Acceptable Conduct in Tech/Maintenance Threads

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by readymix, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

Hello everyone,

Today I'd like to point out some tips for how you, the user, should act in technical threads.

I, like many others, have a desire to help others achieve their goals...or just help in general. And while eagerness is a virtue in this endeavor, it can also make a fool out of you if you aren't careful. But by following some simple rules and courtesies, we can all have a helpful, knowledgeable experience in the Modifications/Maintenance/Technical Forum.

1) First and foremost, if you don't know anything about the topic, or you think that your knowledge is coming from unverifiable sources (Nasioc Trolls, 16 year olds), it may be in your best interest to just stay silent. Posting unverifiable or questionable information may cause more harm than good if it isn't a proven cure for the problem. If this is your first car, and your first Subaru, and someone is asking questions about boost or tuning or whatever, don't make stuff up or pretend to be an expert. Just sit back, and learn from the experts so that one day, you'll have soaked up enough knowledge to be an expert too. Expertice comes from experience. Alot of the guys on here have been in the 'game' for quite some time, and have seen and done just about everything you could possibly imagine. Hand built motors, insane turbo setups, tubbed out chassis, electronics nightmares, any sort of maintenance...you name it, there is likely someone that has seen it or dealt with it roaming these forums. Hell, there are even certified Subaru Dealership technicians roaming about on here, along with other service staff from those dealerships. Part information, maintenance, diagnosis...someone here is going to have the info you need.

2) Here in America, we speak English. If you have a question about what words are used in the English language and what they mean, we have dictionaries. These dictionaries tell you how to spell the word, what it means, and how it is used. Grammar can be an issue, so try your best.
    Look, we all want to learn and understand our cars...but how can we do that if we can't understand what you are trying to tell us? This isn't a text message, or your favorite online videogame, this is a discussion forum. Here we discuss things in proper English if possible. When someone wants to search for answers later, they will likely search using normal words using normal English spelling.

3) If you ask for advice on a technical forum, do NOT ignore it or berate it. What makes a forum like this flow is for people to ask questions and get answers to their questions with information they can use to solve problems. If you are going to ask for advice, you had better keep an open mind about the answers you will receive. If you start a thread like "OMG I want 30PSI and 500 horsepower, I've got 1500 bucks to spend, can I do it? What parts should I buy? I heard I need a BOV for this." and someone gives you the proper answer "not possible, and a BOV is the least of your worries" DO NOT INSULT THEM AND TELL THEM THEY ARE IDIOTS AND THAT THEY ARE WRONG. If we are to keep the knowledgeable folks around for tech help, it would be wise not to drive them away every time they try to help you out. These people are here to help you, they know this stuff by experiencing it over time. And if they don't have a solid answer for you, they know where to direct you to get a good answer.

4) Have as much information as possible when asking questions. Also, don't be surprised if someone wants more info than you've given. Sometimes what you think is pertinent isn't what we're looking for. And we may ask for more information to assist you. Don't be alarmed or think that you are jumping through hoops. We want to give you the most informed decision we can. And the best way to do that is to collect as much info as possible so it is like we are right there with you next to the car.

Hopefully, this forum becomes a place where you can find good information, and get good advice from some very knowledgeable people. Please take this list of guidelines to heart as you browse this forum and start new threads.

Thank you

-Readymix
    President MNSOC

2. Ryan

Ryan Sled drifting master

Here are a few helpful items to start a thread in the Modifications/Maintenance/Technical forum. This should help get you an answer quickly without people having to ask a bunch of questions.

Thread Title: Put something that is relevant to your issue. "I need help" or "Look here please!" doesn't explain anything about your issue. Try using more descriptive words such as "Clunk when shifting into 3rd gear" or "Need assistance with install of VF39"

Body of thread: *ALWAYS* include what kind of car you have.
    Year, Make, Model, and car modifications (when applicable) should be in your first post. It doesn’t matter if you think everyone knows what you drive or if you have a picture of your car as your avatar. Some new people to the board might be able to bring information to your questions that you’ve never meet before.

Be as descriptive as possible. Try to best explain your issue. Vague words such as “I hear a squeak†doesn’t help. Explain when you hear the squeak, what you’re doing at that time, what RPM’s / Gear / Speed you are at and even what road you are on at the time. All that information can better pinpoint where the issue may be.

Pictures > words. Most people have a camera in some way, shape, or form. Even if it’s your crappy cell phone, try your best to get a clear picture of your issue when possible. Some cell phone providers allow you to picture-text message to an e-mail address. Anything to help others understand your issue will help you get quicker results. This site is great because they will host your pictures for you, unlike some others where you need to host your own pictures then link them to your thread.

Use proper grammar. People who are helping you don’t want to read your text-message style post. These people are offering you free help which you would normal pay huge dollars at the dealership to get answers for. Spend the extra 5 minutes to run your post though a spellchecker and use complete words. “i r dont get y my turbo doest work†is a pain to read.

ALWAYS REMEMBER: Search for your issue before you post! Even if you find a post like your issue, link it to your post. Showing people that you took the extra time to try to figure out your answer will result in less flaming and more respect.

3. readymix

readymix ...Lest ye be trod upon... Staff Member

I am bumping this because, apparently, we're back to square one again.

Specifically the part about "when given advice, take it." The Mod/Maintenance tech forum isn't the place where you go to suggest something stupid and get your back patted for it. It's where you go when you need expert advice. And if you think you know more than the experts you're asking the question of, then keep your mouth shut and just do whatever it is you think is right. I am getting sick of seeing clueless idiots ask for advice on a problem, only to turn around and tell experienced individuals that gave them the advice they requested that their advice is crap.
    Those of you that wish to white knight these morons, guess again. From now on, it is essentially open season on those that permeate and progress this behavior. If you act stupid in a maintenance thread, or you come in to back up your buddy who is ignoring sound advice and doing whatever he thinks is 'a good idea,' then any insults/degradation/comedy that ensues at your expense will be ignored by management. Some of you need a hard learn on how to take advice. This may be the only way to do that without giving some of the less forgiving moderators an aneurism.

CLIFFS NOTES: If you ask for advice, and get good advice, and decide to not do what you were advised to do and find yourself in a heap of failure, don't expect us to come running to your rescue. And if your buddies come to your rescue and draw the ire of the rest of the non-idiot user base, we wont rescue them either.

Jim C, phi11, LawnMaster and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.