ha ha

14. Squiggly

Squiggly Squiggly

Glad to see you on here, Bruce! Also, thank you the kind words.

Mike

15. 007

007 Active Member

Mike! You owe me $50. Ha ha. See you this week. 13th.

16. 007

007 Active Member

Installed the F1 brake light and some Carbon Fiber license plate frames today. It’s dark and not much room under the rear bumper but once the light goes in it moves quickly.
    Not sure the police are going to enjoy the F1 type flashing going on back there during braking so that feature is off now.
    A small service item needs looked at by the dealer and then it’s Rally Armor and a roof rack and STi side skirts. Having some fun with the kids.

17. tangledupinblu

I doubt that you’ll catch any grief running it in the F1 style mode. I ran flashing LED brake lights for a couple years without any problems. I’d run it and if I received a warning, then i’d “consider” turning it off...but probably wouldn’t. Hahaha. Because i’m a rebel.:alien:

18. 007

007 Active Member

Ha ha. Well, it’s off for now. It is bright and very noticeable. At night or in traffic I bet the flashing gets irritating to the person behind me.

We’ll see. It’s cool but it still does a great job increasing braking awareness when it’s not flashing. Very bright.

After seeing it flashing in the driveway tonight after it got dark, I am thinking the police will not let it pass on a WRX.

Maybe i’ll ask a cop I know. See what he says.

19. tangledupinblu

That sounds like a good idea!

20. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Congrats! Your kids are very lucky! I have enjoyed following this thread as I feel a lot of personal connection to your experience!

My dad bought his '02 WRX when I was about 16, and I still remember going out for drives with him in it, thinking, "this is it, this is my dream car!" Subarus/cars have always been a strong connecting point between my dad and I. Fast forward a few more years, I buy my first WRX. Loved it. Had a lot of fun with it. Moved on to a Forester XT, and now I go back and forth about if I want to get back to the WRX again. In the mean time, my dad also had a great experience with Mike, and recently got a 2018 STi (DGM Limited) through him, and he is always up for a ride! We both have been very impressed with the 2018, and the improvements over the generations.

It's great to have a car hobby/interest/connection with family! Keep the stories coming!

Aecklund11, 007 and tangledupinblu like this.
  21. tangledupinblu

Amen brother! I put our 11 month old in the BRZ for the first time yesterday. She looked around with a smile on her face in wonder(used to the back of the minivan). She was giddy and cooing when i’d rev the motor and when we’d go around corners! Lol.
    EDBDFDCF-2005-4FF4-93EE-D19BD2FD5736.jpeg
    Took this pic before we even backed out of the driveway! Hahaha!

JuStaWRX and ocie like this.
  22. 007

007 Active Member

Fantastic.

23. 007

007 Active Member

Thanks for reading all. Happy to see Mike Clapper got another vote for Subaru salesman of the year. Ha ha

Next group addition is Rally Armor. That should be Wednesday or Thursday.

The kids initially ordered black with red letters which arrived as black with maroon letters. I just hate that Subispeed will not pick up a telephone. It takes 5 minutes to resolve something on the phone vs 2 days of emails. Also, their first response was that “all the ones in back look the same”.
    So, Rally Armor got involved and said that those are most definitely NOT the Red letters we typically print. We then exchanged for black with silver letters. Subispeed Grade: C-

We have to make a plan for this though......and please chip in out there if anyone has experience. Our car came with the STi rear quarter fairings on it. These attach to the car in the same place that the rally Armor does. The STi bits are held with 2 screws and some sort of adhesive. I think we will stare at in the garage a day or two and hope a plan formulates. I just may have the dealer do it......for the back tires anyway.

After that: Subaru OEM roof rack crossbars.

24. 007

007 Active Member

I voted for the Subaru Forester XT actually. Kids outvoted me in short order. I also thought a lifted outback or a modded Crosstrek would be fun too........but happy we have another WRX. We are doing all the “mods” together which are all cosmetic. We are in for the LaCrosse trip if I am in town!

JuStaWRX and tangledupinblu like this.
  25. tangledupinblu

Looks like the rear flaps will mount over the rear spats to me. The screw holding the spat on will need to come out. Pull the screw/plug out of the spat, lay rally armor on there, put the screw back in through both.

I tried finding a YouTube install video for you, but i came up empty handed.

26. 007

007 Active Member

Ok. I will look at that, thank you. I was thinking that the metal bracket for the Rally Armor has to go underneath the spat. I will try it both ways.

27. 007

007 Active Member

ADAFF1A3-185E-4E02-8B6C-0D0AE58CBB66.jpeg 5CFD667C-2C40-4B6E-B9DE-20AB861B4222.jpeg CD13547A-F124-4962-ACC5-C0C68BED9EAD.jpeg A5F09B9D-C2F9-4081-9CA4-A7AB1C941AEB.jpeg A5F09B9D-C2F9-4081-9CA4-A7AB1C941AEB.jpeg Installed the fan motor cover awhile back. This is a MUST for any 2015+ WRX owner. Maybe 45$. Takes 2 minutes.

Had the STi side “fairings” installed at the dealer since I have no lift and not enough jacks at home for a quality job. So, STi front lip, sides and rear quarter spats now. I like them. Kids really like them.

Front Rally Armor is on which keeps the sides clean. Because of the rear quarter STi spats, I will have to fabricate something to make the rear Rally Armor and the STi bits work together. The metal bracket and the plastic spacer are not made to be used with the STi part installed.

Kicker Audio in the doors and now Kicker audio tweeters installed also. Nicer than stock and an easy install. Much better than stock audio but NOT great. If you have to have good or great audio, skip the Kicker stuff and have a good sound system installed......probably a new head unit too. I personally did not buy the WRX for sound and the Kicker units are fine.

About 650 miles on it. First oil change at 1000 miles and I will install the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve. Then, the kids can change it going forward. Using Pennzoil Ulta Platinum Synthetic and Subaru filters.

Carbon Fiber Trunk lip on back order. 8 weeks.

Some car pics.

Attached Files:

JuStaWRX likes this.
  28. klutz

klutz Well-Known Member

Pics look great! What % tint did you go with on the windows, they look great with the car!

29. 007

007 Active Member

Thank you for viewing!

It may be SLIGHTLY darker than MN legal. It looks way darker from the outside and in pics than in person. The dark interior makes it look darker as well. With the sunroof open, it looks much much lighter. It does, however, really make it nice inside as far as cutting out sun glare and making the A/C more than sufficient even for the hottest days. Plus, I think it looks good as well.

30. 007

007 Active Member

So. For any still following this. I called the Minnesota State Patrol regarding the flashing function of the F1 brake light.
    The answer is: It depends on the patrolman. If it comes from the factory installed that way........like new VW SUV’s.....it is legal. This is also how factory window tint on trucks, SUV’s and minivans works.

Since we are installing a part as an accessory........even though the car was manufactured with a space for the part AND it is installed from the factory in Japan ( as a fog light)....it is going to depend on your explanation and your attitude IF you get stopped. Anything increasing safety is good. Anything screaming boy racer or “F you other people on the road” is not going to be good.

JuStaWRX and minnesotanice like this.
  31. 007

007 Active Member

Installed the Subaru Factory Cargo Crossbars made for Subaru by Thule of Sweden. Nice fit and quality hardware.
    The 2018 WRX’s went back to integrating the hard points for these carriers into the roof straight out of the factory.
    Looks pretty good too on the silver.

I have bike carriers and a cargo basket on order.

Also, a side benefit is that it camouflages the WRX as your everyday Camry type grocery and bike hauler. Great if kids are driving it.

A97B8851-035F-4601-ABEF-532EC9CCFACC.jpeg 109DB22A-BA4B-4805-B51D-9915650D11D3.jpeg 1E1297A8-AB88-4140-8E4B-6C7642C1987E.jpeg

32. 007

007 Active Member

Got the WINTER TIRES setup ready to roll. My 2018 WRX came with 18” wheels. I ordered 17” Sparco Drifts and some 245/45R17 Michelin X-Ice XI3 winter rubber. Same width but more sidewall and same diameter as my factory 18” wheel-tire combo. These Michelin’s are one of very few winter tires with an actual mileage rating. It is 40,000 miles.....which is quite a few winters.

I also purchased the TPMS sensors since this car chimes it’s TPMS warnings and you get a yellow light you have to stare at.. Also got the tools to recalibrate the new sensors with the car. Now, it’s easy in-your-own-garage tire changes for winter/ summer driving and no lights, chimes or dealer visits.

The Sparcos are made by OZ Racing and look OK in my opinion. Not a shiny black.....but not true flat black either. Supposedly a little lighter than stock wheels too. Came with centering rings and all the hardware.

EDBF2736-97AB-441F-8ECA-403D00B45A46.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  33. 007

007 Active Member

In other news......spotted this in Des Moines a few days ago. “V8 BAIT”. Great license plate. STi I think.

It definitely was NOT all show and no go. When the light turned it was loud and fast and that is the last I saw of it.

16A1646A-19D2-43EC-916A-8F966D958DCE.jpeg

34. 007

007 Active Member

8EB79393-DE34-437E-96C1-DD9E61DEE34F.jpeg 4BBC2868-9041-49F3-AB8D-7EAA40772EF5.jpeg View attachment 28310

Having fun so far in the 2018 WRX.

One dealer item caused from suspension component(s) not torqued to spec from Japan. It caused a very annoying popping from the rear suspension at low speeds over even the smallest bumps. Morries did a great job diagnosing and repairing the offending sway bar linkage. Checked the rest too. Otherwise great car at almost 3000 miles as you would hope.

Son is driving it to school occasionally. Doing a great job.

Winter tires at the end of October. Installed WeatherTech mats front and rear and trunk. Great product. Had some snow north of Minneapolis this morning!

Just installed the Seibon Carbon Fiber OEM style wing. A little over priced but a flawless product with a nice deep clear coat. Looks so sharp on the car.

Stock tune is still a little irritating........all the timing and boost pulls etc just as the fun starts. I will stay for the entirety of the warranty and then “fix” the car. So that is a little disappointing. Still like the car very much.

JuStaWRX and tangledupinblu like this.