"Administrative" ticket for tint

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by qstarin, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qstarin

qstarin Well-Known Member

So I'm up in my home town for Christmas and I'm going from my grandma's to my sister's last night.

All of a sudden there's cherries in my rear.

So the cop says, "What was that back there?"

I'm like, "Huh?"

He says, "You came sliding around that corner."

I say, "Well, the roads are covered in snow - it is slippery." (I probably goosed it a bit - but nothing much, seriously)

He says, "Well, I don't see any other cars sliding around."

I think, "Well, asshat, don't be such a douche over nothing - I'm obviously not drinking and driving, just go back to harassing other people. F*** head."

He says, "Roll your window up a bit. Your tint is WAY too dark."

I tell him, "I don't know what it is, was on the car when it came to MN from FL. And as for sliding, this car puts power to the rear wheels - it tends to kick out a bit on snowy roads."

So, he gives me what he calls an "administrative" ticket. Says if I send in the $60 within 10 days that's it - doesn't go anywhere, not on any records, etc. Says if I don't, he'll have to write out a state ticket.

So, what would be the "state ticket"?

I mean, I figured eventually this may happen, since I was pretty sure it was 35 tint, but I'm wondering what you guys think.

Should I pay the "administrative" or say f it and wait for the state one?

My concern is 1.) the state ticket could be more 2.) the state ticket will show anytime I get my license plate ran and if I don't remove the tint - well, more tickets.

2. scoobypwnz201

scoobypwnz201 Well-Known Member

not to thread jack but i got pulled over for the SAME EXACT REASON on christmas eve...i think it was stupid hes like "you were sliding everywhere around that corner" im like well..do you SEE the rear tire its messed up! look at the dent look at the camber its all messed...hes like well lemme see your license..so he takes it two minutes later hes like well...this is a verbal warning im like okay whatever bye!

god i wanted to get out of that car and beat him with a crowbar...

3. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

God forbid they do their jobs. Other people are perfectly capable of cornering without kicking the end around. If they see it, they'll call you on it. I'm guilty of it as well, and if I get pulled over for it I'll deserve it. And the whole "I wanted to beat him with a crowbar" thing makes me giggle and :roll: . Mostly :roll:

As far as the tint goes, if it's darker than what's allowed (and coming from FL, I'm guessing it's well over what MN allows) then you've got two choices. You can continue to keep getting pulled over and likely ticketed (especially if you're anywhere near Eden Prairie) or you can get the tint removed and get something that's legal for MN.

4. SomethingsWrong

SomethingsWrong Well-Known Member

I have a State ticket to pay right now. (2nd one) it's $130.00 with fees in Olmsted county.

5. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Well-Known Member

I've personally never heard of an adminstrative ticket, but I'll tell ya the regular tint tickets are $126.

tint tickets are NOT a moving violation so I wouldn't worry about them too much.

I asked about your tint when you were over, it looked a little dark, but not much. IIRC you said about 35% maybe?

Did he put a meter on the window? Or just a visual inspection?

Personally- If he didn't put a meter on the window I'd call the issuing station and talk about it. Moisture, dirt, road salt, and being it was at night can all play a factor on how dark the tint looks. I'd tell ask them to dismiss the ticket.

If he metered your window- pay the 60..that's cheap

6. qstarin

Forgot to mention - he did meter it - 33.

Sounds like paying the $60 is the way to go.

And people - I wasn't screwing around sliding around corners. I maybe gave it just a little pedal before pushing in the clutch to shift to second. If he saw anything it was snow spitting up from my tires.

But - he let that drop. He didn't ticket me for anything driving related.

Yes I know "pay to play". I'm not mad about getting a tint ticket. Mine's 35, the limit is 50. Just wondering how much the state ticket is. Sounds like its more, so I'll pay the $60 and move on.

Honestly, considering my history in my home town, I expected a LOT more harassement.

7. qstarin

Yeah - except the thing was I wasn't actually kicking the end around. And, no, people with rear wheel drive aren't able to corner without kicking their end around here. The roads haven't been plowed for at least 3 snows. 100% cover on the roads.

Oh, and if trolling and looking for any possible reason to pull someone over and check them out is doing their jobs, then I guess they are.

Personally, I think that's a broken system that encourages them to ticket for revenue.

It's like getting pulled for "rolling" a stop sign when you did not roll the stop sign.

Happens all the time in my experience.

That, IMO, is twisting what their "job" is.

Were they trying to catch people driving drunk? Probably. Is that their job? Yes. Does that mean they should stretch reality to create an excuse to pull someone over? F no.

Plus, you can generally ignore my opinions on law enforcement as I'm pretty biased due to my past experiences.

8. PRA4SNO

PRA4SNO Well-Known Member

A 60 dollar ticket for tint (especially one that is under a 3rd of the real fine) will hardly fill up the gas tank on a squad. He ticketed you because it was a violation, and it cant be overlooked.

An officer in a cruiser during the holidays is doing just that. Looking for any reason to pull you over. He is patrolling. In other states, there are road stops on holidays and random days. In GA one Christmas, we were stopped at 3 DUI checks over a 10 mile drive.

I'm not saying it wasn't a hassle, but I sure felt a lot safer driving around on those roads. Blame the a-holes who drive intoxicated, or those that hurt people doing stupid stuff in their cars, I have cops in my family, and they have seen some things on christmas they would do anything to forget.

9. ShortytheFirefighter

ShortytheFirefighter Pokemans. I has none. Staff Member

I drove a Mustang through 3 MN winters, as well as a number of other rear drive vehicles. I also see a number of rear drive vehicles driving around and not fishtailing all over. It is possible to not kick the rear end around while cornering, you just have to lay off the gas.

I'm not ragging on you. Like I said, I'm more than guilty of sliding around corners. However, it's another pay to play situation. It does give an officer cause to pull you over, whether you were in control or not. It's their job to investigate things like that. Whether or not you think they should have something better to do is a moot point. If there were something better to do (ie, a more serious crime being committed elsewhere) then they'd be on their way to it.

10. putz

putz Well-Known Member

I drive around in a car with a full side graphic, I get followed a block or 2 somtimes, but never realy seem to get pulled over, my car is like a giant "kick me" sign with tinted windows and an ugly "fart can" spewing exhaust gasses and making very loud boxer rubbles, and I just don't drive like a... well, I drive like a responcible adult.

^^^that may have little to do with the lack of getting pulled over....

I'm thinking that St Cloud cops might be better in this respect.

11. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

My car is impossible to not fishtail, a smoked viscous coupler and 26MM rsb make it a handfull. I hope to not get pulled over for it, but wright county cops like me, so we're all good.

12. PRA4SNO

AHH! Wright county cops. Exhaust ticket fiends.

that will be all.

13. AWDimprezaL

AWDimprezaL has more posts than you

LOL! Ive only been pulled over once for loud exhaust, he told me to take it easy in town otherwise it was fine....and my car is retarded loud.

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere BANNED

+10000000

15. PRA4SNO

lol. Got pulled over by badge 20 nearly 2 years ago for my stock exhaust.

He didnt even use decibel meter, and issued me a fix it! haha

he then pulled me over like 4 months later for having the quietest magnaflow (3"outlet tip) catback that nate made me.

grawr. chief of police at mound PD dismissed both of them.

16. yangsTa

yangsTa Well-Known Member

$60 is the way to go. Glad you arent paying more than you should.

17. RACEGIRL

RACEGIRL New Member

I work between 2 different courthouses and am surprised no one has said anything bout my exhaust yet. I think because they see my car there all the time they don't even bother with me. I guess during court one day the judges & attorneys were talking about how fun it would be to drive my car. I think with being a girl I get away with a bit more too and the cops & troopers are pretty cool around here--I only know of one who is a real prick.

18. Soupboy

Soupboy Well-Known Member

You should have asked if the $60 bought you some extra doriftodonuts at least...

19. TSTRBOY2004

TSTRBOY2004 Well-Known Member

meh on the way up to the Iron Range (Biwabik) I pulled over to check my wiper and there sat a State Patrol... I left it was slippery, my wife says.. what no sliding in front of mr Officer.... I said if you insist... I laid on it out of the gas station/side street adn got about 60 sideways witht he Statey all off about 80Ft away....

meh

20. nm+

nm+ Professional Hypocrite

Admin tickets are the new method for ticketing for minor violations they don't want to deal with court with.
    Essentially, you can either pay up or they'll charge you and you'll have a court date.
    Long, complex issue I'll go into later.

21. HoLsTeR

HoLsTeR Well-Known Member

why dont you just take the tint off now that you know its too much for MN?

that way this wont happen again. even if you bought the car like that doesnt mean its a free pass. now that you know its illegal to have that much tint id say its a good time to take care of it.

id take it to court though. depending on who the prosecuter is, you might beable to have it dropped if you can make them believe that you didnt know it was too much tint when you got the car from FL and that if you had known you would have taken it off before driving it on the street. and that you have already made sure its been taken care of...

22. nm+

nm+ Professional Hypocrite

In my court illegal tint when you come in is $50+ a dismissal.
    Oh and an admin ticket is basically to keep you from paying your tax to paw paw. Timmy takes $80 of every ticket and does whatever he wants with it (does not go to courts, law enforcment, or even roads). This allows true sub-$80 tickets.

A city I worked for is actually going to be doing this with speeding tickets if they can get the legality worked out. Smaller fines, no record, no insurance hikes, etc. :cool: Admin tickets are good for everyone but Pawlenty and his slush fund.

If you don't pay, this then becomes a regular ticket with all the advantages and disadvantages (this is not an end run around the courts, it just gives both of you an ablity to avoid the system). Most prosecutors see the admin ticket as an offer and likely won't give an admin ticket a good deal, but you mileage may vary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.